Never too old to learn

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":1rfm40wg said:
True Grit Farms":1rfm40wg said:
[
Sky should have a good time and learn a lot, it's easy to learn when your interested in the subject.

Yea I hope so and that last part of your sentence is definitely the truth
Glad you're going to learn to do it the right way. Those that don't are called "grinders" I believe. That's what I would be.. :lol: :lol:

D2Cat":75urugpf said:
Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect. You'll learn more with a good instructor at your side then a YouTube demonstration!!

Good point

JW IN VA":75urugpf said:
Never hurts to learn a new trade or a hobby.You can add a sideline welding limbs onto storm damaged trees :lol: :p Congrats on being smart enough to never stop learning

Well they told me the things i was doing wrong so i learned a lot today..

started out

IMG_20170304_092318922_zpszcaovne1.jpg

Towards the end of the day

IMG_20170304_100642927_zpszfo0mfnx.jpg

True Grit Farms":1w5ds39e said:
Looks like your heat is to low and your travel is to slow.

Yea that's what they said.. I am starting on coupons tomorrow and will play with the amps and speed tomorrow.

True Grit Farms":2s280ik6 said:
skyhightree1":2s280ik6 said:
Caustic Burno":2s280ik6 said:
Aluminum doesn't play nice that's at art form some can learn few master IMO.

That's what I heard.. Can you weld aluminum ?

Don't tell anyone aluminum is easier to weld and work with than steel or SS.

I was about to say I never had any problem welding aluminum - or stainless. I think a person can learn aluminum welding in about 30 mins. You need a MIG and a spool gun and the right type of shielding gas. Just need to learn to stop and move on about 3 seconds before you think you've got it filled. Otherwise a huge hole will form and then you will need to do a lot of filling. :lol2:

i weld everything except the crack of dawn and a broken heart....I do aseptic food grade pipe and tubing for processing food operations

dieselbeef":79qcwrd0 said:
i weld everything except the crack of dawn and a broken heart....I do aseptic food grade pipe and tubing for processing food operations

They train there on I think he said sterile welds or sanitary welds?

skyhightree1":3gre34h0 said:
dieselbeef":3gre34h0 said:
sanitary ...almost aeseptic

Oh ok... Yea I have learned a lot so far and may take a few of the weld tests

Sky, your coupon welds look very acceptable to me. Stick? 7018? Dig around there and see if you can find a good, dry 6013 and do the same weld and send me a picture. I think you will find the welds turn out looking like they were poured on with good penetration. Looks to me like you just needed someone to hold your hand for about 10 minutes - doin' good. Now vertical and overhead.

lavacarancher":1nalkt0n said:
skyhightree1":1nalkt0n said:
dieselbeef":1nalkt0n said:
sanitary ...almost aeseptic

Oh ok... Yea I have learned a lot so far and may take a few of the weld tests

Sky, your coupon welds look very acceptable to me. Stick? 7018? Dig around there and see if you can find a good, dry 6013 and do the same weld and send me a picture. I think you will find the welds turn out looking like they were poured on with good penetration. Looks to me like you just needed someone to hold your hand for about 10 minutes - doin' good. Now vertical and overhead.

Lava You are correct. Thanks... I will start vertical next week the instructor said I was doing really well compared to some hes had in the past. 7018 is a pain to restart and that's where a lot of my issues came from so after every pass I use a new rod. If I do well on overhead he said that test takes care of the 1-3g tests if I pass the 4g. He told me most people do not weld the positions I was welding in but whatever works for me go for it. I will see if I can find some 6013

Latest posts