Never said this before

Help Support CattleToday:

I echo your sentiments here in Middle Tennessee!! Don't get me wrong, I love the rain and know how precious it is but man, I need a couple of dry days to get some stuff done! I still have hay bales in the field that I need to put up!

We've lost around 40 bales to flood... Was almost dry enough to get them out of the field. Timed it right to get it cut and baled, but rain that evening......Now, underwater...

I'm not going to complain. Think we've had close to 10 inches since 6/1/17 but never know when it will quit and not get a drop for a month. And 100 degree days and just around the corner. My cows still have loose manure from the good green hi protein grazing. Never had that before in July that I can remember.

Its going to be a month before we can get back to cutting hay. And shredding, no telling when we can do that. Grass is over our cows heads.. Had a heifer with pneumonia last week. Luckily she went into the woods and I just barely saw her in there but did see her, otherwise she'd be dead now. If I have a calf or cow go down now, I wont see them till the buzzards are circling..
None of this water is soaking in anymore, its 100% runoff..

slick4591":1l3mftoi said:
Friend of mine at Roxton posted this pic of his road on the morning of the 3rd.

Yeah, that water flowed by a little while ago....lol..

TN Cattle Man":37x51tdp said:
I echo your sentiments here in Middle Tennessee!! Don't get me wrong, I love the rain and know how precious it is but man, I need a couple of dry days to get some stuff done! I still have hay bales in the field that I need to put up!

With all the rain we've been getting, and all the fronts that have come through, Ive been missed by the majority of the rain. If we do end on a drought, I will have a month jump start on everybody else. Brother just down the road has accumulated 5 or 6 inches in the last couple weeks. I'm at 3/10's.

When I left California during the drought I swore I'd never complain about rain and I'm not there yet but I'm starting to see why some people do...

TexasBred":3omievjq said:
I'm not going to complain. Think we've had close to 10 inches since 6/1/17 but never know when it will quit and not get a drop for a month. And 100 degree days and just around the corner. My cows still have loose manure from the good green hi protein grazing. Never had that before in July that I can remember.

Exactly. I remember when all the cactus died around here. Purple then brown shriveled up prickly pear. Everywhere. Mud and flood is way better than burn out

backhoeboogie":t34qwimd said:
TexasBred":t34qwimd said:

Exactly. I remember when all the cactus died around here. Purple then brown shriveled up prickly pear. Everywhere. Mud and flood is way better than burn out

:nod: :nod:

Having endured drought, a bunch of years ago, I vowed not to complain about rain or mud again! Since that drought, we had times where everything was muck and guck, and I was glad for the moisture.

0 chance of rain yesterday, none, nada, zip chance.....and what does it do, it rains last night. Sitting here thinking of what I left out that got wet.. ugh. Again, I should be happy it rains in July.

Bigfoot":3c2dic66 said:
TN Cattle Man":3c2dic66 said:

With all the rain we've been getting, and all the fronts that have come through, Ive been missed by the majority of the rain. If we do end on a drought, I will have a month jump start on everybody else. Brother just down the road has accumulated 5 or 6 inches in the last couple weeks. I'm at 3/10's.

It has all went around us, getting really dry here. With all this heat it dries out quick.

We got 1/10 inch... not enough to ruin the hay on the ground, but enough to water the lawn that I did get mowed yesterday.... Want to find our house, drive till you get to the rain, then turn right...

Latest posts