Never had this happen

Help Support CattleToday:

O.k. Here is the out come.
Our phone line's have been down so unfortunatly We were unable to check for reply's.
But, she did not drop the placenta. I did try to gently pull on it but It wouldn't come out so I stopped and just let it be.
She was sold yesterday and went for butcher.
When she left she had finally developed a slite bag but it was just better to cut our losses. We did however replace her as well so it kindof worked out.

sidney411":bjxodqr5 said:
Will the dairy take the calf back? Or will you have to haul it to the sale also? The dairy tht I get calves from will take them back in a few days if they don't work out with the cow. I don't know how much you paid for the calf but in my case I would probably lose money taking them to the sale.
Just a thought.

No unfortunatly the dairy's around here will only take the heifers back not the bull calves. Dairy bull calves are going for $160.00 at the dairy auctions but the closest dairy auction in over an hour away and for one calf it isn't profitable. The beef cattle auction close by wouldn't even bring close to it's purchase price.

We are now bottle feeding him and will turn him out once he is weaned and then be sold as a butcher cow.

Thank you all for replying! We haven't had anything like this happen before. Now we know what to do either way! :) Thanks again!!

Double R Ranch,
If nothing else, you've at least got part of the problem out of the way. Wish you could have gotten things to work a little better, but it's great that you found the brighter side. Good luck with the new mama.
If you're close enough to me, (Marlow, OK) I'll offer to buy the bottle calf to get him off your hands. We have a place that used to run Ostrich and Emu, so we have some awesome bottle calf pens :D . Last year at this time, I had about 27 calves on bottles/ weaning off the bottles. My youngest daughter is to blame: she got a beef bottle calf for birthday/Christmas from Grandma (what she begged for for nearly 3 months) so we thought if you're doing one, might as well do a bunch. Well, we ended up with around 80 bottle calves through here last year. None on the bottle right now (YEAH! no making bottles, treating scours, etc.) but should start again real soon. I buy all the bull calves from a local dairy.
For any others of you out there close to the Marlow, OK area I'd be glad to have any orphans or twins that need to split off (not enough milk, mom leaves one behind, whatever) that you end up with. We're in our second year of cow/calf production, so I don't mind doing some work to grow when and where we can. For a lot of folks, it's not worth the effort to feed one at a time. But that's going to be part of our operation for a few years anyway (then my wife can stop working outside and start doing it once I get our herd up to size -- DON"T tell her I said that!).

:roll: Just when you think that it is over you hit another dip. The new cow is lame. She didn't appear to be lame in the ring but I thought that I noticed it when they were loading her into the trailer.
Today she barely puts weight on it. I do not see any swelling but that doesn't mean anything. I am going to wait for a few days and see if she comes out of it. I am thinking that she slipped at the auction and twisted something. They don't exactly provide TLC there.
texhallMT, thanks for the offer. I am unfortunatly not anywhere near you but you are tougher than I am. I did bottle babies and like letting the mom's take care of them better. Until recently we have had good luck but lately it has been quite the learning experiance. ;-)
Take care

double r
call the sale barn where you bought her & if they are any kind of sale barn at all they will take her back & use their insurance to cover it.

jerry27150":5rss3mh2 said:
double r
call the sale barn where you bought her & if they are any kind of sale barn at all they will take her back & use their insurance to cover it.

Unfortunatly our sale barn is not out for the smaller guys. They have never been there for the smaller ranches. Most of the time they don't even see us bidding.

O.k. so the new cow is no longer lame. It has been close to 3 week and the vet said that she fell at the auction and did some soft tissue damage. She should be ready for breeding soon enough. She lost about 250 lbs while on " bed rest".
Last friday we were anxously waiting the delivery of a live healthy calf. The cow went into labor so I called a fellow cow guy to take a look and he determined that she was fine and to leave her alone. She continued labor and still nothing came out. She had slim but no calf.
Early the next morning, sometime inbetween my half hour checks she delivered a full term calf that was dead. After having lost the last calf pre-mature we decided to take this calf to the vet and have blood work and a necropsy done. By this time we had no idea if there was something going on in our herd.
The vet determined that the calf should have been pulled and that if it had been pulled it "should" have been fine. It was full turm and everything was normal.
Because of the loss of this and the last calf we decided to try and put the bottle calf, that was purchased for the previous cow, onto this mother.
Our vet advised giving her a dose of Ace and letting her sit for a half hour or so then turning her in with the calf whom was hungry due to no bottle that morning.
I am happy to report that she has taken the dairy calf, and as of this evening we have FINALLY had a LIVE calf born.
Thanks to all whom have replied!!!

Thank you. We hope so although it is looking as if some our other cows are not pregnant. We are trying to keep our heads up and ride this till it gets better. We know that these kind of years happen and we just hope that it will be ending soon :roll:

Latest posts