Never had that happen..

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score

Calf born with no tail.. flies are going to be tough for this one..

We had one born last February the same way. After doing some reading on it we are pretty sure it was due to endophyte poisoning from fescue during a early part of gestation.

Sadly ours was one of our best growing heifers. We took her to the butcher shop once the flies got bad. Couldn't leave her out there with no tail to swap the horn flies.

Umm... I'm pretty sure fescue endophyte doesn't cause fetal tail agenesis. But, if you can provide documentation, I've got an open mind.
Otherwise...its just an accident in fetal development/organogenesis.

I had one born 3 years ago out of donor cow. I was concerned about any genetic defects, so I took pictures and sent to ASA. Geneticist looked at it for them and assured me it was just "positioning" of calf in the womb. Healthy momma now.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I had one born 3 years ago out of donor cow. I was concerned about any genetic defects, so I took pictures and sent to ASA. Geneticist looked at it for them and assured me it was just "positioning" of calf in the womb. Healthy momma now.

That is interesting. I assumed that it was some sort of genetic mutation and was planning to beef the calf out. So there probably wouldn't be a concern if she turns out well to retain?

that is correct. I was extremely concerned since she was out of a donor cow I owned. That would have really sucked. But, the Simmental breed does not have any genetic defects in "our" breed, just other breeds used for upgrading or crossbreeding. All cattle produced with certain other breeds, like Angus, must be DNA tested for defects. I took lots of pictures from all angles the day she was born, but she was completely cleared - no problem.

Dave said:
As I have said here before. You will have to wholesale her, because you can't retail her.

No doubt. With no tail that dock would be extreme. Be lucky to get .60/ lbs.

Latest posts