Never fire an unwanted employee

Help Support CattleToday:

MillIronQH

Reaction score
I have a ball of about three hundred feet of bright yellow string. If someone needs to be run off. I just get the string and a few stakes out and start running a line to the well. Usually about 3:00 in the afternoon. When they ask what I'm doing I tell them lining out a water line for a new water trough. The first words are always where am I going to get the ditchwitch. When nI tell them they are going to have to dig it by hand... Well I've never had one show up for work the next morning.Z

Depends on how bad you need the money. Severals years ago when the power companies started to put some of their lines under ground i would contract to dig the trench after my regular hours. Minimum depth was 2 feet an as long as was required. Yep, dug it by hand for 25 cents per foot.

curtis":2g2j5ngy said:
Depends on how bad you need the money. Severals years ago when the power companies started to put some of their lines under ground i would contract to dig the trench after my regular hours. Minimum depth was 2 feet an as long as was required. Yep, dug it by hand for 25 cents per foot.

I'd expect soil type would make a difference, but around here that would work out to about 25 cents an hour between June and October. You'd be swinging a pick after you got down 6 inches.

The type people I'm talking about wouldn't dig that ditch for $25 a foot. These are the ones that if you fire them you know they going right straight on welfare.Z

MillIronQH":wo4uppxu said:
I have a ball of about three hundred feet of bright yellow string. If someone needs to be run off. I just get the string and a few stakes out and start running a line to the well. Usually about 3:00 in the afternoon. When they ask what I'm doing I tell them lining out a water line for a new water trough. The first words are always where am I going to get the ditchwitch. When nI tell them they are going to have to dig it by hand... Well I've never had one show up for work the next morning.Z

Smart

not trying to hijack the thread or nothing, but mentioning about going on welfare rather than work at a hard job, jogged my memory of an email i got here while back suggesting that since most if not all jobs require drug testing, why dont the gov. make it a requirement to be tested for drugs, and to be able to pass the drug test, and to be tested on a random but regular basis to get that monthly check.
i dont know how others might feel, but to this somewhat narrow minded, but hard worker, long hour putter inner, etc. i think its sounds good. my tax dollars could be used on something alittle more useful than a crack head, waiting at the mailbox waiting for thier government check.

samm

samm":3d4btjlg said:
not trying to hijack the thread or nothing, but mentioning about going on welfare rather than work at a hard job, jogged my memory of an email i got here while back suggesting that since most if not all jobs require drug testing, why dont the gov. make it a requirement to be tested for drugs, and to be able to pass the drug test, and to be tested on a random but regular basis to get that monthly check.
i dont know how others might feel, but to this somewhat narrow minded, but hard worker, long hour putter inner, etc. i think its sounds good. my tax dollars could be used on something alittle more useful than a crack head, waiting at the mailbox waiting for thier government check.

samm

Sounds like a good idea to me.

curtis":3k2fol3v said:
That was probably pretty good money at the time

carl

Carlos D.":3my9dbyd said:
curtis":3my9dbyd said:
That was probably pretty good money at the time

carl

Couldn't call in sick....Telephone hadn't been invented then.Z

MillIronQH":30npb5l8 said:

Ah yes, the fine art of making someone quit. I've praticed it in the past, saved on the unemployment insurance rating.

Alan

My grandfather told me to never hire a guy that wore gloves and smoked a pipe. If you have seen a pipe smoker you will know what he ment.

Things a kid will do for three hots and a cot.
And some computer money.
cattlepictures071.jpg

MillIronQH":21g0lsk6 said:

Thats a good one! Most of my guys work by themselves and on occasion they work with me or as a group for big jobs.

When I am needing to get rid of one, I move them to working all the time with me. I guess after a week or so doing things my way and at my pace instead of their own they decide it is time to move on.

Susie David":1zy1b5y1 said:
Things a kid will do for three hots and a cot.
And some computer money.
cattlepictures071.jpg

Hey! I've seen that kids face on my kids!
Alan

I've had that look on my face! :D

She's not a happy camper but it'll make her tough.(Did you tell her that? My parents told me that) She'll be on here in about 20 years saying I remember when my parents made me dig a ditch.....

I always hated digging up bermuda grass in the flower beds.