Never Ending

Help Support CattleToday:

The 7K acre lease next to me requires they feed year round.
It has made a huge difference .
Those city hunters love hunting hogs.
This is a typical litter.
View attachment 25120View attachment 25121
Nine in the top 11 in the bottom.
Now that, I could see being a problem. I don't know anyone around here that does that. Why do they require that they feed year round if they're only going to be hunting consistently for 4 months or so?

The 7K acre lease next to me requires they feed year round.
It has made a huge difference .
Those city hunters love hunting hogs.
This is a typical litter.
Do any locals down there let folks on their places to knock down a hog or 3? I know it's big business for hunting clubs in the pay to play game but for somebody just looking for a sausage pig or to teach kids how to have a steady hand with game in the crosshairs couldn't hurt could it? I know around here it's pretty hard for a landowner to open places up for hunting, there's always that one a-hole that burns the bridge for those who do respect others property. I imagine that happens everywhere. We don't have hogs here in Washington yet, I figure it's only a matter of time though. Read an article about some Canadian cross wild hog that's been along the border around Minnesota, bigger and tougher surviving the cold but that's just quoting the article.

Do any locals down there let folks on their places to knock down a hog or 3? I know it's big business for hunting clubs in the pay to play game but for somebody just looking for a sausage pig or to teach kids how to have a steady hand with game in the crosshairs couldn't hurt could it? I know around here it's pretty hard for a landowner to open places up for hunting, there's always that one a-hole that burns the bridge for those who do respect others property. I imagine that happens everywhere. We don't have hogs here in Washington yet, I figure it's only a matter of time though. Read an article about some Canadian cross wild hog that's been along the border around Minnesota, bigger and tougher surviving the cold but that's just quoting the article.
It's not real common because of liability.

In my younger days we hunted hogs for people. At one point between the group of us we had access to over 150K acres. My buddy and I were keeping count one year of how many hogs we killed as part of a deal on a forum. We hit 1000 hogs and the year was not over. We finally gave up counting.

Our "in" was always having some sort of connection with the land owners which was usually working cattle, building fence, hauling hay, etc. There was some word of mouth also. Even then we had to sign wavers and there were restrictions on guests and usually other rules that went along with it.

The same creek I talked about in the crappie thread has a bridge that goes across a nice dishing hole. When I was younger a lot of the people in the area would fish off the bridge and even jump down and fish the banks around that hole. We would generally stop when in the area and bs with the neighbors. It was not uncommon for a local grandpaw to have his grandkids all down and be fishing there. The usual deal... they would proudly tell my dad who they were and who there momma and daddy was. 😄

I remember telling my dad one time when I was real little... why do we let those people catch "our" fish. He made sure to tell me they weren't hurting any one and not every one had places to go so it was good to let them enjoy it too.

Fast forward to when I was a teenager people started dumping trash, they would travel down the creek and up on the property, they started breaking in to a barn, and it just went all down hill. The last straw was we came by and some people we didn't recognize were all down in the creek camping with junk every where. My dad stopped and talked to them and asked them to just make sure to clean up when they left. One of them started smarting off and being an a hole. They shut it down after that.

My dad went from... we need to share... to constantly being worried about liability... just in my short lifetime. It's sad but people and society in general ruined it for every one.

It's not real common because of liability.

In my younger days we hunted hogs for people. At one point between the group of us we had access to over 150K acres. My buddy and I were keeping count one year of how many hogs we killed as part of a deal on a forum. We hit 1000 hogs and the year was not over. We finally gave up counting.

Our "in" was always having some sort of connection with the land owners which was usually working cattle, building fence, hauling hay, etc. There was some word of mouth also. Even then we had to sign wavers and there were restrictions on guests and usually other rules that went along with it.

The same creek I talked about in the crappie thread has a bridge that goes across a nice dishing hole. When I was younger a lot of the people in the area would fish off the bridge and even jump down and fish the banks around that hole. We would generally stop when in the area and bs with the neighbors. It was not uncommon for a local grandpaw to have his grandkids all down and be fishing there. The usual deal... they would proudly tell my dad who they were and who there momma and daddy was. 😄

I remember telling my dad one time when I was real little... why do we let those people catch "our" fish. He made sure to tell me they weren't hurting any one and not every one had places to go so it was good to let them enjoy it too.

Fast forward to when I was a teenager people started dumping trash, they would travel down the creek and up on the property, they started breaking in to a barn, and it just went all down hill. The last straw was we came by and some people we didn't recognize were all down in the creek camping with junk every where. My dad stopped and talked to them and asked them to just make sure to clean up when they left. One of them started smarting off and being an a hole. They shut it down after that.

My dad went from... we need to share... to constantly being worried about liability... just in my short lifetime. It's sad but people and society in general ruined it for every one.
I know of no one that allows hunting or fishing on their places anymore. When I was a kid we just went hunting it was allowed everywhere.
It started down the same path as you stated Brute here as well, now you will get criminal trespassing filed on you in a heartbeat.
Now I forgot who ask about hunting the hogs there is plenty of National forest loaded with them you can hunt year around.

I know of no one that allows hunting or fishing on their places anymore. When I was a kid we just went hunting it was allowed everywhere.
It started down the same path as you stated Brute here as well, now you will get criminal trespassing filed on you in a heartbeat.
Now I forgot who ask about hunting the hogs there is plenty of National forest loaded with them you can hunt year around.
could lease a group the land for hunting, require them to have liability insurance.

Me and a couple of buddies lease some hunting land. We sign a lease agreement with the landowner that states we cannot hold them liable for any accidents that may occur.

The deer hunters (neighbors) shoot everything that walks which moves the hogs down the hog highway (the creek) to parts unknown. The creek provides most everything they need so I usually don't start seeing big groups again until mid-summer. People shoot bobcats and coyotes thinking they need to help the farmer protect his calves when all that does make nature out of balance and takes away a natural predator of baby hogs.

Pigs are very smart critters. I doubt bating them with poison would hurt their numbers in the long run. It hasn't made a dent for rats in the city, another very smart critter. Plus, the poisoned carcasses would be eat by yotes and other critters thus tainting a much bigger part of the ecosystem. Sounds like an all around bad idea.

I never had any where I've lived. I suppose my former place in NW Arkansas is overrun by now. So a couple of questions...

Does the damage done to pastures heal well? Maybe even make an improvement over time?

When and how did wild pigs get out of control? I've heard stories of people releasing pigs when prices were down. Other stories of hunters releasing feral pigs so they had target practice and it got out of hand. Some truth to both? Anything I'm missing? When did it begin?

And a comment on poisoning. What a can of worms that is. We've learned from past experience that poisons kill useful species. We can all dream about a world with no coyotes and black vultures but it doesn't stop there and we all know it. And even coyotes and black vultures do valuable things as long as they are not eating our calves.

I never had any where I've lived. I suppose my former place in NW Arkansas is overrun by now. So a couple of questions...

Does the damage done to pastures heal well? Maybe even make an improvement over time?

When and how did wild pigs get out of control? I've heard stories of people releasing pigs when prices were down. Other stories of hunters releasing feral pigs so they had target practice and it got out of hand. Some truth to both? Anything I'm missing? When did it begin?

And a comment on poisoning. What a can of worms that is. We've learned from past experience that poisons kill useful species. We can all dream about a world with no coyotes and black vultures but it doesn't stop there and we all know it. And even coyotes and black vultures do valuable things as long as they are not eating our calves.
The poison works and has been used for decades in Australia.
It's sodium nitrate the same thing we cure them with.
Hogs have a super low tolerance for it ingested.
The carcasses don't take out the scavenger either.
The catch is you have to use an approved application station that only hogs can get in.
At the Kerr Wildlife Management Area they determined the doors needed 20 pounds of pressure to open. The only critter that got in was hogs large enough to reproduce.
The pressure to not poison came from the hunting lobby not the farming.
Hogs are wonderful carriers and distributors for lepto and bangs that effect everything domestic and your deer.
They are prolific breeders if you have 100 hogs you have to kill 80% to stay at 100.
They can produce three litters a year as gestation is 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days.
The only thing that benefits from their pasture renovating is your diesel supplier.
They can transmit pseudo rabies to us as well as brucellosis.
Hogs are truly the ultimate survivor!! They are totally opportunistic and omnivores that don't cull anything.

No it does not heal well and it does not improve any thing.

There is absolutely nothing positive about hogs.

You cant hardly even drive in the pastures with equipment or vehicles.

The best thing you can do is fence them out so you can manage the few that still slip in.

The poison works and has been used for decades in Australia.
It's sodium nitrate the same thing we cure them with.
Hogs have a super low tolerance for it ingested.
The carcasses don't take out the scavenger either.
The catch is you have to use an approved application station that only hogs can get in.
At the Kerr Wildlife Management Area they determined the doors needed 20 pounds of pressure to open. The only critter that got in was hogs large enough to reproduce.
The pressure to not poison came from the hunting lobby not the farming.
Hogs are wonderful carriers and distributors for lepto and bangs that effect everything domestic and your deer.
They are prolific breeders if you have 100 hogs you have to kill 80% to stay at 100.
They can produce three litters a year as gestation is 3 months 3 weeks and 3 days.
The only thing that benefits from their pasture renovating is your diesel supplier.
They can transmit pseudo rabies to us as well as brucellosis.
Hogs are truly the ultimate survivor!! They are totally opportunistic and omnivores that don't cull anything.
Wow... kind of a perfect weapon.

Yeah, I've heard that pigs can't sweat so they can't handle salt.

Do you know anything about the history involved? What the hell happened and why?

It's the introduction of the Russian boar. You could take a hog dog in my youth and catch every hog in the county.
The domestic running the woods would bunch when bayed. The Russian doesn't play that way, if there is 20 hogs they scatter in 20 directions.
Heavy Russian influence 05A7D3B5-84D1-4E60-94C2-708D5F8D7F2C.jpegmore domestic influence
B6592D11-5263-4C18-AE1F-51BAB9ECB354.jpeg

It's the introduction of the Russian boar. You could take a hog dog in my youth and catch every hog in the county.
The domestic running the woods would bunch when bayed. The Russian doesn't play that way, if there is 20 hogs they scatter in 20 directions.
Heavy Russian influence View attachment 26094more domestic influence
View attachment 26098
Is Europe overrun with Russian boars? How do they handle them?

Latest posts