Nettles

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
Is there anyway to control them other than spraying ,I just now got a pretty good stand of red clover and wanted to save it. If not, should I spray after the next cutting of hay before I fertilize,or after the grass recovers? Never sprayed before, dang nettles.

Couldn't get back on before now ,had to be on the road for a few days. I''ve always called them bull nettles but they look like the carolina horse nettle in the link, Thanks. We didn't have any before last year,at least that I noticed untill I littered,but they bloomed and went to seed bacause I was on the road, so now they are beyond spot spraying.I talked to a fellow and he said to wait and spray after they bloom and the spray will kill the seed also. Is this true?

newrancher, a couple of things:

(1) You will not kill seed by spraying.
(2) If you kill the plant when it is blooming, there will not be any seed and therefore it is a moot point
whether the seed will be killed by spraying.
(3) Carolina Horsenettles are perennials with very deep and extensive root systems. It's pretty easy to
knock the blooms off them with various herbicides. Some plants will die completely, many will
survive to bloom again.

Thanks guys, I guess I've got a fight on my hands, cause I'm not gonna tolerate them. I've been offered sprayers to use, I just didn't want the traffic on the hayfield right now. This second cutting is gonna be critical for me.

Horsenettle in hay is a pain. When it is time to spray them it is also time to cut the hay.

Don't skimp on chemical either.

Latest posts