Net wrap

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Is it possible to put a net wrapper on a JD 535 and use either the twine or the net. I prefer net wrapped and the guy I bale with prefers twine since he puts it all theirs up as baleage.
I'm hoping I can mount the net wrapper and just leave it on but disabled when we don;t want to use it

Thanks

dun

I know with the Vermeers you can switch, but all the JDs I've ran just had twine on them.

cfpinz

dun":1d15elc9 said:
Is it possible to put a net wrapper on a JD 535 and use either the twine or the net. I prefer net wrapped and the guy I bale with prefers twine since he puts it all theirs up as baleage.
I'm hoping I can mount the net wrapper and just leave it on but disabled when we don;t want to use it

Thanks

dun

My guess. If you can put net wrap on a 535 there will be a way to switch from twine to net.

Not sure if that model has a net option. Call JD.

Our 535 has net, I believe it was an option when ordered. You can switch back and forth but once you try net you will hate twine. Net is less money for us in the long run anyhow. I bet there is a kit that you can get to add net, or find a parts baler and steal the net from it.

Sage":10rhigez said:
Our 535 has net, I believe it was an option when ordered. You can switch back and forth but once you try net you will hate twine. Net is less money for us in the long run anyhow. I bet there is a kit that you can get to add net, or find a parts baler and steal the net from it.
Not questioning you but I'm just curious how you figure that net is cheaper then twine.

Herefordcross":2vye1hw6 said:
Net tends to lower hay waste when it is being stored, transported and exposed to the weather
I don't have a net wrap baler but have bought hay wrapped with net.From what I have seen,Herefordcross is exactly right.

Price for the net must have really come down in the past five or six years. When I was looking for a baler I considered a JD but the cost of the net bales/rolls was absolutely prohibitive. I could buy several bales of poly twine for the cost of one roll of net. One roll (two - one for each side) of twine will wrap up a lot of bales of hay.

The net wrapped bales sure look pretty, though.

We used to do poly till last year, we experienced about 10% shrink from the time the bales were stacked till shipped in the fall - thats about 100-120lb per bale lost. The net is expensive to buybut like I said before cheaper in the end for us. The other big savings is time, we save about 12hrs of baler time on evey 1000 bales made. Figure what 12hrs is worth running a tractor and baler plus your time. The other thing is beating rainstorms, twice last summer I finished bailing a field and we had a downpour before I got back to the shed with the baler so the hay quality was maintained higher by getting it done quicker. Net was $198.00-$215.00 a roll and we can do 140-150 bales/roll.

Sage":of7i8r3c said:
We used to do poly till last year, we experienced about 10% shrink from the time the bales were stacked till shipped in the fall - thats about 100-120lb per bale lost. The net is expensive to buybut like I said before cheaper in the end for us. The other big savings is time, we save about 12hrs of baler time on evey 1000 bales made. Figure what 12hrs is worth running a tractor and baler plus your time. The other thing is beating rainstorms, twice last summer I finished bailing a field and we had a downpour before I got back to the shed with the baler so the hay quality was maintained higher by getting it done quicker. Net was $198.00-$215.00 a roll and we can do 140-150 bales/roll.

I have a JD 457 (4x5 bales). It cost me about $1.00 bale for net, if I use two full wraps. It is worth the money. The hay stores better, travels better, all around lots better.

As to Dun's question, you would have to change your computer (if your baler has one). The Bale Command computer by itself is around $1000 the last time I looked. The computer has the option of whether you want to tie with net or twine, and how many wraps you want to use. When I bought this new baler 3 years ago, the net wrap was about $3000 extra, the best I remember. If you had to buy a new computer as well as the net wrap attachment you are better off trading for another baler. The 7 series that I have, have just been replaced by the 8 series so you could probably find a 7 series that someone traded in.
FYI. 3 years ago, I paid $21000 for this 457 baler with net wrap, extra wide pickup, and megateeth. It replaced a JD 335 (4x4) round baler, no computer or net, that I paid $11,500 for in 1992.

I second farmer john's opinion. The net is well worth the money spent just in time savings alone. In good hay I can roll 10 extra rolls an hour using net than twine. If you figure most of your wear on a machine is when it is fully loaded look at the wear you are saving by putting two wraps of net and getting rid of it. Plus you save hay by allowing the water to run off. Dun I had a 435 with net and you could switch between net and twine. Before you try to buy a net wrap to add to your baler it would probably be cheaper to get a different baler.

The 5x6 round bales we buy are all net wrapped. Several years ago we got some with twine...had some losses. Our supplier net wraps 4 to 5 times around the bale. When we put a bale in a ring, we stand the bale on end, lower the ring, and then just walk around winding up the net in a ball. Found we had less waste by standing bale on end rather than on the side.

frenchie":2sch003p said:
J&T Farm":2sch003p said:
Nets great until feeding time. Then its a pain.

I got to agree...real pain when it freezes to the ground.

You will never have the problem of the twine freezing to the ground it has already rotted away by that time and the only thing left on the ground then is your feed.

When there's frozen snow or ice on a bale the tine is a lot easier to remove, that's for sure.

dun

somn":1cmw0arl said:
frenchie":1cmw0arl said:
J&T Farm":1cmw0arl said:

You will never have the problem of the twine freezing to the ground it has already rotted away by that time and the only thing left on the ground then is your feed.

Put that hay on old pallets and all those problems go away.

backhoeboogie":2tt9h6tc said:
somn":2tt9h6tc said:
frenchie":2tt9h6tc said:
J&T Farm":2tt9h6tc said:

What about dealing with the nails when the pallets rot? (Flat tires, hardware disease, etc.)

KenB":x0y7liaw said:
backhoeboogie":x0y7liaw said:
somn":x0y7liaw said:
frenchie":x0y7liaw said:
J&T Farm":x0y7liaw said:

What about dealing with the nails when the pallets rot? (Flat tires, hardware disease, etc.)

That's never been a problem. Pick the pallets up, if they come apart, pick up everything. You are not wanting them to function for more than a year at most. The bottom side of the bales stays green and pristine.

farmerjohn":38dusiu4 said:
Sage":38dusiu4 said:

I have a JD 457 (4x5 bales). It cost me about $1.00 bale for net, if I use two full wraps. It is worth the money. The hay stores better, travels better, all around lots better.

As to Dun's question, you would have to change your computer (if your baler has one). The Bale Command computer by itself is around $1000 the last time I looked. The computer has the option of whether you want to tie with net or twine, and how many wraps you want to use. When I bought this new baler 3 years ago, the net wrap was about $3000 extra, the best I remember. If you had to buy a new computer as well as the net wrap attachment you are better off trading for another baler. The 7 series that I have, have just been replaced by the 8 series so you could probably find a 7 series that someone traded in.
FYI. 3 years ago, I paid $21000 for this 457 baler with net wrap, extra wide pickup, and megateeth. It replaced a JD 335 (4x4) round baler, no computer or net, that I paid $11,500 for in 1992.

When I was looking at balers I was quoted close to 30K for the baler and the net was in the $300 -$400/roll range. Maybe the local JD dealer thought he saw a monkey comin'. That's what I meant when I made to comment about not being able to justify the green baler with the net wrap.

I do like the concept of the net wrap and the argument presented here makes a strong case for having it. Maybe I should look at it again when my old NH baler lays down and dies.