Nervous?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Alvin, my 23 year old 14.0 pony gelding, is sometimes skittish bareback. I rode him bareback the other day and he kept bolting and shying. This isn't usual because he is mostly scared of a llama across the street and my dog. Finally he was so skittish he bolted and swerved like a reining horse and threw me! Now I have a broken arm and no riding. It was windy and I thought he was afraid or having a off day. If not, any ideas?

[email protected]

> Alvin, my 23 year old 14.0 pony
> gelding, is sometimes skittish
> bareback. I rode him bareback the
> other day and he kept bolting and
> shying. This isn't usual because
> he is mostly scared of a llama
> across the street and my dog.
> Finally he was so skittish he
> bolted and swerved like a reining
> horse and threw me! Now I have a
> broken arm and no riding. It was
> windy and I thought he was afraid
> or having a off day. If not, any
> ideas?

Mar some horses and ponys DO NOT like the feeling fo riding bareback..Its suprising I know but they just don't mabe alvin is like that.Anyway when the wind is blowing horses can't smell and they rely on there smell almost as much or more than there sight.They will get dingy so I don't allow alot of riding when the wind is blowing.I allways think of safety FIRST !! Allamas always scare horses.I know of a famous Arabian stallion who was raised with allamas who excepted them as long as they were in there pen. But take them out to a show and he acted as though he had never seen them before..!! Never know!! Get well soon, Cindy

[email protected]