nervous mother here

Help Support CattleToday:

iowa hawkeyes

Reaction score
My son is driving by himself for the first time today. :help: He got his school permit yesterday and is driving to weightlifting. It wouldn't be as bad if we didn't live on such a busy highway. Gotta let them go sometime I guess.

iowa hawkeyes":2jwcfcll said:
My son is driving by himself for the first time today. :help: He got his school permit yesterday and is driving to weightlifting. It wouldn't be as bad if we didn't live on such a busy highway. Gotta let them go sometime I guess.
yep its scarey .... a man here when his started driving went around to every intersection and railroad crossing in town and weedeated and cleared brush back

When I read your post the memory of all 3 of my boys doing their first trip to Denver on their own came back to me. I will say a prayer for his safety and your sanity.

Ah I wouldn't worry to much, mine started driving 2 years ago, it seems the younger they are when they get behind the wheel the more they take to it like a duck to water. we worry they have a great time.

I have two teen drivers. When our oldest was 15, our neighbor's 16 year old daughter was killed in an accident leaving the high school. Silly, new driver mistake on her part. Great kid.

Made it very tough on a lot of parents in our area to let their kids start driving. I'd like to think it made my kids more aware of the danger, but I worry about them. My daughter will be taking a car to college with her in August. 3 hour drive. I was doing it when I was her age, along with plenty of stupid stuff, but it doesn't make it any easier on me. :( As far as I knew, I was immortal and bullet-proof when I was that age.

all kids think they are superman.so you just have to hope that they have common sense.an dont do anything to crazy or wild.

iowa hawkeyes":1b063039 said:

Times have changed. I was driving when I was 9. I could not reach the pedals all that good but grandad let me drive to the farm or follow him on the tractor. Now if I let my daughter do that someone would turn me in and I would probably get a ticket for child endagerment. My oldest is going to be 15 this year so I have all this to look forward to. I do let her drive alittle on the farm.

jay i knew a guy that lived in town.an his dairy was on the outskirts of town.an his son would drive from hom to the dairy every evening after school.an he was 9 or 10 maybe a lil older.

I know its unnerving but this is the time when all the tractor time and farm work is going to pay off. On top of that, judging from the pictures you've posted at least you won't have to worry about them hitting a tree.

Awww, another milestone on the road to adulthood. And a big one! I remember what a proud yet scary feeling it was to watch my son's taillights disappear up the road for the first time.

Shucks. It was liberating for us when the girls could drive themselves to basketball practice and what not. No more shutting down and taking them places. They had been driving all through the pastures for years, pulling trailers, backing trailers, driving the backhoe, caterpillar, loader and tractors.

Of course, you always have to worry about the other idiots. The eldest had her heart set on this itty bitty car. I told her I'd buy her a new full size truck (and the gas) that had to last her through college. A year and a half later a dude hit her head on with my other daughter riding passenger. I was so glad she wasn't in that itty bitty foreign built turbo charged go-cart. It was bad enough as was.

She got through college in a pick-up and traded it in on a Tahoe. She regrets ever parting with that pick-up truck.

Baby girl still has her pick-up truck.

Thanks for the encouragement. It'll take a while for me to get comfortable with this. He won't carry any passengers, his sister is in a different town for school. It's funny, he's been driving the 9620 this spring and last fall, but it's just hard to stick him in a car (my 98 buick park ave). He's cautious though and just needs to do it. It is really nice not to have to drive him in, but it is only 4 miles. He'll get a pickup sometime, we'll work out the kinks with the car.

I wouldn't let either of my 2 sons drive without me until I felt comfortable while they were driving and I was the passenger. Took them awhile :lol2: I was so slow to be comfortable.
Valerie

Yep doing that now too. My son got his license in April, first time he drove to school to meet the bus, I went in the barn, couldn't watch them drive down the driveway, since then he has made many trips by himself,and its gotten easier. Do you find that you have a hard time driving with him as a passenger? It makes me kind of nervous still, he thinks its kind of funny, told he he doesn't like me being a backseat driver-can U imagine that? LOL

GMN

Latest posts