Nelore

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Delagarza, You will probably know the most about these cattle. The Nelore are suspose to marble well. Can you tell me how well? Secondly I've heard they are wild, is this true.

Ollie":18fx9j6c said:
Delagarza, You will probably know the most about these cattle. The Nelore are suspose to marble well. Can you tell me how well? Secondly I've heard they are wild, is this true.

yes, indeed they marble, how well it's a hard question to be due that in Mexico we don't have ultrasound tests yet, and what you herd is correct, they are wild when you don't take care of them. Bos Indicus breeds are famous to be wild but I think that all breeds have some of wildness if they aren't worked the correct way. My experience with mines I should say they aren't wild but I know some herds that they are and it's cause when herds are not managed the correct way.

FWIW: Seems like I read (years ago) that they marble and/or taste better or are more tender than other bos indicus breeds. But I don't know if that's still the case --- the J. D. Hudgins type Brahman cattle may be just as good if not better. Remember that they are still indicus and you aren't going to get them to marble like an Angus or Shorthorn. As to disposition I think you can more readily find indicus cattle at the extremes more so than with English or Continental breeds -- very wild if mistreated and dog gentle and darn near affectionate if treated "kindly". Many years ago it seems like most Brahmans here in Texas, especially the bulls, were ornery critters but my observation is that has pretty much been bred out. Arnold Ziffle

I just went to the Oklahoma State cattle breeds site and found a pretty lengthy review of the Nelore breed. I don't know how objective the writer was, but what is written there "sounds" pretty good. You may want to give it a read. Arnold Z.

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

In years past we worked with a lot of Gyr cattle. I don't think you can do anything to make them anything other then big friendly playfull and affectionate dogs.

dun

Anonymous":3vci976s said:
FWIW: Seems like I read (years ago) that they marble and/or taste better or are more tender than other bos indicus breeds. But I don't know if that's still the case --- the J. D. Hudgins type Brahman cattle may be just as good if not better. Remember that they are still indicus and you aren't going to get them to marble like an Angus or Shorthorn. As to disposition I think you can more readily find indicus cattle at the extremes more so than with English or Continental breeds -- very wild if mistreated and dog gentle and darn near affectionate if treated "kindly". Many years ago it seems like most Brahmans here in Texas, especially the bulls, were ornery critters but my observation is that has pretty much been bred out. Arnold Ziffle

What I have been able to cull from the net they seem to do well on poor feed. True? However, as discussed on this site, white hided cattle do not do well at the sale barn. Plus, how hard is to to aquire this breed in the USA? Just Curious.

couple of yrs ago a breeder in the assoc sold a bull and semon to to S America, the straight calves looked like fawns and the murray X calves were 1/3 wider.

Red":f92hr20j said:
What I have been able to cull from the net they seem to do well on poor feed. True? However, as discussed on this site, white hided cattle do not do well at the sale barn. Plus, how hard is to to aquire this breed in the USA? Just Curious.

but if you use Nelore blood with your Angus, Simmental, Hereford or any other English or Continental breed you will be more than happy with your F1's calves and they wont be white. I had never seen a Nelore cross to be white with the only exception of Charolais crosses.

We have Nelore cattle in US for more than 15years. Today we have data on 350 steers graded by Texas A&M and Texas Department of Agriculture and our average carcass quality is 82% choice, 66.5 Dressing percentage, yield grade 2.7 and the tenderness on 25 animals were 6.8 Lbs. Regards the disposition, the Nelore breed is like any other Zebu or Brahman, depends on how they are handle. We have at our ranch almost 1000 Nelore animals and we have just two cowboys. One men can bring them to the pin and AI a group of 150 cows.

Latest posts