Neighbourly thing to do.

Help Support CattleToday:

Guy that owns adjoining property doesn't actually live there (he has a shed without electricity or water, sleeps in his truck), but we couldn't ask for a better neighbor. He is a strange ranger; mid 60's, never married, kind of a hermit, teeth are optional and he has one of those wandering eyes (which makes conversations awkward). He's on the back section of our property more than we are. Why? Well, because he spends hours & hours, clearing paths, removing down limbs, mowing, cutting down noxious shrubs, fixing fences, replacing old barbed wire gates with expensive metal ones - you name it. He refuses payment but will accept gas/diesel fuel, Mountain Dew and deer corn. And no, he doesn't hunt. But he'll fill up buckets of corn from the grain tote in one of our sheds, take them out to my husband's blind, and fill his feeder. He's like a ninja - we never know when he's on our property, but sometimes he'll leave a note, or we'll see red flags he's strategically placed where he wants to make a new path, or something just looks different. Couple weeks ago, I came down to the barn & he was there. Chatted for a while and I walked over to shut the barn doors (in anticipation of rain) but one of them was stuck, almost off the track. The barn was built in the 30's & each door weighs a good 1000+ lbs. Anyway, muttered to myself I'd deal with it later and left to feed the cattle. Came down the next morning and the door was fixed, they were shut & securely latched.

Guy that owns adjoining property doesn't actually live there (he has a shed without electricity or water, sleeps in his truck), but we couldn't ask for a better neighbor. He is a strange ranger; mid 60's, never married, kind of a hermit, teeth are optional and he has one of those wandering eyes (which makes conversations awkward). He's on the back section of our property more than we are. Why? Well, because he spends hours & hours, clearing paths, removing down limbs, mowing, cutting down noxious shrubs, fixing fences, replacing old barbed wire gates with expensive metal ones - you name it. He refuses payment but will accept gas/diesel fuel, Mountain Dew and deer corn. And no, he doesn't hunt. But he'll fill up buckets of corn from the grain tote in one of our sheds, take them out to my husband's blind, and fill his feeder. He's like a ninja - we never know when he's on our property, but sometimes he'll leave a note, or we'll see red flags he's strategically placed where he wants to make a new path, or something just looks different. Couple weeks ago, I came down to the barn & he was there. Chatted for a while and I walked over to shut the barn doors (in anticipation of rain) but one of them was stuck, almost off the track. The barn was built in the 30's & each door weighs a good 1000+ lbs. Anyway, muttered to myself I'd deal with it later and left to feed the cattle. Came down the next morning and the door was fixed, they were shut & securely latched.
That's gold right there! Wish I had at least one neighbor that wasn't out to get me...... They all hate me because I bought the land they all hunted for the 40yrs prior to purchase. I find things go missing, my fences cut, see people riding 4wheelers etc. I was even thratened by a few. Sheriffs wont help, found out they are blood kin.
I Just can't win...

That's gold right there! Wish I had at least one neighbor that wasn't out to get me...... They all hate me because I bought the land they all hunted for the 40yrs prior to purchase. I find things go missing, my fences cut, see people riding 4wheelers etc. I was even thratened by a few. Sheriffs wont help, found out they are blood kin.
I Just can't win...
That sucks! We did have a few issues with the hunting group that leased some adjoining property. For years, they took the liberty of hunting on our property, even fishing in the watershed lake. Spot lighted me one night when I was coming back from my blind and that's when we had a little come-to-Jesus conversation. Fortunately, the landowners did not renew their lease.

This is what I'm talking about. Discovered yet another new gate today. Not quite finished and he clearly was thinking outside the box, getting it attached. I'm honestly not sure we've ever used that old barbed wire gate. But if it makes it easier for him to access our property - knock yourself out, Larry!

Attachments

• IMG_20201208_161129884.jpg
    IMG_20201208_161129884.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 9