Neighbors

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Recently, I was breeding a cow late. After sunset. I set up a flood light on the squeeze chute. I was about done when I saw headlights pulling into the driveway that leads to my shop and handling facility. I am getting organized for letting the cow out. I hear shoes contacting the gravel as someone walks up to me. Light was in my face and I didn't know who it was. They stop short of coming into the chute area. "Ron, are you all right." I knew the distinct voice. "Fine, Johnny, just breeding a cow." "I didn't know, never seen you out here with lights, I thought you were having trouble."

We talked a few minutes in the dark. I told him how much I appreciated him coming over.

I have done some expensive services for Johnny. We share 4000 feet of fenceline. The second time I met him 4 years ago, I ask if he would go half on replacing the fence. I said I would like to push it totally out (it was overgrown and some very large trees). He said, I cannot pay for pushing it out. I said if you pay half on the fence, I'll push it out. He ask where I would put the old fence and brush, trees, etc. I said, the slope is towards me. Be easier to push it down the hill and into my hollers as I go. I could tell he was cautious. He said ok. We now have a wonderful, woven wire fence, treated post, put in by professionals. When we settled, he added $200. Said I feel bad not to pay on the time and cost for your dozer. I said Johnny, we both got what we needed out of this. Never give it another thought. It made a great outcome. Johnny, has helped me more than anyone. Doing something good always pays you dividends!

Sounds like a nice guy, we have had some really nice folks to live around to. You know if everyone minded there own business all the time. people would never do things like that.

I am lucky to have him. He is the only man in the county that those I have respect for, have never said a single bad word about him. Most say, he is the best neighbor you will ever have.

Denver, that is a thoughtful comment, "You know if everyone minded there own business all the time. people would never do things like that." Good things can happen when you pursue them.

I also put in fence between me and the neighbor on the north side of my farm. One of the adjoining owners and I share about a 1000 feet. I knew he was not a man with financial security but I still knew it was right to allow him to participate if he wanted to. I told him I wanted to put in a good fence and he said he could not help. I told him it was not a problem (he doesn't keep stock on his side, has two horses but keeps them up near his barn).

I paid to upgrade the fence and used my dozer to make improvements but I didn't put in the kind of fence Johnny and I did. Tragically, his wife was killed on US 68 coming home after work from her nursing job at the Maysville Hospital. I don't often stop to see him but when I do, I see a great grief on him. He is really a good neighbor. He has never acted against my interest.

Recently, he received a large financial settlement for her death. I could not be more pleased for anyone. But he was one of those rare people who really had found his soulmate. Nothing will ever replace that. He has looked me in the face and I knew how sincere his words where when he told me she was the only woman he ever found that filled the void. I beep my horn when I see him outside.

hillbilly beef man":dq630417 said:
My neighbors would come check on me if they saw me doing anything in the daylight; I have more headlamps than Bass Pro for a reason.

Really? What ya'll cookin in the dark over there? :mrgreen:

I've always found that the best way to deal with neighbors is to give more than you take whenever possible. The good ones notice and try to respond in kind whenever they can and the bad ones don't have a leg to stand on to argue with you.

cow pollinater":2304an0o said:
I've always found that the best way to deal with neighbors is to give more than you take whenever possible. The good ones notice and try to respond in kind whenever they can and the bad ones don't have a leg to stand on to argue with you.
Wise policy. :nod:

inyati13":14wppns4 said:
cow pollinater":14wppns4 said:
Wise policy. :nod:
Yep.

denvermartinfarms":1gmrnsr2 said:
Sounds like a nice guy, we have had some really nice folks to live around to. You know if everyone minded there own business all the time. people would never do things like that.
When I first came over here to Thrifty I had a "good" neighbor tell me " You know more people in 6 weeks then I've met in 6 years! ". I kind of like to know who is around I suppose.

cow pollinater":1rk36kl1 said:
Doesn't stop some trying though. We've come across several of the type whom, when you do something nice, will never say thanks and will still expect the same the next time, while continuing to be a pain in the thing in return. It's the luck of the draw, I guess.

I found my neighbors name on the plat map and looked him up on the internet.
I was reluctant to call a stranger, but I called him and told him who I was and asked if he could give me some info on the place I was looking at.
He answered all my questions and added some other things that were helpful.
Then told me where he lived and that if I ever needed anything to call or come by and if I didn't need anything to stop by anyway and he'd show me around his place and how he does things since I'm from a different area and cold and snow not being an issue.
That's what I like about country people, they are just good friendly people
I spend 2-3 days every couple weeks around DFW and they have zero tolerance for anyone.
They are always fighting with their neighbors or each other all the time
I guess that comes from being so crowed and the traffic, it's root hog for them everyday

When we moved to our place, we had several bad neighbors, but we stuck it out, they've moved, and we have better neighbors now, and get along pretty well with all of them... we don't see a whole lot of them, we talk over the fence and have a beer once or twice a year, I've lent a hand loading the piggies into the truck (that was fun), and we've bought turkey from them for christmas too... It's certainly nice to have people around who you can at least feel confident turning your back on.

I'm glad to hear you've got some good neighbors. I've got a couple that are some of the best people you'll ever meet. I've got about 4 that I keep close cause I don't trust them. They filed a civil suit against me for building chicken houses after I had their blessing, and it caused me a lot of grief about 4 years ago. Half a million dollar loan, grading, all had to cease until a mediation that led to a court date 18 months out, with interest piling up and no way to pay it. Needless to say, no chicken houses and a lot of licking my wounds. I speak to them and put on a smile, but I can bet you there will come a time when they need me and I'll just keep walking. I don't wish any ill will on them, still pray for them, but it still eats away at me!

good neighbors are great to have.i have neighbors i rarely see out.but i can call on them if needed.