Neighbors Place

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Neighbor died last week, kids have already started hauling all the cattle to the sale barn.
It amazes me to see sixty plus years of work on a beautiful place sold off as fast they can.

Caustic Burno":qwogqkj2 said:
Neighbor died last week, kids have already started hauling all the cattle to the sale barn.
It amazes me to see sixty plus years of work on a beautiful place sold off as fast they can.

CB, yep it is amazing to see something like that. I had an uncle & aunt who raised dairy cattle for 40+ years, chickens too... always had a huge vegetable garden, fruit trees, pecan crops.. 550 acres. When they died, their only son (who never helped in the operation much at all), sold most of it except 90 acres, and now lives their with his 3rd wife, and the place is all junked up. Even though he is my cousin, I cant stand to go out there and see the way it is now. I know it was his place to do what he wanted, but, I am sure his Dad and Mom are rolling over in their graves.

Caustic Burno":251kskxd said:
my oldest son jokes with me, about sticking my ass in a nursing home and selling the place one day :p but he seem too love the place as much as me..... yep its a bad deal you get the place were you want, with hard work and sweat... im fortunate and been blessed in the fact i did it though, even if it sold after my death

yes its a very sadd deal when someone dies.an the kids start hauling the cows to the sale barn.an putting the equipment an land up for sale.ever since my neices an nephews was little.i pounded the farm in their heads.an that its a part of our blood life an heart of the family.an to never sale the land cows or equipment.an to come home an keep the farm running.

Yes ,it is very sad. It happens here all the time. What is really hard is when you knew the person that work his whole life. Not to be rich ,just to be satisfied he was able to leave something for his family.

Joy of Texas":17x7z08q said:
Yes ,it is very sad. It happens here all the time. What is really hard is when you knew the person that work his whole life. Not to be rich ,just to be satisfied he was able to leave something for his family.
aint that the truth... the life is rich enough..

Caustic Burno":17jjvppq said:

I suppose none of the kids wants to put out hay. Selling in December. That is just giving it away. Too bad.

Caustic Burno":1cnwdhua said:

Everyone has different dreams. I am living mine each and everyday!
I hope all on here are also.

I have told my family, that after I am gone.
Break it up and sale it piece at a time. I sure as heck hope that all my kids find their dream, their bliss and live it everyday. Dont live my dream. Life is to short to take care of a herd or even a single cow you dont love just because Daddy did....

My thoughts, Merry Christmas everyone!

Its sometimes sad to see a life's work go down the tubes. Maybe someone will take it over and dress it up even nicer. I understand what Redfornow is saying and I agree. But if the kids don't want to run it they need to at least be smart about getting rid of it. If they don't, they stand to lose a lot of money. But hey, I like bargains!

It is too early to determine what will happen with the fourth generation for us on the land we have. Two girls could get several acres someday.

Being in my mid forties, plans are being made for this. I have seen property eat up and break apart families. I have seen money hurt the drive to succeed and put their signature on this World in some youth. These revelations are learned from within my family and without.

One of my goals in life is to teach them how to deal with the wealth they will have one day whether it be in common sense, love, property or money. The Lord is a given.

Caustic Burno":12u877uu said:
Everyday occurance, not amazing. Oftimes when there are several heirs this is the only way out.

Wewild":2wmhwl57 said:
It is too early to determine what will happen with the fourth generation for us on the land we have. Two girls could get several acres someday.

Being in my mid forties, plans are being made for this. I have seen property eat up and break apart families. I have seen money hurt the drive to succeed and put their signature on this World in some youth. These revelations are learned from within my family and without.

One of my goals in life is to teach them how to deal with the wealth they will have one day whether it be in common sense, love, property or money. The Lord is a given.

Good post, Wewild .

Larry

redfornow: Have to agree with you 100%! If the farm isn't your thing then you need to do your own thing. I told my son: Don't be stupid. Think like a businessman. Sell the land, cattle, equipment for the best price possible...if that is your desire...but don't do it until I'm dead!
We all get to control our own little "empire" in this world, whatever that is? But when we are gone someone else gets it and it is theirs to do with whatever they decide is best for them.

I hope and pray that I will know when My time is about up.
I would like to either try to sell to someone that will carry on what I have done or at least be able to liquidate most of my assets myself.
I would put the money in some kind of trust. I guess I want to be in control even after I am gone.

A lot of the love of the land has been lost due to the fact the father wanted the kids to be hired help without pay. The father never let them really enjoy the fruits of the farm or ranch. I know that is the way it was with me. I still like the land and do some ranching. My kids grew up paritialy on the farm. There was never enough money to go around for them to have some of the better things in life. My daughter and her husband are lawyers and like to come out and fish and hunt and ride the 4 wheelers. My son , manages a banking facility and he and his wife and children are so involved in things for the church community and civic organizations that they have no time for the farm. Land is to high and the work is to hard for most of the young people. I wished I had never seen a farm and spent my time in a good career that I left several times to be a dairyman. It took three times for me to relize that dairying was not for me. Now I am running a cow calf operation and will proable sell land and cows the in next few years and leave the money to the kids. If they want rural real esatate then they can buy it. I suppose the selling of the legacy assets is Gods way of passing the land into someones hand that appreciates it.

My parents want to slow down, not quite retire, but wnat to be able to do some things other than be on the farm all year, and get a little out of the day-to-day affairs of it, and it was such a hard decision for me to decide wether or not to go backmy biggest problem was being able to get along with my father as some of his old habits (and mine too) have to die.. I'm the only child, so if I wasn't going to go back to the farm, it would have been up for sale, and well, it's home to me, I couldn't bear to see that. the other aspect of it is that I have no family other than my parents, and it's going to be pretty isolated up there, though I'd rather be lonely and alone than lonely around 2 million people.

When I'm old and gray, if I have kids, I don't know what I'd do, but for now I'm thinking if they don't want to be on it and work it and go through the sacrifices that my parents and by then I will have made, then they don't get to sell it, either it will become a foundation, or sold and most of the money goes to a worthy cause

The way I look at it now is that without the place, I'd be homeless, even though I have a roof over my head

Caustic Burno":25x2mk5m said:

CB, I know that is hard to watch, especially if the feller was your buddy.

Sad thing to me is all the folks that come on here trying to figure out how they can get started with cattle. As we read their questions and their stories, we all know that about the only way to do it on anything bigger than a hobby scale is to inherit it or spend a lot of money that you've made somewhere else. Those folks are trying to figure out how the heck to get started and the ones you are talking about are trying to figure out how to get out of it. I guess that's the way of life. One man's dream is another man's nightmare.

Another sad fact is that oftentimes, the idiotic inheritence tax rules in this country drive people to these decisions. Especially if a person inherits a lot of capital assets with very little cash.

Latest posts