Neighbors cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
We have just come out of winter and have yet to have rain so the veld is dry and has verrry little nutritional value.

My neighbor has two dairy cows, each has a two month old calf at their side, plus X bred bull(beef x dairy). The bull is not doing too badly but the 2 cows are as thin as a rake and have huge 'grass bellies'.

About a week ago he opened the animals in to another camp...again, just dry veld. They stand looking over at my place mooing most of the day then eventually just lie down at the fence, I think I'm going to go mad.

I could -
1) Drop off bales at the top of the camp where he won't notice it's me.
2) Go and speak to him.
3) Take him some bales telling him I had some to spare.
4) Report him to Animal welfare.
5) Try and ignore the hungry animals and hope it rains very soon.

I know what I have to do but it will be interesting to hear how others would approach a similar situation. Please let me have your opinions...

I have pics of the animals but will refrain from posting them.

Always... #2 first. Just don't go in 'with guns blazing', as I'm often wont to do...
Perhaps he doesn't realize HOW bad they look; you'd be surprised at the number of cattle folks who will 'count heads', but not really LOOK at their cattle. Owning cattle does not automatically endow one with the knowledge to care for them appropriately. Some people need some help and gentle education as to how they can best care for the animals in their charge.
Or, perhaps he's in a tight spot financially... in which case, he might be better off selling those animals while they're still able to walk through the sale ring.

As others have said, I would start with option #2. Maybe have a bale or so in the back of the truck when you talk to him. Offer it to him if you think he will accept.

If it looks as if the rains will come and (veld ?) grass grow offer fair market value for stock and a lease on the space for the season.
Assuming rain there may be value for value which will allow you to recoup the cost of any feed you are out and gain extra grazing for
the season. With any luck you may both gain a good neighbor. God Bless

I would try to speak with them and judge their attitude. I think that will tell you exactly what to do.

Dont feel bad if you have to call them in. It's on them... not you.
Exactly we have post of poor BCS on this site.
Poor cattle reflect badly on us as an industry. Perception becomes reality.

My neighbor from California calls me his mentor. He starves his cattle. He asks me what I think and I tell him he has way to many animals on his little farm. He ignores me. He needs about 7 or 8 cows. He has 25.

He asks me how to improve his grass, I tell him sell most of your cows. He ignores me.

He thinks he can get rid of his crappy grass by grazing it down to the roots and then he can plant something better. I tell him that won't work. He ignores me.

Ge thinks he can make up for lack of grass by feeding hay year round. I tell him just look at your cows compared to mine. Once again he ignores me.

We have the cleanest divider fence line in Navarro county. I tell him his cows are tearing up our fence. He ignores me.

I now tell him not to tell people I am his mentor. I hope he doesn't ignore me.

Here's our fence.20191117_143006.jpg

My neighbor from California calls me his mentor. He starves his cattle. He asks me what I think and I tell him he has way to many animals on his little farm. He ignores me. He needs about 7 or 8 cows. He has 25.

He asks me how to improve his grass, I tell him sell most of your cows. He ignores me.

He thinks he can get rid of his crappy grass by grazing it down to the roots and then he can plant something better. I tell him that won't work. He ignores me.

Ge thinks he can make up for lack of grass by feeding hay year round. I tell him just look at your cows compared to mine. Once again he ignores me.

We have the cleanest divider fence line in Navarro county. I tell him his cows are tearing up our fence. He ignores me.

I now tell him not to tell people I am his mentor. I hope he doesn't ignore me.

Here's our fence.View attachment 246
Time for electricity IMO.

I would offer "extra" bales while mentioning they look a little malnourished. In a polite way. That said, I share a fence with an older neighbor that rarely tends to his cattle but that's how he is and won't change his ways. And he knows I go into his pasture and occasionally feed cubes, even spray for flies, because some of them break my heart. I sent a picture to his grandson of a cow with a horrible wound, looked like proud flesh, but his reply was that she had cancer - evidently they were just waiting for her to die. Good fences make good neighbors and as a general rule, I really like this guy. Plus, his family is huge in this town (some trees don't fork!). I usually shake my head & walk away - maybe it's really none of my business.

Alison, sounds like similar conditions to here. Spring tried to happen in September from a bit of residual moisture but things have dried up big time over the last couple of weeks and we are scratching around for something for them to eat. Hopefully the storms will start up the latter part of this month. Do you have African Lovegrass there? We certainly have it here. Sounds like what those cows are trying to live off. People do have a bit more respect for it now after the drought of the last couple of years. It has helped a lot of cattle survive.

Ken

Ken, Spring tried to happen here too and along came a couple of cold fronts, frost knocked everything off. The night temps are only starting to warm up now, I even went for my first swim today :) .
We have A. Lovegrass here, we refer to it as Eragrostis. Being new to this area I'll have to wait for the rain to see what pops up, there is a little Bermuda and Redgrass I see.

All the best there, hope it rains soon.

On Monday I had to go to town so decided to pop in at neighbor when I got back. Arrived home at 11ish and there was not a cow in sight...all gone. I thought perhaps he had moved them to another camp but don't hear them so really don't know l:unsure:. Am rather relieved...

I was going with #2 as you all suggested, may still have to...time will tell.

Latest posts