Neighbor's Calf In Our Pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
We went over to the lease this evening to combination fish/check cattle/check fences. Two thirds of the fencing is in terrible condition, patched and repatched, etc. There is one side that is mostly good, I want to think a six or seven strand that is stretched well-except for a few spots where the neighboring Angus bulls were up starting fights with my bulls the last couple years.

We noticed as we headed across the pasture that a black calf was on our side of the fence, wandering along the fenceline. I tried to get him worked back through the spot by the pond where I recently took the tree off the fence, temporarily fixing the fence. He was too spooky. He would alternately wander the fenceline, then follow our cows, who wanted nothing to do with him-I think because he was probably trying to steal milk; when he got close they attempted to butt him. I tried to move him into the corral, nothing doing. Wife finally contacted the neighbor, who said he would go over in the morning and try to get him up.

The owners of the land and the owner of the black calf do not get along well; they say that he fenced off most of the pond for his side after he purchased most of the land from their family, and that it is actually supposed to be half theirs. They are supposed to have it surveyed at some point to prove it.

My problem is that I am obligated tomorrow morning, and I can not be there. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I think you have done all that is required. Don't think another thing about it.

greenwillowherefords":2573l3te said:
Wewild":2573l3te said:
I think you have done all that is required. Don't think another thing about it.

I wouldn't, except I'm worried about my own cows.

How so?

youve done your duty. you tried to put the calf back and you called your neighbor to tell him his calf is on your place. if you happen to be able to drive it back or catch it in your lot then thats great. part of being a good neighbor. but the onus is on him to come get his calf.

Did you try to pen all of your cows and this calf together?or were you just trying to put the one calf in the lot by his self.

All ways easier to pen all, than just one or two.

I'm with Wewild why would you be worried about your cattle?

GWH

I do not understand how you can be worried about your animals. They are home and you are fine.

Your animals happen to have a guest in with them.

If it is healthy and not causing a ruckus - well, i would inform neighbour and then be off to work or whatever.

It is their problem as well.

Leave it for now and get to it when you can - but get to it with help from your neighbour. After all it is their animal.

Bez

By this morning the calf may well have found his way back on hs own. The Mrs. has spent hrs trying to get a calf back in the pasture to no avail. Then when we both go down later to try, it's in lookin like it was never out causing trouble. I figure they'll find there way back when they get hungry enough.

Thomas went to bed shortly after he wrote this post, and is now at work. The reason he is worried about our cattle is the guy next door who owns the calf is not in good standing order with most of the town. I don't know as much as Thomas does, but everytime he deals with people he cheats them. He owes people all over town money for jobs they have done for him on him land. And he will not pay. He has even hauled peoples cattle to the sale barn that has gotten in his pastor. This is what I myself have heard at the feed store. Thomas knows more and I am sure he will be on the boards tonight.
Greenwillows wife

Wouldn't recommend that <grin>... I don't know about OK, but in FL it's a 3rd degree felony to steal cattle:

FS 812.014 - Theft

<snip>

(c) It is grand theft of the third degree and a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, if the property stolen is:

<snip>

7. Any commercially farmed animal, including any animal of the equine, bovine, or swine class, or other grazing animal, and including aquaculture species raised at a certified aquaculture facility.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

flbullrider":278cg0t8 said:
Wouldn't recommend that <grin>... I don't know about OK, but in FL it's a 3rd degree felony to steal cattle:

FS 812.014 - Theft

<snip>

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

To sort of quote Clinton, depends on your definition of "stealing". Let's see. A calf gets on your property and you call the owner and tell him about it and he does nothing but the calf remains for period eating your grass. Some months later the calf is still there and you are taking a load to market. Do you A. load him up, sell him and keep the check or B. leave him in the field? Is this stealing? How about this, you get a strange calf in your field and you are unable to identify the owner or contact him. Some months pass and the owner hasn't shown up. Would it be stealing to sell this calf? Forget the moral issues involved.

The RCMP that I talked to the other day that I was within my rights to sell any cattle that have been on my land. I can then deduct my expenses as long as they are reasonable and give the balance, if there is any, to the owner of the cattle.

Two years ago we had nine assorted steers and heifers show up in our pasture with our cattle-Jerseys, Holsteins, a couple of black ones and a Charolais cross. Called around all the neighbors and no one knew anything about them. One day they would be in the pasture, next day out on the road. I even had neighbors calling me telling me my cows were out. Finally, after about a week they were all gone except for one Charolais cross heifer. I had a neighbor tell me they saw someone rounding them up and putting them in a trailer. They left the Charolais heifer and never came back for it-I never knew who they were. We kept the heifer. I guess I don't mind someone giving me a heifer every once in a while.

Latest posts