Neighbor's Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Neighboring farm, few properties down the road, has a bung of hodge podge Longhorn cross cattle. Multiple bulls due to not selling anything for a few years. Low on grass. Low on fencing. Low on everything it would appear.

Anyways, the oldest and biggest Longhorn bull keeps jumping out of the pasture field they're kept in. Well, it would appear they are asked to stay in the fence. HAHA.

For about three weeks now, I have found him in the road, in my front yard, in a neighbor's yard. Its getting ridiculous. Stepped outside at 6 this morning to find him standing at my gate, poop piles all around, fussing with my bull. He had gotten my bull to jump the single strand of hot wire i keep them in with. Only one strand keeping them separate at this point. Got him home, yet again. On the way home, the bull jumped 4 more fences. Some of which were 7 stand barbed wire. Tore our line fence up again. Got in with the neighbor's registered angus herd. But finally got him home. He literally jumped in the fence where he belonged. I kid you not.

Left a note on the door, because I couldn't get the owner to wake up and answer his door. Got home from mowing and found he had finally hauled the bull off.

I hate involving the law on a neighbor. But I was almost to that point with this guy.

What do you all do in this situation? I've heard something around here about a 3 strike type of law. Three documented occasions of the bull getting out and onto my property and I can haul him off or shoot him. Something along those lines. Have had an officer tell me that I can do whatever i need to do to keep my property from being damaged or destroyed.

Any of y'all have wonderful neighbors like I've got?

Y'all don't have any stocklaws on the books? There are bound to be some call the sheriff and ask what are your options they should know.
In Texas an estray can be impounded by the sheriff and sold for damages.
But Lord help you if you sell or
shoot him.

Get a bigger, meaner bull and have him go running home with his tail between his legs.. I don't think there's a law against that.

I would call the sheriff. One, its their job to mess with it... two, its good to have the documentation. We have most of the neighbors phone numbers, gate combos, etc but it seems like those people rarely have problems. The hard to get a hold of ones always seem to have the problems... imagine that. I have told people before who complained to me about calling the sheriff... "it was that or put a bullet in their head... now that I know you don't like the sheriff I'll just shoot the sob". They tend to offer up their contact info after that. Its easy to make them believe it... when your serious. ;-)

You have every right to be upset, but I sure wouldn't approach it the way you are here.
It appears that the problem is this individual bull and that's what I would complain about.
Your not going to get much with the your cattle are no-good, your grass is no good, your fences are no good and your no good approach.

I'm not suggesting anything, but if an officer told me that I'd be inclined to use the SSS solution, though as a last resort. But you can only let it go on so long

callmefence":2g8q4g4x said:
You have every right to be upset, but I sure wouldn't approach it the way you are here.
It appears that the problem is this individual bull and that's what I would complain about.
Your not going to get much with the your cattle are no-good, your grass is no good, your fences are no good and your no good approach.

Not at all how i talk to people. Was just painting the picture. I'm sure his grass is good If he would just mow, or something.

I was told just a few hours ago he had told another neighbor, last week, to shoot him if he got out again. Blew my mind.

ClinchValley":22wwxv1f said:
callmefence":22wwxv1f said:

Not at all how i talk to people. Was just painting the picture. I'm sure his grass is good If he would just mow, or something.

I was told just a few hours ago he had told another neighbor, last week, to shoot him if he got out again. Blew my mind.

He would be money a head. That bull isn't worth any thing and they can be a hand full when they go rogue.

i always try and put myself in the other guys shoes before i do something like shoot or haul his bull off. gotta think what if my bull got out into his pasture and my neighbor shot him before i had a chance to do anything

Latest posts