neighbor's bull does damage

Help Support CattleToday:

the chain dont affect their breeding.weve done it to 1 or 2 hol bulls because they was pretty rank.the chain dont need tobe as heavy as a log chain or lite like a swing chain.but heavy enough they know they have it on.

we got a chain on ours that extends to the ground, he can walk and breed, and yeah he knows its there. The time it fell off, it did because the ring on it worn, I have had them get stuck, last bull, got his stuck on something, and pulled it out, he went to the sale the very next day. Ths one when he lost it, that very same night, he was a completely different bull, went back to Mr Bad Attitude, with it on he is a wimp. I never trust any bull, but he definetely is a milder version with it on-

I would say that you need better fences to keep other people's bulls out and your bull in.

I am sorry to hear that he is hurt. Will he recover?

I went out with my bull fighting a bull over the fence. There is usually electricity there. I went down and the other bull was more scared of me and took off. My bull turned and walked away.

I went further down to check the fence and as soon as I had passed them they were back at it again.

I found a wire touching the fence and shorting it out. By the time I had used the plastic covered handles to remove it and bend it where it couldn't touch again and turned back around they both had decided that the fence was no longer any fun and grazing was better. That could have been done day or night with a torch.

I used to have a customer that wanted me to breed behind his bulls that would chain anything that chased me or the milkers...
About the only benefit that I ever saw has that you could hear them clanking so you always got some warning before they got you.

cow pollinater":2j688f7j said:
I used to have a customer that wanted me to breed behind his bulls that would chain anything that chased me or the milkers...
About the only benefit that I ever saw has that you could hear them clanking so you always got some warning before they got you.
I hear that....can't see how 20-30 lbs. of chain would be much of a deterrent for a 1500 lb. PO'd bull. Maybe if you chained the other end to 3-4 cross ties it would at least slow him down a little.

Suzie Q":8tmxbdye said:
I would say that you need better fences to keep other people's bulls out and your bull in.

I went out with my bull fighting a bull over the fence. There is usually electricity there. I went down and the other bull was more scared of me and took off. My bull turned and walked away.

I went further down to check the fence and as soon as I had passed them they were back at it again.

I found a wire touching the fence and shorting it out. By the time I had used the plastic covered handles to remove it and bend it where it couldn't touch again and turned back around they both had decided that the fence was no longer any fun and grazing was better. That could have been done day or night with a torch.

Better fences won't stop some bulls. Nothing will. I've got videos of one of my neighbor's bulls. Electric don't cut it either.

backhoeboogie":37k2km4w said:
Suzie Q":37k2km4w said:

Better fences won't stop some bulls. Nothing will. I've got videos of one of my neighbor's bulls. Electric don't cut it either.

I hauled a dam fine one to Crockett several years ago electric fence hotter than he!! he would just beller and plow on through. They stay in cause they want to not cause you want them to.

I electric train mine in a yard that they cannot get out of. That fence I was talking about above also had 5 strands of barbed wire, which they were fighting over. Just one plain wire electric wire which once turned on deterred both the bull that was trained for electric fencing and the next doors bull which may not have been trained.

If you put them in with an electric fence that they can go through, cattle are different from horses and when they get the 'bite' they go forward through the fence instead of back like horses do. Which is why I train them in paddocks that they can't go forward and learn to go back instead of forward.

TOUCHWOOD. It has worked so far - 7 years. So far bulls on both sides of the fence have been Droughtmaster, Charbray, Brahman and one neighbour who had all kinds of bulls and changed all the time so I don't really know what breeds they all were.

Suzie Q":3ho2xsys said:
I electric train mine in a yard that they cannot get out of. That fence I was talking about above also had 5 strands of barbed wire, which they were fighting over. Just one plain wire electric wire which once turned on deterred both the bull that was trained for electric fencing and the next doors bull which may not have been trained.

If you put them in with an electric fence that they can go through, cattle are different from horses and when they get the 'bite' they go forward through the fence instead of back like horses do. Which is why I train them in paddocks that they can't go forward and learn to go back instead of forward.

TOUCHWOOD. It has worked so far - 7 years. So far bulls on both sides of the fence have been Droughtmaster, Charbray, Brahman and one neighbour who had all kinds of bulls and changed all the time so I don't really know what breeds they all were.

The bull I was talking about would go though 4 hot wire's running 6000 volt's + out of two different Parmak Chargers (redundant system) and seven strands of barb wire to get into the bull lot and whip the yearling bulls. Every foot of fence on this place has hot wire.
Your only fooling yourself if you think you can stop a bull determined to go somewhere. And he was a Hereford to boot.
The only way you stop those bulls is to the slaughter house.

No problems yet my cattle are trained to a hot wire. Do you guys check the voltage on the fence regularly?
C B you shouldn't make them so mean, my uncle's told me the same thing if they want to go their going.

highgrit":2dgun1u7 said:
No problems yet my cattle are trained to a hot wire. Do you guys check the voltage on the fence regularly?
C B you shouldn't make them so mean, my uncle's told me the same thing if they want to go their going.

He has been the only one so far, fence didn't mean anything to him.

I had one ole boy that would get his head under the bottom strand of barbed wire, raise his head an pull 2-3 posts out of the ground on either side of him and just walk "under" the fence.

I agree that a hot fence can short out minutes after you have last checked it. A number of things happen like branches falling off trees, etc.

I also agree that if I had a bull that did that it would be gone. Life is too short to have those worries and he may teach it to his offspring and I don't want that either.

Suzie Q":1p59lazc said:

It is going to be quite hard for me to gather up all the bulls on surrounding properties and train them don't ya think? :D How in the heck can I even begin to go about this? :D

If the problem was my bull, it could be resolved without all of this.

Fences wrecked, hay storage busted through complete with concrete in steel pipe posts lifted out of the ground. Heifers bred to young and bred by an angus bull. I could go on and on and I do have a laundry list.

Your "5 strand barbed wire" would be a joke. Nothing is less than 6 strand and most of it is 7 strand. 4 point barb.

I've got several places that adjoin me in different locations too.

I took a concealed/carry class two years ago highgrit and we watched a video on taser training and they used one on a bull. The taser dropped him in his tracks. Now I'll grant you the bull was just walking around and not all worked up so the results may be a bit skewed in this instance.

Our laws might be different here. We have to keep cattle in.

If you have bulls getting in from outside you can get them taken to the pound. The owner can be charged and have to pay to get the bull out.

We had another fence that was not 5 strand barbed wire because of where it floods. 250 cattle dumped there and owners left for home over 2 hours away. Cattle in our farm every day and taking down every fence daily.

I asked for help from the former owner who came out and showed me how to test and fix the electric fence. Those cows and bulls did not come through that fence once the electricity was over 5000.

That was great entertainment for me the day it was fixed. Watching them touch the fence and get zapped.

Muhahahahahahahaha yes I am very evil.

Suzie Q":1d1vydb7 said:
Our laws might be different here. We have to keep cattle in.

If you have bulls getting in from outside you can get them taken to the pound. The owner can be charged and have to pay to get the bull out.

We had another fence that was not 5 strand barbed wire because of where it floods. 250 cattle dumped there and owners left for home over 2 hours away. Cattle in our farm every day and taking down every fence daily.

I asked for help from the former owner who came out and showed me how to test and fix the electric fence. Those cows and bulls did not come through that fence once the electricity was over 5000.

That was great entertainment for me the day it was fixed. Watching them touch the fence and get zapped.

Muhahahahahahahaha yes I am very evil.
In the US we have open/free range states/areas that means you are responsible to fence them out. If it isn;t a open/free range state/area the owner is responsible to fence them in.

many years ago to avoid the problem with my neighbor who had herefords......I have angus....

I offered him the free use of one of my bulls. Long story short we became partners over time in a registered angus herd. He became one of the best friends of my life and I have missed him every day since he died.

pdf, you frequently seem to arrive at very wise and peaceful solutions to problems, like the one about the horse being turned out for 6 months (give it to a child who will take care of it and love it). I admire that. The world could use more like you!