Neighbor

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Lost another one Friday morning.
Not a bad way to go went to bed didn't wake up. Back in our younger days we hunted the forks of the river, it is not old man terrain.

Sorry CB. It gets harder to know that as we get older, all of us will someday go. I just hope that when my time comes it is in an easier way like your neighbor.

Funeral is tomorrow I am just wondering when his cows go through the salebarn.
Three out of four of the kids moved to jobs and the other has no interest in cows.
Might have to go buy one I did on my other neighbors and running buddy.
I just couldn't stand the thought of everything he had worked on just going poof and gone.
I know that's silly.

Several around here when they are gone I wonder what will happen to their cattle and land as their kids moved on and have no interest in it. A lot of them are up in years also.

Sorry for your loss as going out like a light switch is the best IMO and I hope I go that way.

Caustic Burno":1zq7i2jm said:
Three out of four of the kids moved to jobs and the other has no interest in cows.
I just couldn't stand the thought of everything he had worked on just going poof and gone.
I know that's silly.

You should buy 3 or 4 of them. I have a list of neighbor's who I have to buy a few from when they disperse. I've done it before and it helps with moving on. I would hate to see all my best cows go to slaughter as well.

Caustic Burno":3aqcliu2 said:
Not a bad way to go went to bed didn't wake up. Back in our younger days we hunted the forks of the river, it is not old man terrain.

Just seeing this thread now. Sorry to hear that you lost a friend & neighbor. My best friend of 50 years went the same way.

I hope you're able to buy a cow or two from his herd. I understand.

Workinonit Farm":3vys0ysn said:
Caustic Burno":3vys0ysn said:

Just seeing this thread now. Sorry to hear that you lost a friend & neighbor. My best friend of 50 years went the same way.

I hope you're able to buy a cow or two from his herd. I understand.

Thanks the slow walking and sad singing starts at 10 in the morning.

Caustic Burno":12mhrvf7 said:
I know that's silly.

That is not silly at all. As I have said before, I lost my 83 year old father last summer to a tractor accident. The most cathartic thing I have had is taking care of his cows and rebuilding what had deteriorated as he got older. There are many times that I am out replacing fence or other jobs and I look up and pray that he approves of the job I am doing.

Keeping one or two your friends cows is definitely a way to cope and move on. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

I agree that buying a cow or 2 of his is a tribute, not silly. I wonder what will happen to my nurse cows when my time comes. My son is into the beef cattle, but not my nurse cows. Maybe my older ones will be gone by then and the younger ones won't have the same sentimental value. Maybe some young person will be around to take a few and carry on.

What do you expect the kids to do everyone has to have a life of their own. There is a way to make a living with out cows. There was an older man in the community was asked about his dentist son. The question was what will that son do with the farm after you are gone. His reply was I do not care he can sell it buy jelly beans with it. After all when I am gone I have no use for it.

Caustic Burno":1xhuczye said:
I know that's silly.

CB sorry about your friend. I will tell you this. A local man who is stinkin rich his mom died she had 27 head she loved cattle and enjoyed them tremendously her son hated them. He said look I hate cattle im not penning them up to sell them and haul them if you want them here's the address and gate keys.

Caustic Burno":2crlj6pg said:
Lost the one on the other side this morning. Learned about it at the funeral.

I'm really sorry to hear that. This is not a good week for you. I completely understand the cattle thing, if I had a good friend that ran cattle, I'd do the same thing.

Caustic Burno":346liyf5 said:
Lost the one on the other side this morning. Learned about it at the funeral.

Oh no. When in rains is pours. :( I'm sorry to hear that. I guess you'll be walking slow and singing more sad songs, sooner than you thought. :(

CB it's time to trade them hides in on more boats and deer hunts. Tore the hide of the white perch this spring and now the cats are going full swing.

Latest posts