neighbor question

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
sit back and grab a glass, this will take a bit.

We got some cows on our farm from helping a neighbor. We cost shared on the cow calves for many years because he was old and still wanted cows.

He still had the land. We made the hay, pastured our cows and his on both our lands. We shared the animals 50/50. we paid the mineral and the drugs for vaccinations. Calves we covered the cost of illness, cows he did. They were his cows. We bought his and his brothers land and then the owner died.

The brother lives in the city. Both grew up on the farm but he chose school and city life.

the guy our deal with who is now dead died at the end for 2006. We asked his brother what to do with the cows. He said same deal and to keep them and then he would sell them at weaning. He figures these cows can still breed. We just kept these cows to keep the old guy happy.
The cows are older than Noah and require alot of maintenance. there are or were 4 cows.

1. Had problems standing while heavy in calf. Actually could not stand. it got so cold she could not get up. Called the brother told him drugs wouldn't help. Either to shoot or keep her at home, make her comfortable, get ther up with the tractor each day and wait for her to calve. Once she calves take it, dispose of the cow. We told him that if he wanted that done he would have to pay for the work. He said do what you want with the cow, he washed his hands of it. We got the calf, and placed it on a heiffer who just lost her calf.

2. could not walk well heavy in calf in fact the last weeks before she calved could not get up. Once she calved she got up. Twins. we could not let her raise both calves so we bottle fed one and then gave her to a cow later on who lost her calf. I told husband o call the owner and ask what he wanted and he said no, she could not support two calves and milk replacer is expensive. We always got any twins these cows had becasue of the work involved and he so he chose not to inform the new owner figuring same contract applied.

3. Cow not lame but unable to handle herself on a large pasture and almost going down just before calving.

4. the best of the bunch but she to has had hip troubles in the past. She might make it another season, but she problably won't

All these cows we kept home on the home pastures becasue they could not handle large pastures...coyote or bear bait

Here is the problem. He the older brother who is now the owner wants all the calves. We get the cows. He thinks there is still life in these old birds. He also wants the not what the auction mart gives but what ever we get for our calves.

We tried to explain that his calves would go in our lots(he only had four and they would sell better in a bigger lot than by themselves), by weight and then the auction mart would cut him a check based on the lots weight of his calfs.

We are trying to tell him these animals, the cows need to go to the local abitior(sp) becasue they would not make it an 8 hour drive to quebec or Sask. Then they would be classed as downers and we would be fined heavy for inhumane treatment of animals. If they were kept another year it would be SSS.

At best these animals, the three cows would be worth $200.00 becasue of their age and problably their might be parts condemed due to arthritis. Our vet is coming out in September to check on other animals destined for slaughter so we were going to get these girls checked for the ability to ship.

At best husband figures halfers on the three calves still on the his cows. the one on our heifer husband figures he washed his hands of the cow so be it with the calf.
the bottle one now on our cow he knows nothing of so what of it?

In total there are three cows live and 5 calves live. Three of the calves are on his cows.

Our ID (canadian)tags are in these calves and the calves have had their first shots and are waiting for the second. The cows we did not pre breed vaccinate for the fact they were to be gone this fall and well with cow prices so cheap...
We treat these cows and calves just like we do our own.

Advice please!

Thanks in advance.

Ok, had to read it a couple times but I think I've got it. So you provide all the feed for these animals correct? Is the brother paying anything to you for keeping them? If not, I'd say half is pretty high. I'd tell him you're selling the cows because of their age and condition. He get's the money from those less shipping and selling expenses. Plus he gets the money from one calf. I wouldn't say he gets half the money on the three calves for just owning the cows and not paying for feed or care. I think a third would be more then fair. That way you could also put it all on a manifest for him under his name (3 cows, 1 calf) when you go to ship them.

Also the I.D tags are not proof of ownership. Having your tag in them means they will be traced back to you if needed.

Since the cows are so old I would ship them and the calves do the 50/50 split and walk away.
Do not feel guilty about doing this. Better to get out now then wait a year and have him accuse you of "Doing something" with the cows if they die in the pasture. Tell him they were open and you had to cull them.
It sounds like plain old greed to me.

Did share cows with hubby's cousin. Never again. He would not show up to help with the branding, but expected us to help with the few head he had. We had to supply the calf table, he was too cheap to buy his own. I finally had enough and refused to go there anymore and pushed to get out.
Got into a fight with him over the calf table, he lost. He also broke our tractor that day trying to get it out of the corral. :mad:
He bought his own table.

TNM...the original guy owned the land untill we bought it in the middle of 2006. Said guy died Dec 2006. His cows have been looked after by us since 1999. Hie died at 91.5 years of age.
Husband loved this old fella like a grandfather
Peace Country,
New guy has paid nothing. Just mentioned ID tags cause if we shipped old cows to the auction ring and they sit at the auction 12 hours, maybe more then transport to where ever sold most likely 8 hr drive, these cows would not make it and we becasue of the tags would be fined (downers)not him.
I luv herford,
I agree with the 50/50 split and be done with it. As well he gets the cows because legally they are his. He was the the guy that got his estate.
I'm not sure if it is greed becasue he is not up on the laws of shipping animals, animals health, or what it takes to farm. He's 80 plus and left the farm well over 50+ years ago and never looked back. Except to visit his brother of course.
How do you convince a 80+ year old guy of what is fair?

Sell all and give the man the money and the receipt. Forget about it and move on. Life is to short sometimes to get into major hassles with people who are not able to understand things.

rockridgecattle":3d1dbqxk said:
TNM...the original guy owned the land untill we bought it in the middle of 2006. Said guy died Dec 2006. His cows have been looked after by us since 1999. Hie died at 91.5 years of age.
Husband loved this old fella like a grandfather
Peace Country,
New guy has paid nothing. Just mentioned ID tags cause if we shipped old cows to the auction ring and they sit at the auction 12 hours, maybe more then transport to where ever sold most likely 8 hr drive, these cows would not make it and we becasue of the tags would be fined (downers)not him.
I luv herford,
I agree with the 50/50 split and be done with it. As well he gets the cows because legally they are his. He was the the guy that got his estate.
I'm not sure if it is greed becasue he is not up on the laws of shipping animals, animals health, or what it takes to farm. He's 80 plus and left the farm well over 50+ years ago and never looked back. Except to visit his brother of course.
How do you convince a 80+ year old guy of what is fair?
if those cows are that old.they most likely wouldnt make it though the sale.an on to the truck.an you would be fined for having downers.id sale the calves.an keep the cows.they are to old tobe shipped in my opion.the guy being old is a problem.because he thinks the cows are still in the prime of their life.

I would load up 5 calves and 3 cows, sell all of it, ask him what he figures his share is,give it to him, forget about the whole mess, and move on.

larryshoat":1agkuc97 said:
I would load up 5 calves and 3 cows, sell all of it, ask him what he figures his share is,give it to him, forget about the whole mess, and move on.

Either that or give the man 30 days to arrange to have someone come get all 8 head of the cattle. Remove your tags. Put everything in writing via certified letter.

The price of two calves ($800-$1000) is not worth the trouble or effort. The better this is resolved with minimum effort on your part, the better.

I agree with Larry. Sell all, show him the check and let him make the final decision on what is fair. He might surprise you or he might not. (I'd also call the sale barn and let them come pick em up and deduct this from the procedes)