Neighbor pets

Help Support CattleToday:

I had Muscoveys, they were hard on insects but population control at 12 to a clutch of eggs was something else.

IF you want a loyal pet, buy a couple of fertilized duck or goose eggs to incubate.
At hatching make sure you are the first one they see and spend a couple of one on one hours with them and they will imprint you as their mother and follow you for life.

I don't know that it's ethical, and I've never done it, but always thought that would be a cool farm pet for a couple of my nieces.

I can't get pictures of them but from a distance but I have 4 wild tom turkeys that keep the grass hoppers and what ever out of
20 acres of hay ground. They are big by any standard and have been around for 2 or 3 summers. I don't know if a turkey will eat
a leopard frog but I suspect as much as I am not seeing as many in the creek that flows through.
Once in a while there will be a Trumpeter on the pond. They are truly magnificent.

The rancher up the hill had 8 guineas. The coyotes got 3. The 5 guineas decided to move to our place. They are crazy birds, they look like chickens from outerspace.
These are not mine but this is the true nature of guineas
True nature of Guineas.jpg

The constant and continuous uproar of Cadalac Cadalac but this is the guinea way. My husband was fixing the fence way down by the river. The whole flock flew down there to supervise.
100_1738.JPG
Those guineas were true idiots. They would go way off into the blackberry thickets and predators picked them off one by one. They would wait until a car was almost there to cross the highway. We are down to one single guinea hen. She joined the hens and now she is calm and somewhat sensible. She does not do such stupid things so she survives. She roosts in the henhouse and lays eggs in there.

I had to gather guinea eggs and hatch them to keep any around. Actually done good selling the chicks for several years.

A pair of geese are nice until they figure out where the feed comes from..... that, and they can't walk 2 steps without squirting out a bunch of goose poop.
Mine would waddle down to the pond a couple times/day till they realized there was an alligator in there and after that, I couldn't keep them out of the dog's water container. Get in there several times every day, flap their wings all around, shed feathers and poop all at the same time.
I gave them away to a neighbor that was too lazy to or didn't believe in shooting predators and coyotes got them.

. . . Those guineas were true idiots. They would go way off into the blackberry thickets and predators picked them off one by one. They would wait until a car was almost there to cross the highway. We are down to one single guinea hen. She joined the hens and now she is calm and somewhat sensible. She does not do such stupid things so she survives. She roosts in the henhouse and lays eggs in there.

I have a friend who grew beside some railroad tracks. His grandmother lived with them, and had chickens and guineas. He said that if a train was coming a chicken would get out of the way, but a guinea would stand there on the tracks just daring that train to come hit them.

Latest posts