Neighbor gets by with a lot

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
We have a distant neighbor that moved in from another state that knows how to walk that thin line to be a thorn in everyone's side.

They hired someone to do dozer work which took three days. They claimed to be satisfied with everything the first two days. When he showed up to finish the third day, they acted displeased, told him to leave, and wouldn't allow him to take his equipment; he had to get the sheriff to get his equipment. They have yet to pay the dozer guy.

On the land they bought, there was an old mailbox post at the end of a gravel road that had belonged to a house at the end years ago. When a family moved back in the house at the end of the road, they put their mailbox back on the post. The other people put a note in the mailbox that read it was "their post" and they couldn't put their mailbox there. The family ignored it, so the other people removed the mailbox and set it by the road. The sheriff was brought in again and he told them that land that close to the road was county and that people could put a mailbox there.

I'll spare everybody, but there are countless other things they have done to be a thorn to their neighbors.

The sheriff said he has to go by their house at least once a month over some issue, and a town lawyer said, "oh, you can't do anything with them." In other words, they know where to walk the line, and they probably don't seem skiddish when they speak to the lawyers and sheriff, so the law is basically tired of fooling with them and don't want to agitate them any more than they have to.

Personally, I feel like if I was spotted throwing a gum wrapper on the sidewalk, I'd probably be in shackles and on the 6 o'clock news. I've spent all my life trying to obey the law, not being an agitator, and thinking if i did half the stuff some people do, I'd eventually be hauled away, but it seems like if you don't mind drama, having a lawyer call you ever so often, the sheriff coming to your house once a month telling you what to do or not to do, you can get by with a lot of junk.

Anyone else feel this way, or am i just weird?

It seems like there are people who can always just do as they please and get by.In reality,they aren't fooling anyone but themselves.Sooner or later their misdeeds will get them in trouble.I have known some of these types and have tried real hard to remind myself that I have responsibilities and what someone else does will not excuse me from them.Keep doing what you do and let them go. :cboy:

What goes around comes around. I sincerely believe that. Poetic Justice will always go both ways.

Some people are simply miserable and they want everyone else to be just as miserable as they are.

Let it go.

That all reminds me of the nuisance dog(s) thread that was here last year---and the most popular suggested solution.

World is full of people like that. Sounds like they are homozygous ignorant. Don't let your kids marry their kids. All your grandchildren will be ignorant as well.

HDRider":behc43ny said:
Curious. Where did these fine folks move from?

They came from Florida.

Most of the people who move here do it because of cheap land. KY has a low cost of living compared to a lot of places. Back in the early 80s, one of our real estate companies started acquiring a lot of land around our county that wasn't good for a lot, except clearing off a spot and putting a house trailer. He advertised all this land far and near and sold it cheap. It attracted people from everywhere, and it seemed to attract some strange characters, basically people looking for cheap land, but didn't like having a job. That has snowballed ever since then.

The thing is, I love my little town; it's a nice little Mayberry town, but there is nothing here to attract people from other places other than cheap land; nobody is moving here because of some great job they acquired. One example is down the road from me. There was a field for sale. It was around 4 acres and someone had mowed hay on it for years. When they sold it, some people from out of state bought it. They probably got it for a song sang off-key. They moved in a storage shed like you buy at Lowe's, and that is what they live in. After a year, it looks like a cross between Green Acres and Sanford and Son. Nobody there seems to work, and no trespassing signs are everywhere, like I'd want to trespass in the first place. They did teach me on thing, however. I've never been much of a lawn person and don't like mowing too much, so, from observing their place, I learned to just not mow at all. Just let the Fescue, rag weeds, and iron weeds get to the windows, that takes care of it.

No trespassing signs are another thing. My father says there were none of those signs in our county when he was a kid, and I honestly don't recall any when i was growing up. When someone moves in, however, the first thing they do is put up a bunch of NT signs. people who move in act like if somebody picks a blade of grass from their property as they walk by and they allow it, the next thing you know, the grass picker will take over their entire property and haul it off on a flat-bed. :?:

Red Bull Breeder":2uaq44ij said:
They still sell matches and bic lighters.

My thoughts exactly. Make enough enemies, no one is even going to care when it does happen. Might even be fireworks the next night to celebrate.

Coming from Florida really means nothing because I don't think there are many true Floridians anymore. Most are transplants from all over the country and Cuba.

We had a new fella move into the area. He came from up north somewhere but definitely not from around here. He came by to see me about three times wanting my help with some things. I helped him and agreed to do some more. He offered to buy some stuff he needed from me then ended up stiffing me $150 when he is the one who set the price.

He's like your new neighbor and knows how to work the system and knows it will cost me more to try and collect than its worth. I know its not a pile of money but it is the principle of the thing especially since I saved him $300 on something when I could have made money off him but didn't. To say I'm pizzed is putting it lightly and while he might think he got one over on a dumb redneck he hasn't. I talked to a few people and as it happens he is doing some business with two of them and he cannot afford not to pay them and both have offered to pad their bills and get my money back. True, it will be twice what he owes me but I think the penalties and interest are modest. In fact, I'm not done with him yet and have a few more things in store for him but first I'll get my money back and we will go from there.

Jogeephus":2ne9ybdl said:
Coming from Florida really means nothing because I don't think there are many true Floridians anymore. Most are transplants from all over the country and Cuba.

I'm sure coming from Florida has nothing to do with it. It just seems like whenever someone moves in here from another state, it's always a weirdo from the state; why can't we get a few normal people from other states. Back in the 80s and even into the 90s, everybody from here called them "move-ins." That may sound prejudice or whatever, but whenever a stranger from somewhere else moves in and turns out to be a nut every time, it eventually puts a bad taste in the mouth.

It could be that all us Ky people are nuts, and don't realize everyone else is normal.

I have relatives in Kentucky and they seem pretty normal to me.

I know what you mean about the transplants. I think many of them try to escape the cities after reading a few brochures on farming and livestock and move to the country. Rather than ask questions and show their ignorance they want to show everyone how much they know. Neighbor just up the road sortof fits this bill and he just isn't fitting in and everyone has tried to be nice to him but he has worn out everyone's patience. He seems to want to teach us all how we are doing everything wrong - like how you don't need fenced in pastures for livestock when there is good grazing in the next door neighbor's garden.

Jogeephus":1cpe2pdh said:

We had a new fella move into the area. He came from up north somewhere but definitely not from around here. He came by to see me about three times wanting my help with some things. I helped him and agreed to do some more. He offered to buy some stuff he needed from me then ended up stiffing me $150 when he is the one who set the price.

He's like your new neighbor and knows how to work the system and knows it will cost me more to try and collect than its worth. I know its not a pile of money but it is the principle of the thing especially since I saved him $300 on something when I could have made money off him but didn't. To say I'm pizzed is putting it lightly and while he might think he got one over on a dumb redneck he hasn't. I talked to a few people and as it happens he is doing some business with two of them and he cannot afford not to pay them and both have offered to pad their bills and get my money back. True, it will be twice what he owes me but I think the penalties and interest are modest. In fact, I'm not done with him yet and have a few more things in store for him but first I'll get my money back and we will go from there.

You rock Jo. Kudos to your method of handling this. :banana:
Hero needs to take notice.

Bigfoot":2grmd5ax said:
It could be that all us Ky people are nuts, and don't realize everyone else is normal.
That is exactly what I was thinking. I give anyone credit if they can move into my county and survive for a couple of years without the natives getting restless and running them off. I think more people get run-off than the other way around. :lol:

Karma is a b*tch. just remember that.

Yes there are weirdo's moving in to all sorts of small town's. Had a wally world "mooner" in the store yesterday with her pants half way down her back side. Freaked out a super nice older woman I know.

My county borders La., and land has been cheaper here, than in Parishes north of N.O. We have had an influx for about 30-35 years. I have also worker
in the public for 40 years. The new comers are very different from the locals. I had rather deal with locals any day of the week. There is just a different
mentality. I know that most of these nomads are not the cream of the crop. My wife and I worker in La. for many years, and we have some great friends
down there. The people that move in are not like those people.

TennesseeTuxedo":126pssg7 said:
Bigfoot":126pssg7 said:

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to agree with you BF since I myself married one. :hide:

been nice knowin ya!. She sees this and yer a dead man!

Latest posts