negative SC

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
I am looking at a catalog for a sale that is coming up in a couple weeks. I noticed there was no SC EPD for any of the cows or bulls. I punched a couple into Angus.org and most of them have a negative EPD. Even as far as a -.57. I thought "the bigger, the better"? can someone help me understand? what is too low/high that you wouldn't even consider, and why?

If I was going to retain breeding stock from them, any scrotal below the breed average would be an automatic discard. For those purposes, the bgger the better.
For a terminal bull, I could care less about scrotal.

dun

good rule of thumb is that SC should be +.25 to +.5 or better for retaining heifers out of the bull.

We try to use mostly AI bulls with 1.0 or better.

I think the high SC EPD has quite a bit to do with how soon the heifers reach puberty, and their ability to breed back in a timely fashion year after year. I assume, Joe you are looking at the "super 10 genetics" dispersion? I noticed most of the cows were way below breed average, but, some of those are also 10 year old cows with a 345 day calving interval, so I, personally wouldn't scratch the cow off your list just because of the EPD, I would look at the whole picture.