Negative birth weight bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

AKE

Reaction score
Was at a sale the other day and they had a little lot of bulls and all had negative 2 birth weight or lower. I think one was even negative 3.3. When you get in the negative that far are the calves to small? The weaning and yearling gains looked good on them though.

"Small" is subjective, contingent on breed, location, your operation, whether you're breeding heifers, etc.

My herd sire is +9 CED, BW -2, WW +45, YW +80. I used him on my heifers the last 2 year and his calves averaged 75 lbs but later put him in the main herd with the cows & his calves averaged 85 lbs. The bull we just sold was CED +12, BW +2.1, WW +40, YW +68. We used him on the heifers for 3 years & he never threw one over 70 lbs; when we moved him to the main herd his calves averaged 82. We just sold the calves he sired last year and at 10 months (avg) the steers average weight was 756 lbs, heifers 705.

I just bought 2 new bulls with high CED & negative BW.

TCRanch":ccnihhzs said:
"Small" is subjective, contingent on breed, location, your operation, whether you're breeding heifers, etc.

My herd sire is +9 CED, BW -2, WW +45, YW +80. I used him on my heifers the last 2 year and his calves averaged 75 lbs but later put him in the main herd with the cows & his calves averaged 85 lbs. The bull we just sold was CED +12, BW +2.1, WW +40, YW +68. We used him on the heifers for 3 years & he never threw one over 70 lbs; when we moved him to the main herd his calves averaged 82. We just sold the calves he sired last year and at 10 months (avg) the steers average weight was 756 lbs, heifers 705.

Those are the kind of weights that would make me very happy with those bulls production! That's awesome TCR!

Well I ended up buying one of the bulls. His CED was +18 ww+39 and yw+74. First registered bull I have ever bought so I am not up on all the numbers.

AKE":3ccfwcrg said:
Well I ended up buying one of the bulls. His CED was +18 ww+39 and yw+74. First registered bull I have ever bought so I am not up on all the numbers.

Well you bought yourself a top 1% Bull in Calving Ease....sounds to be a great heifer bull!
You can find all the percentile break downs here. Good luck!

https://www.angus.org/Nce/PercentBreakdown.aspx

USAxBrad":3li55p6i said:
TCRanch":3li55p6i said:

Those are the kind of weights that would make me very happy with those bulls production! That's awesome TCR!
Thank you BUT I'm sorry, they actually averaged 11 months of age. My bad. We made the deal with the guy that bought them at 10 months but didn't sell them until yesterday. That said, I'm still not disappointed with their weight.

TC just an idea if you bought a growth bull to use on your cows and increase those weights by 50 to 75lbs don't you think it would be money in your pocket?
You have 2 bulls if you need a heifer bull no worries, but now days you can buy a growth bull cheaper and increase weight fairly easy.

bse":30na3oi8 said:
TC just an idea if you bought a growth bull to use on your cows and increase those weights by 50 to 75lbs don't you think it would be money in your pocket?
You have 2 bulls if you need a heifer bull no worries, but now days you can buy a growth bull cheaper and increase weight fairly easy.

We did have one about 4 or 5 years ago & there wasn't a huge difference in WW. Never kept any of his heifers but slim pickins' - he wasn't the Alpha bull & never got a lot of game time :).

Latest posts