Needs advice

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
Have a first calf cow with a problem. Here's a photo with her.
00715.JPG

Would like to know what is that swelling near her navel. Our vet have checked it, but he doesn't know what exactly it is. It's a size of two palms, is quite tought, but vet said that there are some liquid. It has appeared after she calved in December.
Now don't know what to do with her. She doesn't show any signs of being sick or feeling not good. Her calf grows well too. We worry if she'll be okay in the future if we'd left her to produce calves, or we'll need to cull her, while she only had her first calf. :(

You can ask your vet to do an ultra sound or poke a needle to see what kind of liquid comes out...

Could be anything from an abscess, to something herniated. Your vet should have gotten some idea by how it feels.........
I have never seen it in a cow, but I have seen horses swell on their underlines in late pregnancy until a week or so after giving birth. I understood it to be an accumulation of fluid in and around the "milk veins". But I am not a 100% sure.
Unless something has herniated through the abdominal wall, I would not be concerned about it at all.

Swelling, blood, fluid will gravitate to the lowest area so can come from a fair way away. I'd be looking for something up between her legs, torn muscles from the pubic bone, maybe split the pubic symphyses from slipping and doing the splits. If all seems well leave her.
Ken

Pretty much all the first time heifers on the farm i work on got it (it`s very common in holsteins) it`s just liquid nothing to worry about

Latest posts