Needle size

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":2rwlupd8 said:
Bright Raven":2rwlupd8 said:
For vaccines, I use a one inch 18 gauge for intramuscular.
Just curious, what vaccine do you give in the muscle?

Actually, I give Covexin 8 subq. Either way is indicated.

I give most MLVs IM. Such as Bovi Shield Gold FP. Manufacturers indications are either way.

PS - BQA - if both are indicated, use SQ. I know. I still prefer IM when using most MLV.

I buy 1 inch 18 gauge and 3/4 inch 16 gauge. Which one I use depends on the drug I am administering. I prefer the 18 but some drugs are a little thicker and don't like to go through the 18.

Dave":18doa1c1 said:
I buy 1 inch 18 gauge and 3/4 inch 16 gauge. Which one I use depends on the drug I am administering. I prefer the 18 but some drugs are a little thicker and don't like to go through the 18.

I do the same and for the same reasons, except I use 1 inch 16 gauge, and 1 1/2 inch x 18 gauge for Lutalyse.

kenny thomas":37snfgyg said:
I just didn't know of anything recommended in the muscle.
Thank you

I agree, even though I have seen some labels that say IM or SQ, it is my understanding from a BQA standpoint that SQ is the preferred method.

Ky hills":1t96og0h said:
kenny thomas":1t96og0h said:
I just didn't know of anything recommended in the muscle.
Thank you

I agree, even though I have seen some labels that say IM or SQ, it is my understanding from a BQA standpoint that SQ is the preferred method.

Calf-Guard is one that indicates only IM.

Cows: Give 2 doses IM, 3-6 weeks apart during late pregnancy. Cows should be revaccinated with 2 doses during each subsequent pregnancy. 21-day slaughter withdrawal.

Some Tetanus Toxoids and Antitoxins are given only IM. That is why some folks give the Clostridial vaccines that include a tetanus toxoid IM. For example, TCRanch above gives her Covexin 8 IM.

Super Tet Tetanus Toxoid Merck

Directions:
Give cattle, horses and swine 1 mL IM.

Here is an example of the ultimate in poor packing:

On the box is the following:

Inject 2 mL IM. Repeat in 14-28 days and once annually. Calves vaccinated before 6 months of age should be revaccinated at 6 months. A 2 mL booster is recommended prior to time of stress or exposure. 21-day slaughter withdrawal.

On the pamphlet inside the box is the following which contradicts the instructions on the box:

Shake the accompanying bottle of bacterin diluent, then rehydrate the modified live virus vaccine by aseptically adding the diluent to the vaccine vial. Shake the rehydrated vaccine and use immediately. Using aseptic technique, inject 2 mL subcutaneously in front of the shoulder and midway of the neck, away from the suprascapular lymph node.

:cry:

Bright Raven":25breyd5 said:

Inject 2 mL IM. Repeat in 14-28 days and once annually. Calves vaccinated before 6 months of age should be revaccinated at 6 months. A 2 mL booster is recommended prior to time of stress or exposure. 21-day slaughter withdrawal.

On the pamphlet inside the box is the following which contradicts the instructions on the box:

Shake the accompanying bottle of bacterin diluent, then rehydrate the modified live virus vaccine by aseptically adding the diluent to the vaccine vial. Shake the rehydrated vaccine and use immediately. Using aseptic technique, inject 2 mL subcutaneously in front of the shoulder and midway of the neck, away from the suprascapular lymph node.

Mo betta you use sub Q where possible. It gooder for the beef. :nod: :nod: :D

gcreekrch":1sbxfdcl said:
Bright Raven":1sbxfdcl said:

Mo betta you use sub Q where possible. It gooder for the beef. :nod: :nod: :D

I agree. Some vaccines provide a better immune response to IM.

Latest posts