Needing lots of advice please

Help Support CattleToday:

mjdtexan

Reaction score
I live in the Houston Texas area. I have 5 acres and can use the back three to raise the cows. I have no idea how many cows that would support. I am not interested in selling beef. I want to eat it. I have no idea which breed of cow to get. I have no idea what a 3 day old cost or even where to start looking for a couple of them. I would like to slaughter 1 a year. Is it possible to run 3 cows on this limited amout of space? I actually live out in the county ( I can almost throw a rock at the city limit sign). I am looking to purchase it or them in early spring of 09. Right now I am clearing the edges of the property for a 4 wire steel t post barbed wire fence. The pasture has good grass and a pond on it. I no nothing about raising calves. I am curious about things like how old are they when slaughtered, do you supplement with other things than grass, what are these "blocks" that I have seen mentioned on this forum, what is the best way to secure a vet, how do I handle vaccinations, and all of the stuff relative to raising a few cows. I would really appreciate any advice I could get. Nice to meet yall

I would suggest starting out with weaned calves as opposed to bottle babies. Given your space, I think 2 is more reasonable than 3 ~ you will have to suppliment with hay, that pasture will not feed them so much as give them a place to be. Lots of differences between here and there I think ~ but maybe buy something that is not black, they are some cheaper and taste the same. Feeding out is a process, but they finish between 15-18 mos around here. Have you thought of contacting someone in the area and buying a half or quarter from them? or you want the experience of raising your own?

Good advice from MPR below me, it is a good book and an interesting read. Very beginner friendly.

angie":3tcfj28n said:
Have you thought of contacting someone in the area and buying a half or quarter from them? or you want the experience of raising your own?

Thank you for the response. I want the experience. I am super into participating in BBQ competitions and I have been curious about grass fed beef as apposed to IBC or Excell beef.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3tcfj28n said:
First thing you need to do is purchase and read Storys book on raising cattle.

Where would one find Story's book in raising cattle?

Another question, are calves or cows in danger of going into ponds? I hope that dont sound like a silly question.

For the best advice for your area contact the Texas AgriLife Extension Service in Harris County.
http://harris-tx.tamu.edu/ The agent can let you know if you have good grass that would grow a good calf. There are some grasses in this area (Houston) that a cow can starve to death on.

I usually buy baby calves or weaned calves at either the Cattleman's Brenham Livestock Auction in Brenham, Texas (Monday) or the Wharton Livestock Auction in Wharton (Wednesday). The Navasota Livestock Auction is on Saturday. There are some people who advertise on Craigslist. Many of those are people who buy them cheap at the auction, then resell them on Craigslist.

The price of a baby (bottle) calf can run between $50 to over $100 depending on who is at the auction. I sold 3 month old heifer (roping calf size, 275 lbs) recently for $1.05 per lb.

You will want to put up at least a 5 strand wire fence. With four strands, the cattle are more likely to stick their heads thru the fence and push thru. The grass is always greener on the other side.

Many people raise their freezer calves differently here. We have a small farm south of Sugar Land and raise our own meat. We wean the calf at 5 to 6 months. At that time the calf has been started on feed. It is turned out on grass and grained twice daily. Part of feeding it twice daily is to keep it used to people. I don't want or need any wild and crazy cows. It is butchered when it has reached the desired weight and finish. Usually between 12 and 14 months depending on the breed of the steer. We have Jersey cows, so we eat quite a bit of Jersey cross beef.

The steers are usually dewormed at least twice before harvested.

Good luck and give the Harris County Extension office a call. They have literature and resources to help you.

Added, yes cattle like to stand in ponds and you can buy Storey's Book at Amazon, although I have seen it at Border's and Barnes & Noble Books.

PS. Our pastures are Coastal Jiggs and native grasses. We feed round bales of hay during the winter. Even though it really doesn't get cold here, the grass stops growing and you will have to supplement with a good quality hay. A cow can starve to death on poor quality hay.

mjdtexan":310mynbq said:
angie":310mynbq said:
Have you thought of contacting someone in the area and buying a half or quarter from them? or you want the experience of raising your own?

Thank you for the response. I want the experience. I am super into participating in BBQ competitions and I have been curious about grass fed beef as apposed to IBC or Excell beef.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":310mynbq said:
First thing you need to do is purchase and read Storys book on raising cattle.

Another question, are calves or cows in danger of going into ponds? I hope that dont sound like a silly question.
I got mine from Barnes and Noble, you can order off Amazon.

Up here we don't worry about cows or calves going into ponds, unless they break through ice ~ then its a problem. Where you are I don't imagine it is a concern.

I am thinking for grass fed you are going to need to find some pature to rent.

Good luck and Have fun!

chippie":1rcb04h4 said:
For the best advice for your area contact the Texas AgriLife Extension Service in Harris County.
http://harris-tx.tamu.edu/ The agent can let you know if you have good grass that would grow a good calf. There are some grasses in this area (Houston) that a cow can starve to death on.

Thanks for that website, will look at it for sure

I sold 3 month old heifer (roping calf size, 275 lbs) recently for $1.05 per lb.
Do you think this is the better option for me?

You will want to put up at least a 5 strand wire fence.....................The grass is always greener on the other side.
ha ha, I can do five.

Added, yes cattle like to stand in ponds
I am really worried about this. Should I fence this off as well and run some PVC to a stock tank from the well?

angie":1rcb04h4 said:

I got mine from Barnes and Noble, you can order off Amazon.

Up here we don't worry about cows or calves going into ponds, unless they break through ice ~ then its a problem. Where you are I don't imagine it is a concern.

I am thinking for grass fed you are going to need to find some pature to rent.

Good luck and Have fun![/quote] Thats funny

I'm probably one of the few that doesn;t allow the cows to access the ponds. I have freeproof wateres installed below the dams. But in your area you may be able to just put a tock tank in with a float valve and a garden hose to syphon water from a pond.

mjdtexan":151yzy43 said:
I live in the Houston Texas area. I have 5 acres and can use the back three to raise the cows. I have no idea how many cows that would support. I am not interested in selling beef. I want to eat it. I have no idea which breed of cow to get. I have no idea what a 3 day old cost or even where to start looking for a couple of them. I would like to slaughter 1 a year. Is it possible to run 3 cows on this limited amout of space? I actually live out in the county ( I can almost throw a rock at the city limit sign). I am looking to purchase it or them in early spring of 09. Right now I am clearing the edges of the property for a 4 wire steel t post barbed wire fence. The pasture has good grass and a pond on it. I no nothing about raising calves. I am curious about things like how old are they when slaughtered, do you supplement with other things than grass, what are these "blocks" that I have seen mentioned on this forum, what is the best way to secure a vet, how do I handle vaccinations, and all of the stuff relative to raising a few cows. I would really appreciate any advice I could get. Nice to meet yall

Five acres in Texas?

Not much grass if I remember from my days in the Houston area. Not a lot of rain either.

You best remember some things:

1. You may need a fence to contain your cow(s) - but you need a pen to control them as well. Otherwise when you go to round those little lovely quiet creatures up and put them in a trailer you may chase them all over the country after they have jumped your 5 strand fence or walked through it.

2. Are you prepared to spend up to two dollars a day to raise each animal? Probably more as you are new and do not have numbers to do volume business - I would not be surprised to see your costs go to three bucks a day initially or even a bit higher as you run out of grass and such. Which will happen. This is on top of the purchase price of two animals - two is better than one as they are herd creatures. All prices I mentioned are "per animal" - so do the math.

3. You need a veterinarian? Pick up the yellow pages and start calling - find one that makes house calls and does large animals. You will have the need of one eventually. He will not likely come out to help you if you do not have handling facilities - so you may have to haul them to the veterinarian - got a trailer or someone you can hire?

4. I am one who will tell you that you should not raise cattle on 5 acres - in your back yard - just outside the City of Houston. Some will jump on me but you asked about raising cattle. You are going to have to pen them and feed them and water them. You are going to be chored to death and that nice green ground you seem to have in the back will become a dust pile eventually - unless of course you put an even greater effort into keeping it alive and healthy. In fact you put three cattle on your ground and I bet you are feeding every day starting at about one to two weeks into your program - how much hay you got in your area and what is the price?

Everyone looks at old farmers in dirty clothes and rusty trucks and figures they can raise cattle if that old bast**d can do it. Trust me that old bast**d is as smart as a PHD scientist and can pound a penny into a silver dollar. You find one of these guys and then you go and help him every weekend for one to two years BEFORE you bring one animal onto your place. You will be far better off for it and you will not have the wreck like you will see at the site I am soon going to ask you to visit.

Then you start raising grass.

Then you start figuring out where you will get the feed.

How much the feed will cost you.

How much you going to spend getting that feed to your animals.

And the beat goes on.

The advice folks here are giving you about doing some research is truly invaluable.

Go to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=49675

Then:

Get past all the bickering and remember this guy lives in a place that grass LOVES to grow - you have to work at it in your area. Then think about your situation. That animal was allowed to get pretty bad - any cattleman raising animlas can see it right away - you will fight this all the time.

Yeah I am negative - but you want it bad enough you will learn first and you will get it going. If you do not, then you will start in - hurt your bank account, hurt your animals and talk about how good your beef tastes - even if it is schitzen - because you are a cattle rancher!

Go slow and do nothing for a year but learn.

Or spend and regret - the choice in the end is up to you.

Good luck

Bez+

dun":11c6dpmu said:
I'm probably one of the few that doesn;t allow the cows to access the ponds. I have freeproof wateres installed below the dams. But in your area you may be able to just put a tock tank in with a float valve and a garden hose to syphon water from a pond.

I'm one of those few too...

Lots of negatives about cows in the ponds and few positives.

Oh we have a lot of grass in the Houston area this year. I had forgotten about adding a pen and chute.

Do you have a well on your land? I wouldn't depend on the pond for water. We've had a lot of rain this year and many ponds are full. Past years, many went dry. We have stock tanks (you can buy them at Tractor Supply) with automatic waterers.

The Texas A&M website has a lot of information too.

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/main/academics/beef/pubs.html

If you want to find out the cost of processing a steer, send me a PM and I will give you the name of the place that we use. Since you do BBQ cook offs, you might know about them. They process and sell whole small pigs for roasting on a spit. Do you compete at the county fairs here?

ETA: You can probably raise a couple of steers on your land, but you will need to supplement with hay and probably some grain. It is best to buy two. They eat better and are less likely to roam. You may not have enough acreage for grass only. Your starting expense will be building a tight wire fence, a wooden or cattle panel pen, troughs, and water source in pen because you will probably want to keep the critters penned for several days and feed them in the pen so that they learn that it is home now. Be sure that you set it up so that you can easily get a trailer in to unload and load your livestock.

Do you have a trailer for hauling cattle? Even if you are only going to get a couple head, a trailer is one of the most important pieces of equipment when owning livestock. The going price for hauling depending on fuel prices is $1.00 + a mile per loaded weight.

Do you live on your property? If not, your cattle should be checked daily. Unfortunately with your small acreage if you don't live there, your cattle would be easy to steal.

Call the Harris County Extension Office. An agent there can help you.

chippie":1ff56p20 said:
Oh we have a lot of grass in the Houston area this year. I had forgotten about adding a pen and chute.
I paid a neighbor with a brush hog 4 times this year to cut the back because it gets so high.

Do you have a well on your land?
two wells actually.

If you want to find out the cost of processing a steer, send me a PM and I will give you the name of the place that we use. Since you do BBQ cook offs, you might know about them.
Yes I would like the name and no, I dont know much about them. I have seen reference to "hang time" made mentioned here at those places and I an wondering what that is all about. I will PM you after I get done cooking these pork spare ribs.

Do you compete at the county fairs here?
yes I do. I do very well too.

ETA: You can probably raise a couple of steers on your land, but you will need to supplement with hay and probably some graonly.in.
I have been looking at that those large round hay bales in Crosby. I have not researched the grain part and to be honest I am a little comfused about grain. Some seem proud that they use none and some recommend using it.

Your starting expense will be building a tight wire fence, a wooden or cattle panel pen, troughs, and water source in pen because you will probably want to keep the critters penned for several days and feed them in the pen so that they learn that it is home now.

Be sure that you set it up so that you can easily get a trailer in to unload and load your livestock.
I have considered that and am prepared for that.

Do you have a trailer for hauling cattle?
I do not own a trailer yet. I have been looking at a couple of them. Will a two horse-horse trailer work? The people in my area tend to own horses and goats. There is one cow in my neighbor hood but I can see its ribs and spine so I probably wont be asking his opinion.

Do you live on your property? If not, your cattle should be checked daily. Unfortunately with your small acreage if you don't live there, your cattle would be easy to steal.
Yes I live on the property. The front two acres are 6 foot high cyclone fenced. I just had that put up two years ago. I live on the NE side off of 59

Call the Harris County Extension Office. An agent there can help you.
Thanks for that. It appears there are a few places like that in the Houston area to call.

Bez+ has made me start thinking quite a bit. I do believe that my land will support two cows but now I am nervous about it. I am prepared to but plenty of hay. I do understand that I may wind up paying more for this beef than is commercially availble for them meat packers but I just have to find out. I am not buying cows tommorrow. I am putting a lot of work into the pasture. I will not put beef on that pasture and not be a responsible beef owner. I do want everybodies insight please. That website on the other thread with the pictures and the scale about what kind of shape the cows are in was a real eye opener. Thats how I figured out my down the street neighbors cow was way to skinny. He raises that cow on about two acres with some goats and chickens on the same property.

grannysoo":3ol7azbb said:
dun":3ol7azbb said:

I'm one of those few too...

Lots of negatives about cows in the ponds and few positives.

Make that three of us. We have a total of five ponds, fenced with waterers installed. We think it makes a big difference in our cows to have the cold, clear water.

A lot of excellent advice thus far. :)

Now here's my two cents: Starting out with roping sized calves (someone mentioned ~275 lbs @ 3 months of age) is a bit too small. If you purchase a couple 500 to 600 lb calves (they'd be just weaned at 6 months), particularly steers, that is the best to get you on the road. If you alone are going to butcher them I wouldn't worry much about the breed, other than what does well down in your area. Brahman-based breeds might be a bit too much for you, so the british-continental crossbreds might be your best bet for getting good BBQ beef (I recommend the yellow-white face crossbreds. ;-) I've had experience with raising these steers up north here and they go great on grass, as well as hay if it's of good quality and is supplemented with ground-up oats or corn or even barley.)

The "blocks" that are mentioned on this board at times are salt licks, where salt, mineral, and sometimes anti-bloating agents are packed together into a solid block that the cattle lick. Most folks on here don't like using blocks though for mineral consumption because the cattle just lick and lick at it but really they don't get much out of it. The loose salt (that comes in bags, or stuff you can rig up yourself) is better for cattle to get adequate mineral in their diet.

As for grain versus grass, that is a controversial topic among cattle folks. The conventional feedlot folks use 85% grain-based diet with 15% forage to finish slaughter cattle to get that white fat and tender beef with the type of marbling that most consumers love to see when they buy a steak or roast at the grocery store. Grass-fed beef however gives the yellow-fat from the nutrient carotin that comes from a primarily grass-based diet. I've heard different opinions that the beef is more leaner and (I think) a little less tender than grain-finished beef, and the marbling isn't as much as grain-finished either. A bit of a discussion I started here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43566 . I don't want to hi-jack this thread so I'll end it here (if you want to ask more on this I'd start another topic to see if you can get some more fur flying. ;-) )

And I agree with what the rest had to say about starting up; fencing, facilities, water, grass and hay, etc.

Good luck!

mjd,

thank you for asking all these questions. the people on here are pretty good and giving honest responses. I am learning calves/cows/cattle are very fun and enjoyable to be around. They are a lot of work but it is that old hands on work that can be so satisfying too.

One thing bout your neighbors cow, do you know the breed? It could be a milk breed that is naturally bony looking. Just a thought.

Good Luck on your new adventure.

Latest posts