Needing a spray rig

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I'm needing a bigger spray rig for pastures. I have a couple small 12 volt with 8 foot booms. These are only 30 gallon and sit in the back of my side-by-side. I'm wanting something that'll put out more volume at faster forward speed, the goal being to cover more ground/less time.

I'm leaning toward the 3-point PTO units, but also intrigued with the trailer mounted self contained units (has dedicated gasoline engine). One reason for the latter would be pulling behind a truck while sitting in the air conditioned cab. I could still pull it with my little tractor (Jubilee) in the places I don't need to take my truck. It also keeps a tractor freed up for other things.

This is primarily for herbicide/pesticide use and thinking 16' boom or greater, maybe 100-150 gallon capacity? Two wheel drive Ford 6610 (about 72hp) does have an FEL if that helps with the 3-point type.
What does the CT brain-trust say about the advantages/disadvantages of different designs, types, sizes, and brands?

They're quality built. You may be able to find something similar used somewhere.

I have a gooseneck one, pulled with a Suzuki Samurai. Don't use it anymore, need to sell it. Really good units, for what they are.

I prefer the boom style because it is more precise and accurate. If you see professional / commercial sprayers in the fields they are all boom style.

if you go with anything bigger than 150 gallons, I highly recommend a trailer style and not the 3 point. A gallon of water weighs 8.3 pounds so 150 gallons weighs 1245 pounds. As water sloshes around with that kid of weight it can really throw you. I actually have a 300 gal 3pt but I'm nervous with it until it goes through the first 100 gallons. I'm exploring how to convert it to a trailer.

I'm needing a bigger spray rig for pastures. I have a couple small 12 volt with 8 foot booms. These are only 30 gallon and sit in the back of my side-by-side. I'm wanting something that'll put out more volume at faster forward speed, the goal being to cover more ground/less time.

I'm leaning toward the 3-point PTO units, but also intrigued with the trailer mounted self contained units (has dedicated gasoline engine). One reason for the latter would be pulling behind a truck while sitting in the air conditioned cab. I could still pull it with my little tractor (Jubilee) in the places I don't need to take my truck. It also keeps a tractor freed up for other things.

This is primarily for herbicide/pesticide use and thinking 16' boom or greater, maybe 100-150 gallon capacity? Two wheel drive Ford 6610 (about 72hp) does have an FEL if that helps with the 3-point type.
What does the CT brain-trust say about the advantages/disadvantages of different designs, types, sizes, and brands?
I have a ag spray 150 Gallon I got at our local coop. it's worked good so far, they have a upgrade to not have a boom but these spray nozzles which I recommend.
what I like is everything is accessible and fixable and has a filter you can clean easily. Works with a 3pt abs hooks to a pto. I use a 70 hp kubota and it does fine gives you about a 30 ft spray path with the nozzles

Boom types are better if you have flat, somewhat smooth ground without trees. I don't have any of these so use a boomless trailer model. It works very well but not when its windy. As noted by Dusty, three points can be squirrly if not matched to your tractor size.. Nothing makes you feel more helpless than going down a hill with your front wheels off the ground. A good guidance system is well worth the money to save chemical and avoid skipped areas and overlaps.

I have one of the 335 gallon rigs from these guys.

They have dealers in Arkansas or you can buy factory direct. Call them and talk to Waylon. He can advise you based on your wants and needs.

I spray with a 200 gallon 3pt with a 30' boom. Depending on how flat your pasture is you may be able to get by with longer or shorter. I've had to get handy with boom repairs because the tips like to drag when the terrain rolls. As I get more comfortable with my spray technique I find that becomes less of a problem.

This is a question that depends on how many acres, tractor size, and what kind of ground.

I personally do not like 3pt sprayers but their price tag is hard to beat.

With a trailer I can take 2-3 times the volume as on a 3pt with little worries about terrain.

Booms or boomless will also depend on the acres and landscape.

I bought our trailer mounted pto drive sprayer from the tractor house we trade with. They do rentals and were updating the rentals so sold the older models at 35% below new price after fixing any issues. Never had a lick of trouble with it.....knock on wood.

This is a question that depends on how many acres, tractor size, and what kind of ground.

I personally do not like 3pt sprayers but their price tag is hard to beat.

With a trailer I can take 2-3 times the volume as on a 3pt with little worries about terrain.

Booms or boomless will also depend on the acres and landscape.
About 80 acres in grass, mostly new ground that's still a bit rough. I just limed it last year, and hoping to get broiler litter on it this year. Ford 6610. Only 15 acres is mostly level and smooth. The remainder of the terrain is rolling hills, some steep.

I'm not using this commercially, just my place. After watching some videos, it seems boomless is best for my mission. I don't think I could use a boom over 16-18 feet without tearing it up often.

I'll post this every time the subject comes up.

Attachments

• 0359E523-4242-4F0F-957F-797EC08CCC0F.jpeg
    0359E523-4242-4F0F-957F-797EC08CCC0F.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8