Need your advice on this one

Help Support CattleToday:

Fly-guy

Reaction score
Our youngest one is asking if Holsteins' are worth sending to the packing house. He has a friend that is trying to get him to buy a 450 pound Holstein steer to slaughter.

I assume the black part is good and the white part isn't? Grin, Hee Hee.

If he can buy it right ,do it. the Holstien will take a little longer & a bit more feed ,but they are good eating too. :cboy:

You're missing all the fun by buying a 450 pounder. All you have to do is give it a little feed and your done. You should get a bottle calf and let the fun begin ;-) . By the way, all I eat is Holstein beef around this place.

There are tons(millions?) of Holstein steers fed out and slaughtered every year; no telling how much of the retail beef folks buy is actually Holstein.
They 'eat' better than they grade - folks who know how to feed them can do OK. The Holdstein genepool is small enough that the amount of variation between animals is minimal compared to what you'd get with a put-together group of beef calves. Saw somewhere, years ago, that their muscle fibers are smaller-diameter than most beef breeds, hence the fact that the meat is better than its quality grade would suggest.

novaman":1qbbgldl said:
You're missing all the fun by buying a 450 pounder. All you have to do is give it a little feed and your done. You should get a bottle calf and let the fun begin ;-) . By the way, all I eat is Holstein beef around this place.
Have to agree on this one, got 3 holstein steers in pasture right now, headed for the freezer in fall :clap:

Latest posts