Need trainer in North Texas.

Help Support CattleToday:

bobrammer

Reaction score
I've got two weanling Paints that need some guidance. I'm new to horses. To be honest, I'm a bit intimidated by them right now. I'd like to get a trainer to work with them for a month or so to lay the foundation, give them some manners etc. Anybody know someone in north TX? I'm close to Waxahachie and Ennis. Thanks! Bob

if you are intimidated by them you need a trainer that will work with you as well as the colts. this type of situation is why some folks get in and out of the horse business they buy a green or unbroke horse get hurt or afraid of them then they sell out. watch your trainer and understand that you are the one on top of the food chain keep that mindset get confident

You can buy a good dead broke older gelding, to learn on. Then after you have rode a couple of years and learned how to ride and handle a horse, Then get you something gentle and little greener to play with. You can buy a broke gelding for what your going to spend getting the two paints weanlings grown and then broke to ride.

while i agree with you oscar on the dead broke horse. that wont take his fear away that he will eventually have too deal with.ive seen folks get rough and hoop and hollar and beat and bang on a horse have the horse a nervous wreck all the time its just because their scared. a good horseman can take the same horse with a calm aproach and do wonders.. trying too solve the same problems.if he spends the money to have those colts trained and can't deal with them when they come back what then

get a trainer that works with YOU and the horse at the same time. You both need to learn stuff, and if you do it at the same time, it will form a bond that will last for many years and many great rides....good luck....

Yep, I agree they both need to be trained at the same time. If not, the first time you get up on that horse he IS going to know you are afraid of him/her.

Billy Steel he is the Judging Director for the AQHA lives at Streetman,Tx.or he used to, would know who around you rode horses. My folks live there actually at Winkler.Richland Chambers reservour,I am 5hr.N of you in Ok.Kyle, Neal and Jimmy Jumper lives close to where you do Waxahachie,I believe or close to it. I almost forgot them they would sure know and might help.Good Luck. Them little ones can be a hand full.Don't let em get ya down.With a little helpl you will be alright.

Hey Bob, take it from me, there is no subsitute for a good broke horse. I will never again buy a Green Broke Horse, my bones couldnt take it. Seriously! Sell um and get an older solid broke gelding to learn how to ride on, unless you want to be a Rodeo cowboy. PS. Rodeo HURTS.