Need to moderate frame

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
I have this big commercial girl, mostly Brangus, who is so easy-going, efficient on grass, but is bigger frame than my little area can support if more than her of this size. I have her bred to an Aberdeen this year, but wanted to know about other smaller-frame AI sires known for grass efficiency

Attachments

• E41B4882-37B9-46E9-878E-61012BBFB3B7.jpeg
    E41B4882-37B9-46E9-878E-61012BBFB3B7.jpeg
    762.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 39F53536-BAAF-4148-A82D-D5EC2C44FC32.jpeg
    39F53536-BAAF-4148-A82D-D5EC2C44FC32.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 2
The answer probably depends on what other traits you are trying to promote, and how you market your cattle. Tell us more.

The answer probably depends on what other traits you are trying to promote, and how you market your cattle. Tell us more.
I have a very limited acreage, so the "idea" of straight Aberdeen Angus is great, but after comparing a FB to a halfblood steer, I prefer the added carcass of the halfblood. I direct market 4-5 per year to coworkers who typically don't want to buy more than 1/4 carcass. I have decent pasture when it rains, hay when it stops, but have been blown away at the grass efficiency of this cow and the Aberdeen influence steers I've purchased. She's a great cow, just too big for my available resources. I'd like the heterosis effect to produce a decent steer, or if I end up with a smaller frame heifer for future use, that's fine too.
this cow is out of a university commercial beef herd, and is a composite that has been super efficient on grass since we got her at 10 mo old.

Composite means that a lot of the heterosis has already been captured. If you keep outcrossing you will continue to expand the possibilities of what happens at every mating. I'd breed to a FB and save daughters and see how they do. I really like a bull I've bought a few daughters on from Shelby Cattle Company at his dispersal. Bull's name is OCC Unlimited. He's an inbred son of OCC Linebred. There is zero phenotypic inbreeding depression in this bull. At over a decade, he prowled around the pastures like his was King of the castle. My daughters and granddaughters are slick, feminine and moderate, with perfect udders. I'll be breeding my best grandson of Unlimited back across my Wye and Pinebank cattle. I had been looking for the right Ohlde blood for quite some time, and I think I've found what I was looking for. Definitely not the power and size of Paxton, but the daughters are knockouts.

Latest posts