Need to know the best way to go

Help Support CattleToday:

shotgun7

Reaction score
i am totally new to raising cattle....but i am going to be buying some land soon the place i am looking at right now is around 10-15 acars still waiting for all the details, but about half is pasture...and i would fence in the other half as i couldn afford it....what i need to know is the best way to go...i really dont want to get into breeding just yet but i was thinking maybe buying baby calfs, bottle feeding them, and then growing them on out to 800-1000lbs would i be better to do that or just buy feeder calfs and raise them out....i have noticed big cows (grown) dont go for nearly as much as calfs do though...so maybe i should consider breeding.....

also how long does it take a baby calf (that would have to be bottle fed) to grow out to 800-1000lbs and how long would it take a feeder calf to grow out to a good selling weight?

thats so much for the help!

shotgun7":2z1qwvng said:
i am totally new to raising cattle....but i am going to be buying some land soon the place i am looking at right now is around 10-15 acars still waiting for all the details, but about half is pasture...and i would fence in the other half as i couldn afford it....what i need to know is the best way to go...i really dont want to get into breeding just yet but i was thinking maybe buying baby calfs, bottle feeding them, and then growing them on out to 800-1000lbs would i be better to do that or just buy feeder calfs and raise them out....i have noticed big cows (grown) dont go for nearly as much as calfs do though...so maybe i should consider breeding.....

also how long does it take a baby calf (that would have to be bottle fed) to grow out to 800-1000lbs and how long would it take a feeder calf to grow out to a good selling weight?

thats so much for the help!
If you had indicated on your profile your location it would give us a general idea of what is available for feed, pasture, types of cattle available, whether it be dairy calves, beef type cattle, or whatever.
Does the land in your area support one calf per acre or 50 acres per animal. Is there an abundance of silage available at a reasonable price or do you have to buy hay at maybe $50.00 per ton or more.
Help us to help you.

With no background in raising cattle, I would suggest you start with just a couple of 500-600 lb calves, graze them through your grazing season then sell. You can gain experience and get a feel for what inprovments you will need and just how muany head/how much feed there is.
Make sure you have a gathering pen/area and a headcatch at a minimum before you get started.

dun

Unless you can be around the baby calves mostly 24/7, don't think about buying babies and bottle feeding them to weaning age. That is a big investment in time and care. If you buy some, buy weaned calves and feed them out with available forage and any supplements as needed.

Baby calves nurse several times a day.

I would suggest raising feeder calves til you think you have the hang of it then do it for a few more years just in case. Breeding animals can be a hassle for beginners yet so can wild calves. Go walk through the barn before you by them and see which ones are wild and which ones are decent.

Latest posts