Need to break this curse!

Help Support CattleToday:

Black and Good

Reaction score
Had a great day yesterday! Not! :mad: Had a second PB Gelbvieh calf lost this makes 2 in a week and a half! A.I.ed to a so called heifer bull when I bought her back in Oct. this bull calf weighed 97 lbs. The other calf was the one that fell though the ice. Pretty discouraged right now. :( B&G

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

That's a good-sized calf there.
But, the amount of head/tongue swelling present tells me he was stuck in the pelvic canal for quite a while.
I know you can't live with them, and I've lost my share of them just like that, but outcome might have been different if you'd found 'em earlier.
Hate to see it for you.

I'll not cast any stones, because I've had 6 born this weekend. I'm a little surprised at someone in your area calving in January. That's pretty common here, with us low management guys. How common is it there?

I'm so sorry to hear (and see) that! A bulls EPD's are a useful tool but only half the story. Here's hoping your luck changes for the better!

And Bigfoot, I can't speak for B&G but "Spring" calving around southeastern KS typically starts in Feb. We moved ours back to start end of Feb, primarily because of the brutal weather, but there's always one that kicks off calving earlier than anticipated. Having said that, we just had 2 born early Dec. One from a prolific breeder that gave us 2 in one year and the other from a cow that aborted last Jan (due mid March) but bred back immediately.

TCRanch":1i52rbik said:
I'm so sorry to hear (and see) that! A bulls EPD's are a useful tool but only half the story. Here's hoping your luck changes for the better!

And Bigfoot, I can't speak for B&G but "Spring" calving around southeastern KS typically starts in Feb. We moved ours back to start end of Feb, primarily because of the brutal weather, but there's always one that kicks off calving earlier than anticipated. Having said that, we just had 2 born early Dec. One from a prolific breeder that gave us 2 in one year and the other from a cow that aborted last Jan (due mid March) but bred back immediately.

I actually like to keep a heifer born in January. It pushes one born in late spring, to breed on time.

Bigfoot":2moscq7p said:
TCRanch":2moscq7p said:

I actually like to keep a heifer born in January. It pushes one born in late spring, to breed on time.

I'm really considering keeping the 2 heifers we had in Dec. Logistically it would be a pain but where there's a will there's a way & I love their lineage.

Black and Good- Sorry things are tuff for you right now. Dont let it get you down. Farming in general is a tuff deal. The good times will roll around. Keep pluggin..

Best of luck moving forward,

Cotton1

Black and Good":7vw6qzjy said:
dun":7vw6qzjy said:
How high was the EPD accuracy for the "heifer bull"

dun, He's CED 14 BW -0.1 Accuracy on both are around 50.

B&G
What about the cow and what;s your winter feed program

Very sorry. Lost a top pedigree heifer when I started my transition from commercial to registered. A Rocking P Milestone heifer. Bred her In Force - calving ease deluxe. Had a 110 pound calf. Severed a uterine artery. Vet got a hemistat on it just before she dropped dead.

Looking at her pedigree, the issue was in her pedigree. Not the bull.

Latest posts