Need tips - showing Longhorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Baroness

Reaction score
I am planning on entering some cows into the Horn Showcase. I have never participated in any shows so I am unsure of what all I need to do. Can anyone who has participated in Longhorn shows give some pointers on what I should be doing to get ready for the show? This may sound silly but do I need to be bathing them, brushing them, etc? I know that I am allowed to clip some of the hair at the base of the horns but that is all I know.
Any and all help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Dawn

When showing Longhorns washing and brushing are acceptable clipping is not. They are to be shown in a natural state. No polishing of horns or hooves, in fact some animals are shown with no prep what so ever. You will notice that a longhorn show is a lot less intense than shows of most other breeds. Seems almost like the show is the excuse for everyone to get together and visit. But as always there will be a few who take it way more serious than they need to. have fun !!!

DaletheDairyFarmer":1fpwoz9l said:
When showing Longhorns washing and brushing are acceptable clipping is not. They are to be shown in a natural state. No polishing of horns or hooves, in fact some animals are shown with no prep what so ever. You will notice that a longhorn show is a lot less intense than shows of most other breeds. Seems almost like the show is the excuse for everyone to get together and visit. But as always there will be a few who take it way more serious than they need to. have fun !!!

This is actually very far from the truth... I'll get to why shortly.

The Horn Showcase, while called a "show", is not a "show" in the traditional sense. It is just a horn measuring contest. Basically what happens: Cattle Arrive, Horns Measured, Results Announced, Cattle Leave. There are many other activities for the owners going on, but as far as cattle, thats it. You actually are not even showing off the cattle, just their horns.

Regular Texas Longhorn shows are much the same of any other breed shows, except there are no grooming chutes allowed, and no generators allowed for the aide of clipping or trimming. Trimming is very much allowed, and encouraged, even at the show, as long as there are no grooming chutes or generators. Although, Dale is correct in regards to polishing or sanding the horns, or polishing the hooves.

I have been showing Texas Longhorns for 20 years this spring, so if you have any questions at all please feel free to ask. I am more than happy to help in any way I can. If you have a chance stop by our website and check out our Longhorns.

Ryan

Don't want to get into mud slinging match or anything here but when we showed '93-05 it was not acceptable to clip or trim any hair with exception of prepuce hair on a bull and according to the official rule book (ITLA)any animal who showed signs of having been clipped was supposed to be disqualified for the year. maybe those rules have since been changed or were never enforced in some parts of the country. Every show we have been to including 3 championship shows have been social events with cows. But i do understand that in the Texas area there are folks who hit shows almost every weekend (the ones who take far more serious than needed) and that level of competition may have escalated animal prep past what were supposed to be done.

Dale,
I am not a member of the ITLA, I have attended two shows including the Championship show in Glen Rose last October. I show in the TLBAA, have since 1988. It used to be against the rules in the TLBAA to trim and give haircuts. However, it is now allowed to fully groom your animals, as long as no chutes or generators are used. These events are still full-on social events, too, and extremely family oriented.

Ryan

Latest posts