Need Tips on Peeling Boiled Eggs

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
My neighbor brought me a flat of eggs. I immediately saw the potential culinary delights that could be created by boiling the eggs and placing them and a double handful of hot dried chiles in a half gallon Claussens pickle jar to marinate after I had finished the pickles. I boiled the eggs ten minutes. I then placed them in the fridge for a couple of days and took them out this morning to peel. Found them very difficult to peel without tearing the egg up. Did I boil them too long? A half dozen or so got mangled up so bad I fed them to the dogs.
P1000343.jpg

The fresher the eggs the harder to peel.

I think.

Thanks for the tips. I think both tips are good ones. I'd heard both those tips before but forgot them.

Or place them in ice cold water immediately after removing from boiling water and refrigerate over night, the other thing that works is crack the egg and toss it back into the cold water for a second and then start to peel it.

The best and most convenient way is what gannysoo said, put vinegar in the water before you boil them..

Now, as far as your idea on how to use them up... :roll: :roll: yuk.

:lol2: C'mon hillsdown you know a pickled egg makes a great lunchtime appetizer every now and then.

I peel the eggs while they are still too hot to touch. I turn the cold water on slow and peel them under the stream as they come out of the pan. You will never have a problem getting the shell to almost slide off.

Those look delicious! I love pickled eggs Much to the dismay and embarrassment of my daughter I even made a ditti about them.

This is sung to the tune of Donna Fargo's song - "Funny Face"

Pickled eggs I luv you
Pickled eggs I wanst you
Pickled eggs I needs you
Pickled eggs I luv you
Pickled eggs don't leave me
Pickled eggs I luv you

I made a batch several years ago using habenera, scotch bonnets and jalepena peppers. I misplaced one jar for 8 years. When I disovered them they looked like chocolate easter eggs. A buddy of mine - a pickled egg conisseur - and I polished these bad boys off with some cold beer. The experience was similar to similar to washing down tequilla with beer. Hot was the word for them. I can guarantee you if either of us had worms they were burned from our bowels. :lol2:

I now add beet juice to the mix to give them that store bought look.

:lol2: :lol2: That's a good one Jo. I'm gonna start singing the pickled egg song around the house and see what kind of response I get.

Angie, that's a nice simple plan you have there. I'll try that next time.

With fresh eggs, I poke a hole in the large end of the egg before I boil. I rarely have much trouble peeling them if I do that. I'm going to try the vinegar next time though.

Jogeephus":o5e609w3 said:
Those look delicious! I love pickled eggs Much to the dismay and embarrassment of my daughter I even made a ditti about them.

This is sung to the tune of Donna Fargo's song - "Funny Face"

Pickled eggs I luv you
Pickled eggs I wanst you
Pickled eggs I needs you
Pickled eggs I luv you
Pickled eggs don't leave me
Pickled eggs I luv you

I made a batch several years ago using habenera, scotch bonnets and jalepena peppers. I misplaced one jar for 8 years. When I disovered them they looked like chocolate easter eggs. A buddy of mine - a pickled egg conisseur - and I polished these bad boys off with some cold beer. The experience was similar to similar to washing down tequilla with beer. Hot was the word for them. I can guarantee you if either of us had worms they were burned from our bowels. :lol2:

I now add beet juice to the mix to give them that store bought look.

Jogee...just reading that made my butt burn. :lol: Not to even mention the heart burn

Pickeled eggs and beer? Bet your wife made you sleep in the barn for the next three or four nights. Talk about contributing to the methane problem. :lol: More like Hydrogen Sulphide that anything else. Whew!!!!

It is true, the fresher the eggs the harder it is to peel them. I put eggs in a pan, cover with water, put on stovetop on medium. I bring to a boil, boil for a minute or two, then cover and turn off heat (pan is still on the burner). I let sit for at least 10 min. I then dump out the hot water and replace with cold, and cool the eggs down enough so I'm not burning my fingers. I roll the egg on the counter so it is cracked all over, run cold water over the egg while peeling. This seems to work best for me because I use both fresh and older eggs. I will try the vinegar, though. :)

Try peeling your eggs right before they are boiled. I find that they peel very easy that way. :banana:

I just got a revelation from a higher authority. Mrs. Jo said that we are all doing it wrong. She said you need to use an egg piercer to piece the end of the egg. Put them in a pot of water and bring to a rolling boil. Once this is reached, leave it on the eye but turn eye off and leave in water for 15 minutes. Then pour out the hot water and fill with cold water. According to her, they will peel every time this way and you won't have the green ring between the yolk and the white which will make deviled eggs look unsightly.

I agree.. the fresher the eggs, the harder to peel them. But the immediate cold water on them usually does the trick.
How many of you ever try to bust an egg (not boiled), by placing it in the palm of your hand, and wrapping it up tightly, and squeezing as hard as you can? Cant be done, I tell ya.. I dont care how strong your hands are.... it cant be done. Cant have any rings, or jewelery on the hand your using either, when you try it.

Randy and Mrs. Jo, what are you using to poke hole in end of egg...I'm sure that I'd end up with lots of broken unboiled eggs.

donnaIL":n6pc6i9n said:
Randy and Mrs. Jo, what are you using to poke hole in end of egg...I'm sure that I'd end up with lots of broken unboiled eggs.

I just use a thumbtack. You poke a hole in the big end, where the air pocket would be. It works on most of the eggs. There will still be the odd one that is still hard to peel.

randiliana":1a71uo09 said:
donnaIL":1a71uo09 said:

I just use a thumbtack. You poke a hole in the big end, where the air pocket would be. It works on most of the eggs. There will still be the odd one that is still hard to peel.

Thanks, I'll have to try it.

donnaIL":1ft9vjln said:
randiliana":1ft9vjln said:
donnaIL":1ft9vjln said:

Thanks, I'll have to try it.

You're welcome, but be careful if you are doing thinner shelled eggs. I haven't had many problems, but the odd hen lays a thin shelled egg, and they will break.

Latest posts