need timely advice on cow with a bloat

Help Support CattleToday:

cowmomma

Reaction score
My daughter has a four year old Jersey cow that is four minths pregnant. Belle wouldn't eat her grain at milking this AM. Her left side is swoll up and spongy. We tied her on a ramp with her head higher than her rear. This gave her some releif. She grazed a little then laid down. I came in and did a search on bloat and as I have to leave the farm this afternoon we decided to tube her. I am not sure I am bold enough to do this unaided. The tube went in almost five feet...no whoosh...no breathing sounds either. When we pulled out the tube it was covered with yellowish muck..so I am pretty sure I got it down the right pipe. So here I sit with her in the chute and a desk full of antiacid bottles. What should I do next or does it sound like it will pass? She has had diareah this AM so she is not plugged up. I think she got the bottom bale on the stack yesterday and it was probably too moldy...I know she hasn't gotten into the grain and there is no lush growth around here. Thanks!

I would never presume to give advise being a rookie and all, but I saw you hadn't received a response and I remembered reading a post recently about bloat. It was posted by Jersified.
"I would start concintrating on suthing those guts, sound like she has been through the ringer, Bismol also known as Pepto Bismo, Works awsome.
And like it was suggested before PROBIOS, PROBIOS it helps replace the flaura and fauna in the digestive system.

If she continues to bloat I would definatly try the mineral oil it works great for Bloat, Baking Soda is the best but will mess with PH in the guts. with the mineral oil it will coat and sooth the digestive track so know that any medicines givan orally right away will not absorbe into the body correctly.

I hope this helps. And I hope your daughters cow perks up.

Squirt 60-120cc's of liquid detergent down her throat. Just fill a syringe without a needle and stick it into her mouth between the side of her mouth and the jawbone. She should open her jaw and then you squirt the detergent into the back of her mouth.

The detergent should breakdown the foam in her rumen. Usually works in 30 minutes or so.

It was double posted. She got some answer sfrom the Health and Nutrition Tab

Latest posts