Need thoughts on security cameras for business

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My wife and I are disagreeing on security cameras for our business. I would like to have cameras in areas that employees access. My thought is to have hidden (stealth) cameras so the staff does not know they are there. My wife wants obvious cameras so all know and act accordingly. I want to know what's happening when my wife and I are not there to watch. Yes I suspect theft of some sort. She really has a hard time with spying on our long term employees and feels they should know about the cameras. Thanks to the economy our staff members have all been with us for multiple years.

The second issue I have is if I find something, such as a theft, how to fire them without letting them know I have evidence on tape and other staff finding out about the cameras.

So two issues, any help?

I own a business and do not have any cameras my stuff is a lil harder to steal. However I do want security cameras at the entrance to my propery and on my doors. I personally will not go cheap on the cameras and will try to get some with night vision on them and color and digital recording. I have always wanted them but never really pulled the trigger on them. I personally am like this if I cant have the best there is on something I want the 2nd best and if you go cheap you would be wasting your money. I personally think there should be some cameras in common areas that are visible and in the high theft area they should be concealed. If you find something why not let them know you got them on tape stealing ? Why wouldn't you want the other employees to know you terminated someone for stealing ? they could take something so valuable you may not be able to get back so them knowing you fired someone for it could be a blessing.

My thoughts on the hidden cameras is once they know they are there it will never be a hidden camera agian. Also once they know cameras are there do they find a way to work around it? Most of the staf I trust but it only takes one to take a few hundred a week.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Now from my experience we have cameras in the store and we know they are there, but the floor supervisor told everyone they don't work and don't worry about them.
One co-worker is a techie and guess what!?! The cameras are working!!!!!
There was theft also going on and it took them awhile to figure out how the person was doing it. When they scanned items they would put their finger over the bar code.

I would hide them at first. If you are suspecting a thief better the watch them unaware. Then once you catch them red handed then you can bring the cameras out.

well look at it this way if the company that installs the cameras know what they are doingand you get a good system it will monitor all different angles in your business. It doesnt matter how many cameras are there or not there if they know or dont know about them if they are gonna take something they will take it. A lock only keeps a honest person honest. The only way you can avoid theft is either have no employees or nothing they can steal.

Honestly our experience has been that it doesn't matter, they will forget after a while anyway..... We have had them 15 years plus. Then occasionally you will get "that's not me" when confronting a problem

Alan, if someone was stealing from you and you caught them on camera, why would you not prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law?? The only reason being I could see is maybe they were going to have a bad accident.

Alan":3u6pjf9a said:
My wife and I are disagreeing on security cameras for our business. I would like to have cameras in areas that employees access. My thought is to have hidden (stealth) cameras so the staff does not know they are there. My wife wants obvious cameras so all know and act accordingly. I want to know what's happening when my wife and I are not there to watch. Yes I suspect theft of some sort. She really has a hard time with spying on our long term employees and feels they should know about the cameras. Thanks to the economy our staff members have all been with us for multiple years.

The second issue I have is if I find something, such as a theft, how to fire them without letting them know I have evidence on tape and other staff finding out about the cameras.

So two issues, any help?

Alan, if you fire them without reason, you will most likely be paying their unemployment claim after the firing. However, if you can show misconduct (theft) then, you will not have to pay on the claim. For this reason, it might be best to have the cameras exposed. This serves as a warning to employees and visitors, thus a paper trail in case you need to defend a firing.

highgrit":2jiuhw3o said:
Alan, if someone was stealing from you and you caught them on camera, why would you not prosecute them to the fullest extent of the law?? The only reason being I could see is maybe they were going to have a bad accident.

I don't have much faith I the full extent of the law. A slap on the hand and maybe short probation. I would of course go,after them for a big theft, but I'm thinking from a roll of paper towels to a few bucks here and there. If it's paper towels I think I would rather get rid of the problem quickly and quietly.

After 30+ years in the work force I found that the vast majority of employers are not honest to some extent. They may be stealing cash on a regular basis, they may be stealing cleaning supplies here and there or they may simply be stealing time.

My thoughts are that if they are unaware of cameras they won't change their habits and I can make them quit, reduced hours, all the crap jobs, regular chew out sessions. If I find the theft is bad enough just fire them for a multitude if reasons including video evidence. I don't want to expose the hidden cameras for 1 roll of paper towels, in fact one roll of paper towels for the right employee may just marked down as the cost of doing business.

I'm also concerned if they know the cameras are there they would simple try to get to a blind spot such as one of the bathrooms or a hallway, storage room ect.

Check your local and state laws. A company that I used to work for put up cameras to catch thieves. Theives were caught and fired but the camera footage could not be used in court due to a warning not being posted. We had to post signs at each entrance stating that the premises was under electronic surveillance. If you put up cameras it also has to be in community areas and not areas where an expectation of privacy is the norm....i.e restrooms, private offices etc. There was even a legal issue of putting them in areas where the inside of office cubicles could be viewed.

Thanks Hoss, I don't know what Oregons law is on posting warning signs. If they go up I would have 3, one in reception covering the till display shelves and front door. One cover the back door which is used by staff to enter and exit work. One in a multi purpose room, serves as a office for my wife and myself, a lunch room and the staff room, where the staff hangs their coats and keeps their personal items; keys, purses bags ect.

Alan":3t1zv0mg said:
After 30+ years in the work force I found that the vast majority of employers are not honest to some extent.

Might want to edit this line. I don't think this is what you meant to say. Besides, Pelosi has that phrase copyrighted.

Jogeephus":aoy4o69l said:
Alan":aoy4o69l said:
After 30+ years in the work force I found that the vast majority of employers are not honest to some extent.

Might want to edit this line. I don't think this is what you meant to say. Besides, Pelosi has that phrase copyrighted.

:lol: :lol: :lol: oops! Well in my case that's probably true also. Yes it should have said employees.

I have a customer who has had great success with fake cameras that don't record anything in the obvious places and a few hidden real ones where nobody suspects them.
His paper towel bill went from over $60,000 a year to under $20,000 and he has yet to catch anyone steal paper towels with the hidden cameras. I quit getting kicked in that herd as well.
He asked me what I thought before he installed everything and I was kind of lukewarm on itbut I have to admit that it's been a positive thing. A few people have gotten raises for doing a good job when nobody was looking over their shoulder and a few snakes have been weeded out that nobody suspected and as far we can tell nobody knows they're on camera other than the dummy cameras...

Jogeephus":33t0j8ia said:
Why not stick both types in?

Agree. I've seen it go bad when you don't let people know they are being taped. It sours even good employees, and it will eventually get out. Plus you can't tape conversations secretly that your not appart of in all states that i know of. If your losing money, you need to revamp some procedures. There should be fail safes to prevent this or at least pinpoint who lost the money. From there the decisions are easy.

Lots of good ideas here. I like both the hidden and full view camera ideas.
Definately check the laws in your area first.

If you are considering cameras that does tell me you suspect a problem. Better to have the evidence if you have to fire someone..

Latest posts