need suggestions with calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I bought a calf at the sale barn as sort of a project. she weighs 135lbs so she isnt a real baby but she looks young enough to take a bottle. she is not eating grass or grain and she wont take a bottle. what should i do? keep trying the bottle? or just turn her out to pasture and let her figure out was grass is? she seems really afraid of me. any suggestions would be great.

How long ago did you buy her? Do you only have the one calf? If so, I don't believe I would turn her out by herself - especially if she is showing signs of being flighty, scared, or just nervous. She could very well go through your fences, and find herself some company.

What kind of grain are you giving her? What kind of hay? A little more information would be helpful. Thanks!

How long ago did you acquire her?You have no idea how old she is??? Is she drinking water?? Peeing and pooping okay??? Eating anything???? Do you know what breed she might be???
You might try milk replacer in a bucket.... Get her some calf starter.... Good hay too.

You can do two things, but first you need to confine the calf. Then you can see if it will bottle feed or you can use sweet feed and milk replacer and bunk feed it, but to calm it down be there when you feed so it will get use to you. Just remember sweet for a calf will work and then tailor it to a good diet. good luck :tiphat:

thanks for the suggestions. I have had her since wednesday and today I let her out with my other babies and she ate grain and a bottle .

Choo-Choo Ranch":phhxysc5 said:
thanks for the suggestions. I have had her since wednesday and today I let her out with my other babies and she ate grain and a bottle .

I hope she dont make the rest of em sick. Aint no tellin what they can get from that devilish sale barn.

Latest posts