Need suggestions for deer destroying fence

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
I have a couple of places in fence line that the deer are going through. It's 5 strand barn wire.. yearly we are fixing the fence. Does anyone have any suggestions?

One of the reasons I prefer hi-tensile smooth wire.Not saying I don't have any barbed wire fence, because I do.
My experience with deer leads me to want hi-tensile in deer crossing areas.I replaced a 12" stay field fence the deer had punched full of holes after it aged with 8 strands of smooth.Deer have yet to break a wire in 8-10 years and cattle have yet to get out through it. Just my .02
i f you don't want to change it out yet,you might add a strand of electric wire and train them with some pieces of aluminum foil wrapped around peanut butter. :idea: :hide:

JW IN VA":ugfvxnew said:
One of the reasons I prefer hi-tensile smooth wire.Not saying I don't have any barbed wire fence, because I do.
My experience with deer leads me to want hi-tensile in deer crossing areas.I replaced a 12" stay field fence the deer had punched full of holes after it aged with 8 strands of smooth.Deer have yet to break a wire in 8-10 years and cattle have yet to get out through it. Just my .02
i f you don't want to change it out yet,you might add a strand of electric wire and train them with some pieces of aluminum foil wrapped around peanut butter. :idea: :hide:

My Fence is hotter than the hinges on the gates of heII, during the rut they keep it shorted out.
I will take deer any day the hogs can tear up some fence.

JW IN VA":3s9fy9pu said:
I thought about the smooth wire replacement. On your 8 strands are any hot?

No I didn't make provisions for it and it is along a road.When one of my neighbors and I rebuilt half of our line fence,we used 8 strands but also fixed one of the middle wires where it could be charged when grazing both sides.Deer have knocked out a few staples or insulators but easy to fix that.Cattle stay at home.

I will take deer any day the hogs can tear up some fence.[/quote]

We don't have hogs,yet.Hope it never happens but they say it will eventually.Hopefully we're too far north.

Properly built HT net fence (fixed or square knot) is no match for a herd of deer. I've got white belly hair all over the top line of the job we're on now, and none of it is even tied to the posts yet.

I have one area with barbed wire that kept getting twisted up by deer. I finally took an old spring from a garage door (about 2' long) and wired it in the fence stretching it tight enough to hold the wire real good. There was a Wal-Mart plastic bag in the ditch, so I wrapped it on the wire. It has worked in that area!

Farm Fence Solutions":1hqcmlp6 said:
Properly built HT net fence (fixed or square knot) is no match for a herd of deer. I've got white belly hair all over the top line of the job we're on now, and none of it is even tied to the posts yet.

Keyword is properly built. My road is fenced on both sides for 3/8 mile 25 foot between the fences. 10 barbs. Deer run up the road when we leave and get boxed in. They hit the fence so hard it knocks em down. Never hurts the fence. Smooth wire does absolutely nothing to help and electric just gives plastic insulators to break. A good tight fence will stand most deer traffic.
D2Cat":1hqcmlp6 said:
I have one area with barbed wire that kept getting twisted up by deer. I finally took an old spring from a garage door (about 2' long) and wired it in the fence stretching it tight enough to hold the wire real good. There was a Wal-Mart plastic bag in the ditch, so I wrapped it on the wire. It has worked in that area!

Old woman who neighbors a place I lease puts close pins on the top wire about every 18 " to make it more visible. I believe it probably helps.

I

callmefence":31n61iom said:
Farm Fence Solutions":31n61iom said:

Keyword is properly built. My road is fenced on both sides for 3/8 mile 25 foot between the fences. 10 barbs. Deer run up the road when we leave and get boxed in. They hit the fence so hard it knocks em down. Never hurts the fence. Smooth wire does absolutely nothing to help and electric just gives plastic insulators to break. A good tight fence will stand most deer traffic.
D2Cat":31n61iom said:

Old woman who neighbors a place I lease puts close pins on the top wire about every 18 " to make it more visible. I believe it probably helps.

I

Amen.

Latest posts