Need some temporary corral ideas

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on what to use to put up a temporary corral area without pounding posts to brace panels (live in Mn here and the ground is frozen). I will be using 16' cattle panels for a run of about 25 yards. Just need the one run as I will be cutting a permanent corral in two and will be taking it down in a couple of months.

Just an idea to start with. Don't know how much work you want to put into it or how much pressure the fence needs to take.

If you zig zag as vette suggested, overlap them a foot or two. Sort of in a T. It will add a lot of strength. You can wire anything for a rail across the outside.

1982vett":3kzucorp said:
Could do a split rail fence. :???:

I was implying T-posts, angle iron, stays or anything similar across the V in your diagram. Calves won't push them much. Cows will move them significantly.

I set mine up with 6 bails of hay, 2 trailers, and will put in 2 wooden posts if I set it up along a good fence. I can set it up in a few hours most of the time. My cows are on the calmer side or I would need to use more stuff.

Wondering if it wouldn't be easier (more expensive) to use some 10 or 12 foot corral panels instead of trying to beef up cattle panels. I know in my situation I could always find a new use for the corral panels (cattle panels to for that matter) after their temporary use was over. Gates would work too if you had a use for them after.

The split rail was really supposed to be a joke. ;-)

1982vett":2o0ti5le said:
Just an idea to start with. Don't know how much work you want to put into it or how much pressure the fence needs to take.

Thanks so much all for you replies, vett, this idea of yours is what I'm looking for. Did I miss the dimensions on the vertical and horizontal lumber? I see the angled one. I want to go cheap as this thing is temporary and I want to go easy as this old bat doesn't want to work too hard :nod:

Thanks for the diagram too, if you would have written that explanation I would still be trying to figure it out! :shock:

Use your judgement on the braces. I tried to say 5 foot tall (52 inch cattle panel) and 5 foot out on the ground. Maybe 7 foot on the ground would give more stablilty. BHB's idea on bracing the corners should help keep things from getting pushed around too. Maybe an electric wire strung on the inside might do the trick also if conditions allow.

My neighbor before we moved back to the farm always had a bunch of junk cars and old trucks and trailers even had a couple of old bass boats seen him use all that junk to make temporary corral even had a alley made out of them.

Red Bull Breeder":1k5z19mk said:
My neighbor before we moved back to the farm always had a bunch of junk cars and old trucks and trailers even had a couple of old bass boats seen him use all that junk to make temporary corral even had a alley made out of them.
On one place I rent I use my truck and trailer for a wing fence at a gate when penning cattle. Sometimes you just don't fix what isn't broke. :lol2:

This probably isn't going to help you much, but here are some pictures of my portable corral.

jan_3_08_Harris_home_cattle_025.jpg

jan_3_08_Harris_home_cattle_023.jpg

jan_3_08_Harris_home_cattle_014.jpg

As you can see, it is chained together. We bolted legs to each gate so they won't freeze to the ground. If a leg gets broken, we can just bolt another 2x4 in place. I made several T's that I place where needed to stabilize the sides. Three pipe frames and four gates make up the alley to the squeeze chute. Some short gates form a tub. We have a sawmill, and the lumber was some low grade we had accumulated.

Used some round bales a few years ago. Was not good hay and just left them stacked out in front of the barn. Third year the cattle started eating them and ate the corral.

ERNIBIGB":3c7o24y1 said:
Used some round bales a few years ago. Was not good hay and just left them stacked out in front of the barn. Third year the cattle started eating them and ate the corral.

That's what I'm thinking. Lean the panels against them and secure the tops with some pins made from #9.

ERNIBIGB":s6taifjf said:

I think they were trying to tell you they wanted better corral or they unionized and ate the corral hoping to not have to be "worked".

As long as you got something that was cheap and that will work. I just hop I didn't get the redneck stuff flowing to bad…

Latest posts