Need some input on website content

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
I am working on a website for the farm
I have someone that is going to gussy it up for me(phrasing and grammar)
But she doesn't have a cattle background to make sure the content is consise and clear.

If you have a few (many) minutes I'd love some input from people here.
Its too long-- so if you see something that can be left out .....
Or if something doesn't make sense the way I wrote it..........
or anything else..........

Thanks in advance

Offsite preconditioning of calves saves feedlots and backgrounders money,facilities and labor. And 4-6 weeks later they take delivery of a processed;commingled,bunk broke,fence broke,conditioned
group with minimal health issues ready to eat and gain.

One type of customer(feedlots and backgrounders) has buyers buy 5-9wts calves at local auctions..The buyers buy from several area sales- and generally can put together a load in 7-14 days.
The advantages are that the customers don't have to buy a whole load at a time to get the trailer full. So they can pick or choose more- either to just buy the quality animals or buy the calves that meet a certain price limit or pick up a specific type that a single sale might not have enough of..
Calves bought locally are delivered the night of the sale with a short ride-minimizing stress compared to a long haul with empty bellies and strange companions..
Also the southeast has a year round supply of calves that traditionally run $10-$20/cwt less than the rest of the country.
And cheaper bulls can be bought without having to worry about co mingling and cutting them and the extra health issues involved.

Backgrounders get a group that is easier to handle on pastures-they are healthy; weaned and commingled; ,pen broke;bunk broke; fence broke, dog , horse and four wheeler broke,so they can take advantage of grass or wheat pastures without a lot of extra labor, esp skilled labor or really tight fences. So when they are delivered they can be turned right out to pasture avoiding having to pen them and buying expensive starter feed for them or having to deal with catching a lot of sick calves or worrying about coming up with time to deal with train wrecks.

Also all the problem cattle can be eliminated from the load so only the cream of the crop is delivered-saving money on headaches and shipping costs. .We can remove the nut cases and the sweets that agitate the whole load. Any calves with unsurmountable health issues are also weeded out(one way or the other). And the failure to thrive calves can be weeded out..Weeded out calves can be resold locally after the withdrawal period is up.
Though we haven't had a customer wanting to yet- we could easily test and remove all the persistently effected BVD calves- so that your place never gets contaminated.

Other customers are trying to take advantage of selling their homegrown calves thru a preconditioned program. But don't have the extra pasture,facilities or time. We do all the work and we can feed and medicate calves cheaper and better than most individuals can. Also several different owners can get together and group their cattle with us to sell as a full load.

Other cow/calf customers have had a bad year and the calves only grew frame. We can feed their calves easier and cheaper to put the bloom on them before they go to marketing they get the advantage of being able to market them as preconditioned.

We also have grown out heifers for dairies and seedstock operations. This Saves them from having to keep pastures tied up and solid fences to keep them from being bred.
Our feed is very bulky and developers rumen capacity- and doesn't over fatten growing animals. Also our feed is high in quality fats- which studies have shown to improve reproduction rates.

==========================================================

After delivery The calves are kept over night in a specialized receiving barn with feed and water. The next day we will process the calves to the owners requirements.
Then They are turned out to pasture. Each pasture has a feed pen where we feed a TMR specifically formulated to be nutrient rich and palatable- yet safe to be fed free choice to incoming cattle. We also give the calves heavy supplementation of minerals and vitamins-to make up for shortages.

The pastures usually have enough grass for them to pick on till they get broke to eat at the bunks. After the first week the TMR is so palatable that they quit eating the grass for the most part so there is the extra benefit of having fescue toxicity flushed from their systems before they are shipped again..

With calves that are not commingled having the extra room of a pasture helps to settle them till they learn to accept each other. Also health is improved because they are not on top of each other and the bulls being fresh cut have a clean place to lie down.
Each pasture has a woodlot that is critical in the summer and much healthier than a barn for shade.

We manage the calves with the goal of reducing stress, maximizing feed intake, and conditioning them to relax in their new environment.
They are brought up to the pen twice a day till they are broke to being comfortable in the pen and eating. Then they are put up once a day and checked for health issues. We use Border Collies as our hired hands- but only the very best are used that can take control and at the same time relax the stock.
With the dogs and our setup we can identify animals with even a minor attitude change- the very first indicator of them getting sick- so we can pull most calves before they are even showing active signs of being sick or going off feed . Minimizing long term damage and minimizing weight loss..

I have the pens designed so that I don't have to fight the calves natural instincts to be with the others(which by then the dogs have well established) when cutting them out to be doctored. We pen all the healthy calves and cut back the sick ones leaving them standing in the pastures. Then I can open a gate right next to the penned cattle and bring the sick ones thru heading to the barn before they even know that something is going to happen.
It also leaves the rest of the cattle completely undisturbed in the pen which is very important – I want the feed pen to be a very comfortable,relaxing, safe place for them to be.
Rarely do I have to go into the pen to sort calves-

The older dogs have learned the pattern so well that they decide on their own sometimes which calves are sick and leave them behind on their own- Every time that I second guess the dogs I have regretted it- and pulled the calf in worse shape the next day.
We return most calves back to the pastures after doctoring with a long acting antibiotic- they are marked and watched closely.
With our setup- its easy to repull them even if they "learned the routine" - rarely do I have to stress calves much to get them doctored.
We think it works better than turning them into the hospital pasture unless they really need to be there .

Our local salebarn manager (and master cattleman) designed and built our working barn- Its simple but cattle flow thru easily - whether they want to or not.

Obviously the better quality calves bought will generally do better. And weather conditions impact performance.
but over the years we count on

Expected Average weight gain for the first 4 wks is 1lb/day gain
Eight weeks average is 2lbs/day gain

Deathloss runs 0-8% the average is less than 2%
Morbidity runs 9-35% average is less than 20%
Repulls runs 0-33% average less than 14%
Realizers runs 0-5% the average is less than 1%

We take most of the work out of putting a load together, and minimize potential losses.

We have been in the preconditioning business for 20yrs and still do business with our original customer.

Offsite preconditioning of calves saves feedlots and backgrounders money, facilities and labor. 4 - 6 wks later they take delivery of a processed; commingled, bunk broke, fence broke, conditioned group with minimal health issues ready to eat and gain.

Sale barn calves that have been thru a preconditioning period will even outperform preconditioned homegrown calves.

Howdyjabo

I had a few minutes and above are some things that I noticed -
I've tried to identify them with bold text
also - you have some spacing issues - either no space between words or too many spaces.

don't know about anyone else but this last sentence doesn't make sense to me - it seems to contradict itself - if you are preconditioning calves I wouldn't mention other people doing the same.

hope this helps
mdmdogs3

Thanks---
I'm leaving the spacing issues for my pro to fix :)
Plus shes gonna cut it up with pictures and different sections.
I'm just supposed to give her the content to use.

You are right about the last sentence-- -- its GONE
I edited the original post to make the changes you suggested

Too many words.

Break it up into categories; 2 categories are how you benefit your customers. Your customers are people supplying the calves, and people buying the calves.

Put the history of your operation in another category for your customers to read after you got their attention of how you can benefit them.

Put your methods of operation in another category.

Sites that grab my attention are ones that say up front in a glance that they can provide what I'm looking for. That tells me it's worth looking into a site more. With too much information on the home page I'm inclined to brush over it and not see it has what I'm looking for.

Very difficult to edit one's website in absentia...lol.

For an example, go to our website and see how we have categorized things, paragraph length, photo placement, etc. That may help you (or not). We tweak and update "errors", photos, etc., every week or two.

Keep this in mind: Be concise, to the point, use 10 or 12 point type face for "content" parts of your web pages. Use 14 to 18 point size for your titles, headings, etc., and italics/bold as needed. Judicious use of color helps. Avoid using very many capital letters.

Paragraphs should have a "topic sentence", and probably not longer than 100 to 200 words. Lengthy paragraphs (more than 10 to 15 sentences) are very difficult to read and reader's lose interest rapidly.

Use short sentences for impact. Use spell checker (if keyboard person can't spell)---misspelled words are a no-no.

If it's not the truth, don't say it.

Use YOUR own pictures. If you use another's pictures, give them proper credit near the photo. If you can't put a quality picture on you website, leave it off---pictures sell or discourage sales.

Think of a website as a "term paper" or advertisement. Prepare an outline of your topics, content and follow it.

Avoid some of those heavy colored "skins" (backgrounds) that are often supplied by the free sites. Don't use similar primary colors for both words and backgrounds (e.g., red type on black background or light colored type).

UPDATE your photos and content as things change: Nothing is more "sophomoric" than a website that is months or years out-of-date. (Quite a few of those are out there, you know). On your "Home" page, put the latest update "date" on it so people will know if your information is current or not.

VERY FEW people (of any educational level) have the ability to "write" a finished work the first time!

Do a rough draft and edit! The best things are re_written!

Good luck!

I see at least three different pages.

Intro Who you are and short history
Management and goals
Our customers

The more good pictures the better and use them to accent and break up paragraph and pages..Z

A picture of that handling facility would help a lot.
You bounce back and forth between talking to your buyers and to the sellers. Segregate one page to buyers and one to seller (suppliers) .
Sounds like you are on to something. That could be good business.
A pic is worth 1000 words.
Good luck to you.

john250 said:
A picture of that handling facility would help a lot.

Ha-- you just want to be able to copy it :)
But its gonna be in there

I'm not gonna take pictures of the pens to put in there till it dries up alittle this spring --- I'd like to leave it to the imagination how much mud and slop is around during the winter.

Thanks for all the input--- I haven't heard anything like
"Thats sounds stupid" or "sounds like a place i'd never want my cattle to come from or send to".
And nobody is asking me to explain anything better-so I must have gotten it across fairly clearly(if not in perfect order).
By the way- If anyones thinking those things I'd like to hear it even if it hurts my feelings some :(

I still think its too much information
What can I cut out- and still have most cattlemen/women understand it. I could cut out 75% and I'd understand it-but then its mine.

so unless I hear back something different--- I'm gonna leave the content pretty much alone
And work on prettying it up-- which supposedly my friend is real good at-- I've seen some other web pages she set up and they look pretty good.

Thanks again.......

anybody want to read the dog pages..... or is that just pushing my luck.

Latest posts