Need some help!

Help Support CattleToday:

showmomof2

Reaction score
My son just bought a bull calf recently that is "green" broke. He has been trying to get him ready for our fair and the bull was doing well. He's calm, has been washed and clipped on with no problems. The problem is that he has just learned how to quickly duck his head and gets loose. Any one know how to stop this? The calf is a 7 month old simi and my son is a pretty stout 15 yr old.

Husbands picking one up tomorrow. My son also lead him around with the show halter tonight and had a little more control over him, so between the 2 I think he will be able to control him. Funny thing is we had a rope halter on him over the show halter just in case. Son was leading him to his feed and the bull tried to get away from him. I was on the other end of the rope halter. As he get away from my son, I spun him around and next thing, bull was on the ground. You just had to be there. Any way, we tried it again with better results!

Put a ring in and be done with it. When u lead him around the house with a rope halter, loop the lead through the ring and when he tries to duck he will get the picture real quick.

Keep his head up.
Nose rings are 'emergency brakes' only- don't use them as just a matter of course.
I always break bulls without a nose ring or clamp.

Killala":30rgou2r said:
Keep his head up.
Nose rings are 'emergency brakes' only- don't use them as just a matter of course.

Yeah I don't like using the nose until we get down to perfecting the leading and squaring up etc.

Killala":1y70a5j4 said:
Keep his head up.

Absolutely!

Don't touch the nosering for atleast 3 weeks after putting it in, except for turning it every now and then to keep it from getting stuck.

The bull needs more time being tied up, vary it by tie-ing up short and high for some time and then giving him slack, do it daily for 10 days and you won't believe the difference it will make, keep him tied up for as long as possible at a time.

showmomof2":3ugltlpw said:
Husbands picking one up tomorrow. My son also lead him around with the show halter tonight and had a little more control over him, so between the 2 I think he will be able to control him. Funny thing is we had a rope halter on him over the show halter just in case. Son was leading him to his feed and the bull tried to get away from him. I was on the other end of the rope halter. As he get away from my son, I spun him around and next thing, bull was on the ground. You just had to be there. Any way, we tried it again with better results!

Once he was on the ground if you would have sat on his head and not let him up he probably wouldn't do it again. At least that has been my experience.

Well-we got them to the fair today and the bull calf is acting alot better. We got the temporary ring to use "just in case".My son really hasn't had to use it yet. He does everything else perfect. My son clipped on him tonight and said he was the easiest calf he has ever clipped. We still have alot of work to do but my son is feeling alot better about him now.