Need some help

Help Support CattleToday:

chadreed88

Reaction score
I'm new to the cattle business and have some questions. I would like to learn more about how and what needs to be done to cattle on a regular basis (such as worming) to keep them healthy. What medications should be kept around for them on normal problems and what are some things to watch out for in cattle. Is there a website that has information to learn things from or do you pretty much just have to learn it in the field? Want to learn how to keep from calling a vet everytime something happens and then also how to keep them in great shape

As a beginner myself I think three important things about keeping the herd healthy are:

1) start with healthy animals from a known preferably local source that will stand behind them;
2) establish a preventative medicine program = regular vet visits when they are not sick. Depending on your setup, you can sometimes treat the whole (small) herd with shots etc quicker than a vet visit for one sick animal. The cost per animal per year is very low compared to waiting for something serious.
3) have a good mineral program. Trace elements work wonders sometimes at maintaining health.

I would find a good experienced large animal vet in your local area and ask him what he suggests. jmho. Good luck.

I think you found the best website for info. I would consult the vet for a good local vaccine/worming program.

chadreed88":1njaxjpf said:
I'm new to the cattle business and have some questions. I would like to learn more about how and what needs to be done to cattle on a regular basis (such as worming) to keep them healthy. What medications should be kept around for them on normal problems and what are some things to watch out for in cattle. Is there a website that has information to learn things from or do you pretty much just have to learn it in the field? Want to learn how to keep from calling a vet everytime something happens and then also how to keep them in great shape

Well, we vaccinated with Bovishield Gold, Scourguarded the Moms, wormed 2 times per year with either Cydectin or Ivomec, and we warbexed 1 time per year. We made sure their nutritional needs were met, kept a good loose mineral formulated for our area out and mixed it with salt at the rate of 1 bag of mineral to 1/2 of a bag of salt. This was available year round free choice. Medication wise - we always had Baytril on hand, as well as long acting Penicillin, Terramycin scour tablets, and usually Sulfa boluses. Whether these vaccines/medications will work for you is going to depend on your area, whether you run an open or closed herd, where you got your animals from, and what you are at risk for. You need to talk to your vet and develop a comprehensive vaccination plan for your area. As far as illness goes - I am not aware of any one website that will cover all of the illnesses/disease that cattle can get. Start a notebook, and when you see something that relates to cattle, google it and then decide if it's worth printing out and putting in your notebook. I would also suggest that you spend as much time with your cattle as you can. That way you will know what they look/act like when they are healthy and can spot one who is 'off' that much quicker. The key to successfully treating sick cattle is to catch it as quick as possible. The things we ran into the most were pneumonia in weaning calves, and scours due to snow/rain storms. I believe Texas tends to be on the wet side, so I would also learn about foot rot and how to prevent it. Flies have the potential of being another major issue, and can cause havoc with regard to pinkeye, so research how to control them. You might want to consider subscribing to publications such as Cow/Calf Weekly, Western Livestock Journal, or The High Plains Journal - I'm sure there are others, I just don't know what they are. They have a lot of informative articles about cattle, and the cattle industry. I hope this helps.

You can do a search on here (search option in the blue bar where you log in) and learn just about anything you want to know (and some you wish you didn't) on a wide variety of topics. It gives you the chance to see what others do and determine what works best for your situation.

SRBeef":1yp73gck said:
As a beginner myself I think three important things about keeping the herd healthy are:

1) start with healthy animals from a known preferably local source that will stand behind them;
2) establish a preventative medicine program = regular vet visits when they are not sick. Depending on your setup, you can sometimes treat the whole (small) herd with shots etc quicker than a vet visit for one sick animal. The cost per animal per year is very low compared to waiting for something serious.
3) have a good mineral program. Trace elements work wonders sometimes at maintaining health.

I would find a good experienced large animal vet in your local area and ask him what he suggests. jmho. Good luck.
I think SR gives some really good advice here. The key is preventative medicine.

TNMasterBeefProducer":2l4emnco said:
Purchase storeys guide to raising beef cattle, purchase keeping livestock healthy, purchase merck veterinary manual to keep with you. Also, you can use http://www.merckvetmanual.com for questions in regards to disease as well. Different areas require different vaccinations. I would definitely do what Knersie suggested and check with your vet to see what is needed in your area.

And just to add to the list, chadreed, if you want to get down to the real "intimate" detail of raising cattle, get yourself a copy of Beef Cattle Science 7th ed. by Ensminger. I've been reading that book from cover to cover and boy is ever a good book to have.

Im fairly sure the TAMU has a book serious that covers the ewhole gambit of raising cattle. The MO Extension service has one and I expect all of the states landmark univeristy extension servbices have the same type of thing

Latest posts