need some help...possible ear infection?

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Alright so today I was checking my heifers and noticed one acting a little weird. She was a little aggressive as in lowering her head and ramming the others(which they usually do just today it was more often and harder) shaking her head side to side running around the field while jumping and kicking. I didn't think anything about any of this until she chased me out of the field. None of them has ever done anything like this. So does anyone have any guesses? I may just be worrying too much but after reading a post about an inner ear infection she had some of those symptoms. What do yall think? Btw they are not due to come in heat again for another week and a half so i don't think it was that. No noticeable loss of appetite. She vacuumed the feed down just like the rest.

Are you sure she is actually sick? Or maybe just in a nasty mood?
I would suggest standing outside the fence and watching her for a while to see if there is any lethargic /droopy, or unusual type behaviour. If you think she might really be sick, possibly get someone to help you run her in and restrain her and take her temp. and see if it is normal.
If she is running and kicking up her heels and "feeling her oats" she probably is okay.
If she was just in a nasty mood shaking her head getting ready to charge and challenging your "position in the pecking order" expect her to try to put the run on you again, since she "won" the last time. In that case a good smack on the snout with a sturdy stick might be in order if she tries to chase you again.
Remember she out weighs you by quite a bit,and if she decides to be nasty it isn't a game.

Thanks for replying. She could be fine i just know she was acting a little different than usuall. I may have to take a bucket or a walking stick with me and remind her im not one of the cows if she does it again. She is the dominant heifer in the field so she may have been challenging me.

I suspect she was challenging you. Sometimes they act stupid and bellow and carry on, trying to prove to the others they are "top dog". Many times they are bluffing and throwing out your arms and yelling at them will often stop the nonsense, but be careful because they just might not be bluffing and then they need a good whack to remind them you are not their toy to be pushed around and stomped on.
With that said, I would watch her, don't know if you have mites or ticks that might crawl in the ears and bother them or not, but it is something to consider.

It's way too cold for ticks but maybe some kind of mites? But I slapped her with some gloves when she was nudging my bucket of tools but that only fased her for a min or too. She will learn pretty quick if she keeps that up though lol

Nite Hawk":3kfjpdyy said:
I suspect she was challenging you. Sometimes they act stupid and bellow and carry on, trying to prove to the others they are "top dog". Many times they are bluffing and throwing out your arms and yelling at them will often stop the nonsense, but be careful because they just might not be bluffing and then they need a good whack to remind them you are not their toy to be pushed around and stomped on.

From what j&lfarms originally posted,I would say this is the case. My first thought was that this heifer was just getting all rowdy and showing off and getting all pissy.

I would be surprised if there were anything wrong with her ear.

Katherine