Need some help on F-250

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Monday night started to the mens business meeting at church drove the truck approx 2 miles on the county road hit the paved FM after about a 1/2 mile started getting a bad vibration in the steering wheel.
Felt like is was a U joint or carrier bearing being that the truck has 100,000 miles on it I changed the carrier and U joints vibration has now moved to the floorboard, worse on passenger side. Trucks has new tires which I had rebalanced pulled the brake rotors all are true. Truck shifts smooth but this vibration is running me nuts, I know this a short trip for me and my OCD self.
I have stared at this thing so long I am blind, I am tired of wollering in fire ants as my shop is full of Massey 135 that I need to finish.
Any help ideas would be appreciated.

try getting it out on the pavement and when the vibration starts turn the steering wheel slightly each direction and see if it changes any it could be a wheel bearing had one going out a few months ago and me and the mechanic swore it was on the passenger side checked and couldn't find anything drove it about 2 miles and the drivers side wheel bearing went to squealing

I would also have the tires checked again just in case a weight came of or one slipped a belt been known to happen even on fairly new tires

Hate these little things. If you've eliminated the U-joints and carrier bearing try in this order rear motor (transmission) mount, wheel bearings, pulleys and idlers on front of engine, and if it's an automatic, the flex plate connection to the torque convertor.

Good luck.

Did you check for a warped rotor, I'm assuming it has disk brakes.

Well I have put four new tires, turned the rotors, new carrier and u joints.
Sent the drive shaft to Beaumont this morning to have alignment and balance checked.
If it is not this, I am thinking it has to be the tranny and it was just rebuilt last year.
The thing that keeps steering me back to driveshaft is you can drive the truck take it up to 60 or so put in neutral kill the engine and coast down and the vibration is still there, you take the torque converter out of the picture as it is not turning with a dead engine and in nuetral. If I am thinking right.
Well time to start putting the MF 135 back together anyway finally got my roller bearing in from Dallas.
Can't do anything with the truck until the drive shaft gets back.

Could be in your ring and pinion, or transfer case if it's 4wd. My bet would be a wheel bearing, though. If you have a flange on your transmission/transfer case output shafts, start the truck and put in drive without the shafts. If you do that I'd kill the motor while it's drive, though. Shoving it back in park could be costly.

Caustic Burno":3jm1j9xf said:
Well I have put four new tires, turned the rotors, new carrier and u joints.
Sent the drive shaft to Beaumont this morning to have alignment and balance checked.
If it is not this, I am thinking it has to be the tranny and it was just rebuilt last year.
The thing that keeps steering me back to driveshaft is you can drive the truck take it up to 60 or so put in neutral kill the engine and coast down and the vibration is still there, you take the torque converter out of the picture as it is not turning with a dead engine and in nuetral. If I am thinking right.
Well time to start putting the MF 135 back together anyway finally got my roller bearing in from Dallas.
Can't do anything with the truck until the drive shaft gets back.

Yep, you're right, CB. Has to be something associated with the drive line and not the engine. Engine off and the torque convertor is not turning.

I replaced the U-joints on my Suburban once and still had all the symptoms. Turns out the drive shaft needed to be balanced after replacing the joints. Been doing that kind of work myself for forty years and never had to balance a shaft after replacing the U-joints. Anyway, when I got the drive shaft back the vehicle ran as smooth as it always did. Maybe you're on to something there. I just didn't think Ford would do something like that.

CB.you need to get out your uncle henry pocket knife and crawl under there and cut all that old baler string off thats wrapped around the drive shaft. :lol: :lol:

Years ago I went through about the same thing as you are except it was a 1/2 ton chevy.When I spent all the money trying to find it it wound up being a bent wheel. Might be worth checking.

Good luck Cal

Caustic Burno":18jq49qu said:
Monday night started to the mens business meeting at church drove the truck approx 2 miles on the county road hit the paved FM after about a 1/2 mile started getting a bad vibration in the steering wheel.
Felt like is was a U joint or carrier bearing being that the truck has 100,000 miles on it I changed the carrier and U joints vibration has now moved to the floorboard, worse on passenger side. Trucks has new tires which I had rebalanced pulled the brake rotors all are true. Truck shifts smooth but this vibration is running me nuts, I know this a short trip for me and my OCD self.
I have stared at this thing so long I am blind, I am tired of wollering in fire ants as my shop is full of Massey 135 that I need to finish.
Any help ideas would be appreciated.

I've got something similar. Pretty sure its a wheel bearing. :cowboy:

Red Bull Breeder":2fluddrf said:
CB did you get the drive shafts lined up right when you put it back together?

Yes I marked them I have been to that rodeo before, that will teach you to mark shafts after one lesson.
I should know something this morning when I go get the shaft, now if that shaft is ok I am going to have that cow staring at a new gate look.

If all else fails put it up on a rack with the wheels off the ground. Put it in gear run up the speed. Feel for vibration and observe from underneath. That would isolate the front end from the drive train.
I have had that happen before and found the new carrier bearing was bad.
Good luck

I recently had something similar. Vibration "felt like" it was coming from the passenger side but I could also feel something in the gas pedal but was not really noticeable until I reached a higher speed. Also, tach showed engine was straining more than it should at higher speeds. Turned out the seal at the transfer case had gone bad. Fixing it when I did saved me from buying a new transmission.

I had one that would turn to a high pitched whine at about 55 and the gas pedal would vibrate. Friend of mine happened to be a dealer and I took it in and had him go for a ride. When it started the whine he started laughing. Had me pull over, he crawled underneath then hopped back in and the problem was gone. Turned out the shield over the catalytic converter had bent up and was just a hair from the converter. At the right speed it would vibrate enough to contact the converter.
I'm sure this isn;t the case but it illustrates how something dinky can cause strange problems.

dun":1ynot8dd said:
I had one that would turn to a high pitched whine at about 55 and the gas pedal would vibrate. Friend of mine happened to be a dealer and I took it in and had him go for a ride. When it started the whine he started laughing. Had me pull over, he crawled underneath then hopped back in and the problem was gone. Turned out the shield over the catalytic converter had bent up and was just a hair from the converter. At the right speed it would vibrate enough to contact the converter.
I'm sure this isn;t the case but it illustrates how something dinky can cause strange problems.

Had the exact same thing happen on an '81 F150, pretty annoying til you find out what it is.

If you really feel its the drive shaft take it out put it in 4wd and run it.That should answer that ? .Also iv'e found that if the vibration its in the steering wheel its the front end if you feel it in your butt its the back

It was the driveshaft smooth as can be so far. I am not working on a dang thing today after yesterdays rodeo. Spent most of the day playing cowboy working on the truck and I didn't get the Massey finished.
Neighbors cows got out the bulls fought down fifty yards of fence both herds got comingled. Took half a day to get the herds seperated and his to the house through the woods, I would have never got this done without old Rube. Fence and truck repaired all that is left is the tractor and I am taking today off, it will just have to wait until Monday.

Caustic Burno":1xb2qdeq said:
It was the driveshaft smooth as can be so far. I am not working on a dang thing today after yesterdays rodeo. Spent most of the day playing cowboy working on the truck and I didn't get the Massey finished.
Neighbors cows got out the bulls fought down fifty yards of fence both herds got comingled. Took half a day to get the herds seperated and his to the house through the woods, I would have never got this done without old Rube. Fence and truck repaired all that is left is the tractor and I am taking today off, it will just have to wait until Monday.

Sounds like the thing to do.
Take old Rube and stir up a tree rat. :clap: :clap:

Cal

Latest posts