Need some help on .38 rounds

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My 74 yr old mother recently bought a .38 handgun and had a crimson trace put on it, it's hammer less, I don't know the make. Bigger problems for me to worry about. She had never fired a gun in her life until a month ago, she also went out a got her concealed carry permit so I know she's serious, Dad's starting to fail a bit and she wants protection.

Here the problem, she bought the .38 without talking to anyone but dad. It simply has too much kick for her. I'm helping her with some newbie basics like keep your finger off the trigger, don't point that/this way. :shock: She is set on the .38, they have the "we already spent the money it will do" frame of mind. She's brought it to our place just a few times to shoot and I can tell she is starting to flinch anticipating the kick.

Finally to my question, what would be a lighter load to get her so the gun has less kick? In anticipation to a response, I could buy her a smaller caliber handgun, but knowing my mom it would just set in their gun safe she already has a perfectly good gun :roll: ...... Their gun safe holds two handguns and papers and memories, pictures. So it's not at all used for guns.

Thanks,
Alan

Find you some light target ammo for her to practice with. I am not sure you could find any 125 grain but this would be good. Stay away from any HD loads, as they are usually pretty hot. If you handload or know any one that does they can load you up some light loads. I used to load a 158 gr swc lead bullet to 700 fps. This was not much stouter than a 22lr.

hillbilly beef man":32w983m5 said:
Find you some light target ammo for her to practice with. I am not sure you could find any 125 grain but this would be good. Stay away from any HD loads, as they are usually pretty hot. If you handload or know any one that does they can load you up some light loads. I used to load a 158 gr swc lead bullet to 700 fps. This was not much stouter than a 22lr.
What he said!
I've got a S&W 640 and it is a stinger with anything serious.

one of the best things you can do for her is get some grips that fit her hand so the gun feels natural while holding it.

Thanks for the good suggestions, I'll do my best to find that 158 gr load, may be a challenge with empty ammo shelves but I'm determined to find something. Thanks M5, althought she has the crisom trace grip on it and she is very dependent on that little red dot.

Alan":8ylfrisp said:
Thanks for the good suggestions, I'll do my best to find that 158 gr load, may be a challenge with empty ammo shelves but I'm determined to find something. Thanks M5, althought she has the crisom trace grip on it and she is very dependent on that little red dot.

I believe the CT grips had different grips/sizes. I know that I can not shoot my little 38 with regular grips and when my mom shot it with the Pachmayr grips she fell in love with it.

You might try to might some 148 gr full wad cutter loads, they're target loads but do punch an interesting hole in things. If you have a shooting range around you might find someone that will be willing to make up some loads for you.

What about practice rounds that don't have any powder? I'm sure someone knows what they are actually called. We used them as a form round on the 357. It was a 38 super round and looked just like a bullet except for the color (purple round). My brother's wife would pull the trigger a few times to get used to the click of the hammer dropping and nothing happening and we would put a live shell in there so she wouldn't know. When it would go off, she would flinch but she would be accurate. Taught her how to shoot and not flinch.

Booneville":8qolu45l said:
What about practice rounds that don't have any powder? I'm sure someone knows what they are actually called. We used them as a form round on the 357. It was a 38 super round and looked just like a bullet except for the color (purple round). My brother's wife would pull the trigger a few times to get used to the click of the hammer dropping and nothing happening and we would put a live shell in there so she wouldn't know. When it would go off, she would flinch but she would be accurate. Taught her how to shoot and not flinch.
Thise would be dummy rounds.
Back in the gunshop owning days, I had a customer that reloaded a bunch very similar. No powder but used a live primer. It was a real joy clearing a revolver having a bullet wedged in the end of the cylinder and the forcing cone with the cylinder full of those things.

dun":2fgm5hmd said:
Booneville":2fgm5hmd said:
Thise would be dummy rounds.
Back in the gunshop owning days, I had a customer that reloaded a bunch very similar. No powder but used a live primer. It was a real joy clearing a revolver having a bullet wedged in the end of the cylinder and the forcing cone with the cylinder full of those things.

Thank you Dun, It was just a thought. figured if there was no pop, it would get them used to the hammer or click of the gun without damaging the gun.

Load empty casings with just a fresh primer and resized casing. A revolver she likely won't visually see the difference

Latest posts