need some guidance in my continued research THANKS!

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm in northeast alabama about 5mins from talladega but i went looking today, i guess it was my mistake they didnt understand my question but i found a feed store that will sell me feed at $10 per 100 lbs in something called a bulk feed bag the bag holds about 2200lbs

AAcattle":d3c8vvpa said:
I'm in northeast alabama about 5mins from talladega but i went looking today, i guess it was my mistake they didnt understand my question but i found a feed store that will sell me feed at $10 per 100 lbs in something called a bulk feed bag the bag holds about 2200lbs
But what is in it?

the guy says its 15% protein mix of 50% corn, alfalfa, soybean hull, & peanut hull. it looks good but is that a good mix? if not what should i feed them?

I have no experience of peanut hull or how good it is but corn, alfalfa, and soybean hulls are good. Im feeding a 15% mixture of 50% corn gluten and 50% soybean hulls

My stocker operation works similar to the one guru uses. I try to buy at about six months of age that weigh about 500 pounds. the guy i purchase them from takes care of all the health problems such a vaccinations, worming and ect. I keep them on pasture with salt blocks and minerals from the middle of march until the middle of october. you have to remember that your grass has to be good. Your soil condition, type of grass, fertility and very important amount the amount of rainfall must be good. If everything works out good you can make a profit.

If everything works out good you can make a profit.

Another important factor to making a profit, one that can potentially overwhelm all of the other factors combined, is what happens to the price of stocker/feeders between the time when you buy the calves and when you sell 'em.

Bought 86 holstein steers in Oct '05. Feed was cheaper and cows were high. I didn't see the market collapse that would unfold over the next few months.....there was no reason to or so I thought. Even though I did most everything right I still got clobbered. :frowns:

AAcattle":2fp7301k said:
the guy says its 15% protein mix of 50% corn, alfalfa, soybean hull, & peanut hull. it looks good but is that a good mix? if not what should i feed them?
With the exception of the peanut hull pellets everyone of those ingredients will cost $250 UP to the feed mill. Peanut hulls are nothing more than low quality filler so check for the amount of these pellets in the mix especially since you alread have the high quality soyhulls in the mix.I'd also question the 15% protein int he mix as all those ingredients are well below 15% crude protein with the exceptin of the alfalfa and it will usually only be 17%.

Latest posts