need some advice

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My hay quailty is low and I have several calves that I am considering creep feeding{59 to be exact}. I have the cows dry lotted since all my grass is gone. The calves are of various ages since I the last cows I bought calved pretty scattered out. How many pounds of feed would you limit them to. How long would you feed them. Will I loose the gained pounds if I pull them off creep and put them on grass in a couple months or so? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!!



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> My hay quailty is low and I have
> several calves that I am
> considering creep feeding{59 to be
> exact}. I have the cows dry lotted
> since all my grass is gone. The
> calves are of various ages since I
> the last cows I bought calved
> pretty scattered out. How many
> pounds of feed would you limit
> them to. How long would you feed
> them. Will I loose the gained
> pounds if I pull them off creep
> and put them on grass in a couple
> months or so? Any and all
> suggestions will be appreciated!!

Carla: I would crep feed them free choice. The calves will prefer mothers milk and will eat the crep as a supplement. If they eat too much free choice, place the crep feeder outside the dry lot and let the calves in for about 1 to 2 hours each day. I have always left my cows and calves on pasture even if they had eaten most of it. They seem to always find something to eat and the exercise is always good for them. I take the hay and any suplements out to the cows. I use the woods to block the wind and they do fine.

[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Carla: I would crep feed them free
> choice. The calves will prefer
> mothers milk and will eat the crep
> as a supplement. If they eat too
> much free choice, place the crep
> feeder outside the dry lot and let
> the calves in for about 1 to 2
> hours each day. I have always left
> my cows and calves on pasture even
> if they had eaten most of it. They
> seem to always find something to
> eat and the exercise is always
> good for them. I take the hay and
> any suplements out to the cows. I
> use the woods to block the wind
> and they do fine.

I pulled them off the pasture because they were eating it down in the ground. I was afaird that I would have nothing but weeds next year. But as far as the creep feed goes, you don't think they will get too fat on unlimited feed. I'm really not set up where I can let them in for a hour or two a day. Thanks for your advice.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Most creep feeds are formulated with something to make them self limiting. If it is recommended for free feed, it will usually work that way. A lot of the formulations use salt as the limiter. If you have a salt fiend it work on that one but will on the others.

dun

> I pulled them off the pasture
> because they were eating it down
> in the ground. I was afaird that I
> would have nothing but weeds next
> year. But as far as the creep feed
> goes, you don't think they will
> get too fat on unlimited feed. I'm
> really not set up where I can let
> them in for a hour or two a day.
> Thanks for your advice.



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> Most creep feeds are formulated
> with something to make them self
> limiting. If it is recommended for
> free feed, it will usually work
> that way. A lot of the
> formulations use salt as the
> limiter. If you have a salt fiend
> it work on that one but will on
> the others.

> dun

The feed I buy is locally mixed and does not have a limiter. I have to tell them what % I want salt. My question is how many pds of feed should I limit them too. I know from past experience, not knowing they didn't put salt in there, that they will go thru it too fast and get too fat left on there own. I want them to gain well, but not be too fat, especially since it's not even time to wean them yet. Thanks for your advice!



[email protected]
 
OP
A

Anonymous

the problem i see w/trying to limit them is their different ages. the younger, smaller calves may not get their share if the bigger calves are limited & don't get free choice. they may eat their share plus some.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

> the problem i see w/trying to
> limit them is their different
> ages. the younger, smaller calves
> may not get their share if the
> bigger calves are limited &
> don't get free choice. they may
> eat their share plus some.

Hadn't really thought about it like that. Good point! After I got to thinking about it, I could possibly wean a few of the bigger calves early and then go from there. Most likly they would crowd out the smaller ones any way. I know the more aggressive ones will get most of the feed. As far as the # of lbs that they get, I may just have to experiment a little bit. I don't want them to look like barrels with legs, just kidding. Thanks for your help!



[email protected]
 

Latest posts

Top