Need some advice on holding my show steers weight...

Help Support CattleToday:

ShowKid_009

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a calf that already weights 1,150! Now the show isnt until August....I need to hold him back as much as possible...any ideas? or is this calf a lost cause...

No he is in a outdoor pen with 4 other calfs. And he is being fed 8 lbs. of a show ration and 2 1/2 lbs of beet pulp (just to help keep him full)...after he has finished eating (and he always licks the pan clean) he is give 2 flakes of grass hay and this is fed to him twice a day. (6 am and 6 pm)

What state do you live in? I know where we live our summers are so hot that during the months of June -Sept our calves slow way down on their rate of gain. Is your show the end of Aug? Is he a real large frame steer?

I live in Northern New Mexico (Moutains) I will start cold rooming them in the middle of next month...He is a large framed steer...now i just weighted him today and that was his weight..2 weeks ago he was 65 lbs lighter.. :help:

65 pounds in 2 weeks? That's 4 1/2 pounds per day weight gain. I don't know what your weight goal is, but you still have 90+ days. You can cut out the grain and feed hay, but he's still going to grow and you'll be left with a steer that won't win.

You can't starve him and win the show. Looks to me like you need to get something smaller and work with it for these few months.

ShowKid_009":2h3tkkkj said:
Hey all,
I have a calf that already weights 1,150! Now the show isnt until August....I need to hold him back as much as possible...any ideas? or is this calf a lost cause...
Why hold him back? what are you showing? I truly don't believe in holding steers back to produce a certain weight, feed him and walk him everyday turn that fat into mucsle

r and s peckman":1aztipol said:
You could turn him out onto the pasture. Then later bring him in and feed him.

That would be your best idea.....turn hm out to pasture and start feeding him again late June.

I'm no expert, but many people hold their steers at proper weight for long periods of time. I'd look for other advice than giving up on this steer. Look for advice from people that have actually done it and done it well.
Good luck.

mark":2b9nrkd5 said:
I'm no expert, but many people hold their steers at proper weight for long periods of time. I'd look for other advice than giving up on this steer. Look for advice from people that have actually done it and done it well.
Good luck.

I have done it and done it well. A growing young steer is going to continue to grow whether you feed it or not. It's in a growing stage of life. You're going to get bone growth, more height, more width, more everything. If you don't feed it properly, you're going to loose the fat first, then the muscle. As stated earlier, you can use this cow, but you probably won't win with it.