Need selling advise.

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I live in central Minnesota in an extreme drought area. I am also going 0n 74 years of age. Anyway I have a herd of 40 registered Hereford cows and two registered bulls. I am going to have to have to sell the cattle in a few weeks. The calves have been weaned, cows vaccinated, poured and over the years I have used AI and brought good bulls. The farm itself is is going on to the next generation. I am trying to avoid the sale barn if possible. My question is for a good place to advertise my cattle. I hope this does not violate and forum rules. I believe you can private message me. Thank you

Another option, especially if they're high quality cattle and you have a good auction barn you work with, is to let management know a few weeks ahead of time that you'll be bringing them, and when. They can get the word out about them, and maybe sell them in a group near the beginning of the auction.

I know auction barn practices vary widely from one part of the country to another, so I don't know if this would be a good plan in your part or not, but it would here.

Another option, especially if they're high quality cattle and you have a good auction barn you work with, is to let management know a few weeks ahead of time that you'll be bringing them, and when. They can get the word out about them, and maybe sell them in a group near the beginning of the auction.

I know auction barn practices vary widely from one part of the country to another, so I don't know if this would be a good plan in your part or not, but it would here.
Same here. Our barn advertises dispersal sales and they generally do quite well.

Word of mouth in your area? You usually won't get as many "tire-kickers" because people know your stock.

I would definitely suggest the Hereford Assoc. One of my neighbors (in KS) that raises Herefords bought quite a few from a recent dispersal sale in a drought state.

Craigs list has worked well for commercial MN cattle in the past,
but
It is hard to get a reasonable price in an extreme drought area.

I would talk to the guys you have been buying bulls from.
I would look into advertising in Missouri or Nebraska also.

I've bought cows and bulls off cattle range several times but only check it when I'm in the market. I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't make any money though. It was kind of an honor system deal and we all know how honest cattle traders can be.

I've bought cows and bulls off cattle range several times but only check it when I'm in the market. I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't make any money though. It was kind of an honor system deal and we all know how honest cattle traders can be.

I bought a couple bulls I found there also.

I sold a few on CattleRange back in 2007, when drought necessitated cutting the herd. Was a fairly painless deal. But... I can see how they could get screwed, if the seller didn't remit the payment.

I listed some heifer for sale there once. I got several calls after I had sold them else where. Took me a month to take the ad down.

Latest posts